Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Childrens Hospital Season 7

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 23, 2016, 07:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

The first episode is out and it's pretty strong, with the cast up to daft antics involving puppy fighting and murdering the Chinese mafia, amongst other things. It's a show which has been a bit patchy over the years but I thought season six was it's strongest yet, and hopefully it'll continue along those lines.

Thursday

Oddly enough season six left me feeling the show had started to feel a bit played out, Just seemed like it had done everything it could, 2-4 were the best years I thought.

Anyway thanks for the reminder to watch this.

kidsick5000

One of my favourite moments  (and most elaborate sight gag ever) from past series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmGTRuQ8J1E

Moribunderast

Episode 2 was very fun. Jon Hamm is always good doing silly comedy and he didn't disappoint here. Erinn Hayes was clearly having a lot of fun too - the segment with both mouthing silent "thank you's" was a highlight.

I feel like given the length of it's run and the style of the show, Childrens Hospital is kinda hard to discuss with any real interest these days but, at it's best, it remains very funny and a notch above most shows done in a similar style.

veletision

I love this show a lot. It I wouldn't mind if they took a year off and Wain did another series of Wainy Days

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on February 01, 2016, 12:26:41 AM
Episode 2 was very fun. Jon Hamm is always good doing silly comedy and he didn't disappoint here. Erinn Hayes was clearly having a lot of fun too - the segment with both mouthing silent "thank you's" was a highlight.

I feel like given the length of it's run and the style of the show, Childrens Hospital is kinda hard to discuss with any real interest these days but, at it's best, it remains very funny and a notch above most shows done in a similar style.

I liked it a lot too, and the 1,000,000 patients saved sub-plot, but like you say it's hard to talk about other than mentioning favourite moments or lines. It largely sticks to the same formula (anything goes daftness) and does it impressively well, but once that's been discussed there's not a lot more to it.

kidsick5000

This episode must have had the most cast members together for some time.
Poor Chief...

Thursday

The latest 50's variety show episode was incredible.

kidsick5000

..or maybe as a cigarillo.

The Children's Hospital drama was great.

And it's always good to see Just Falcon in whatever incarnation. His eyes are glazed over even when kicking a clown.

Ant Farm Keyboard

There's actually another Just Falcon episode coming up this season.

Small Man Big Horse

I've just watched the last three episodes and loved them all. The 50's variety show was definitely the highlight, but the Doctor Beth episode was really strong as well and in the latest episode the incest stuff was really funny, despite the potential to be horrible. Blake's semi-paralysed award acceptance was the highlight though, and a really great bit of physical comedy.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Small Man Big Horse

That makes me sad. This latest season has been a joy, and given how much they like playing around with the format I'd hoped they'd carry on making it for a few more years.

kidsick5000

My first thought was that it must be too much of a headache trying to get the cast together. Shows how much I know.

Favourite part of this week:
"Catholic hello"

Small Man Big Horse

So this has been pretty strong so far, and there's only one episode to go, but I have to say I'm not gutted it's cancelled now. It's been consistently enjoyable, with one or two stand out episodes, but it's lacked the invention and unpredictability of last season.

Also: Here's one of those "Oral History Of A Show" articles, which makes for interesting reading: http://www.wired.com/2016/04/childrens-hospital-oral-history/

Small Man Big Horse

Well that was a pretty damn superb series finale. The first third makes it seem like your standard offbeat episode, with some great bits of daftness with Glenn and Owen and Si, but then it becomes much more complicated and delightfully ridiculous. And then there's the final scene, which works as a superb punchline for the episode and the whole show. The only weird thing was the complete absence of Blake, especially as Corddry wrote the episode, but maybe he was a weird computer glitch or something. Anyway, a brilliant way to end it all, and I'll look back on this show extremely fondly, and one that never aired a bad episode.

Also: Here's the AV Club review, which sums it all up far better than I can: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/childrens-hospital-finally-reaches-end-end-235413

veletision

CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL IS BACK..........

..... in a way

"Medical Police - Netflix Orders Childrens Hospital Spinoff Starring Erinn Hayes and Rob Huebel"

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/12/medical-police-netflix-orders-childrens.html

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: veletision on December 22, 2018, 10:46:41 PM
CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL IS BACK..........

..... in a way

"Medical Police - Netflix Orders Childrens Hospital Spinoff Starring Erinn Hayes and Rob Huebel"

https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/12/medical-police-netflix-orders-childrens.html

That sounds great, it's weird it's Netflix rather than adult swim but I'll definitely watch it when it comes out.

remedial_gash

Nothing much to add but  yay!

I still remember being mildly confused by 10 minute episodes with endless recaps and oddly extended lesbo scenes - oh how it grew!

...and the series developed too! Baddum etczzz.

Thursday

Something that gave me the joy Children's Hospital did sounds good right about now.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The new show is in some way a realization of Jason Mantzoukas' idea to turn Childrens Hospital into a procedural (which resulted in the "Childrens Lawspital" episode).

Anyway, great to have the show back in some form.

cliggg

This is very good news! I'm looking forward to it. Did anyone ever watch the Children's Hospital tie-in show Newsreaders? I remember trying to get it over here but I couldn't find it. Is it any good? I think I'll try look for it again in the new year.

BeardFaceMan

I remember liking Newsreaders quite a lot, the first season being better than the second, some of the replacements and people they brought in didnt really work for me, still worth a watch though,  very similar sense of humour to CH, obviously.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: cliggg on December 23, 2018, 09:03:22 AM
This is very good news! I'm looking forward to it. Did anyone ever watch the Children's Hospital tie-in show Newsreaders? I remember trying to get it over here but I couldn't find it. Is it any good? I think I'll try look for it again in the new year.

I liked it a lot and have it my external hard drive, if you can't find it anywhere I'll upload it somewhere.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Newsreaders was very hit and miss, as even the episodes had segments put together by totally different teams. My least favorite episode is the one about the gay camp, which was written by Michael Showalter. There is just one joke you can see coming from miles around, about the parallels between the summer camp and a concentration camp.

McQ

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 23, 2018, 11:08:25 AM
I liked it a lot and have it my external hard drive, if you can't find it anywhere I'll upload it somewhere.

Ooh, yes please!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: McQ on December 24, 2018, 11:29:31 PM
Ooh, yes please!

I'm back home on the 29th so will dig it out then.

Small Man Big Horse

Apologies for the delay but I've just uploaded Newsreaders, if anyone wants the links just pm me.