Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:34:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Which living musicians death will upset you the most?

Started by Nowhere Man, February 01, 2016, 09:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Frederick Nathaniel "Toots" Hibbert
Morrissey
Shane McGowan
Tom Waits
Stuart Staples

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that the first thought that came into my head when reading that subject line was Morrissey, which surprised me, but he was my teenage gateway to everything that means something (culturally) to me now, despite the fact that he has turned into a twit.

Brundle-Fly

Any of this shower. 

I cannot abide people who melodramatically post/tweet "Another part of my childhood gone..." whenever some pop cultural figure from their distant past dies (or gets on the sex offenders register) but if I was ever to type that trite statement, it would be when a member of Madness carks it. They have been forever ingrained into my teen years happy memories bank but also remain in my affections as an adult to this day.

Basically, Nutty Boys, don't die. Simple enough request.

Brundle-Fly

great_badir

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 03, 2016, 11:14:55 AM
However I saw them at the first Wall concert in 1980 at Earls Court and they were
fucking amazing and is still one of the best shows I've ever seen.

God, I hate The Wall.

Sorry.

Crabwalk

Crabwalk

Another one that is upsetting to even contemplate:

Head Gardener

Quote from: great_badir on February 03, 2016, 01:14:36 PM
God, I hate The Wall.

Sorry.

not the new Wall, the old one, the good one, the new one has had plasterboard tacked to it with artex on top & painted orange.

wosl

When Jody Stephens eventually goes (he's currently a healthy-looking 63) that'll be the whole of the original Big Star wiped out (ditto for their UK power pop brethren, Badfinger, when Joey Molland pegs out) :-(

great_badir

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 03, 2016, 01:58:34 PM
not the new Wall, the old one, the good one, the new one has had plasterboard tacked to it with artex on top & painted orange.

I mean the old one. 

Except Comfortably Numb.  A exceptional classic.

Head Gardener

Quote from: great_badir on February 03, 2016, 02:34:50 PM
I mean the old one. 

Except Comfortably Numb.  A exceptional classic.

did you see it in 1980 though? it was way ahead of it's time, the CN bit was one of the best bits though[nb]apart from the airplane crashing into the stage bit [/nb],
Gilmour standing on top of The Wall with the light shining out of his arse, unforgettable

great_badir

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 03, 2016, 02:39:43 PM
did you see it in 1980 though? it was way ahead of it's time, the CN bit was one of the best bits though, Gilmour standing on top of The Wall with the light shining out of his arse, unforgettable

I was 1 in 1980.  So no.  But I have seen and heard the bootlegs, before it was easy to do so (I was big on the record fair scene in the 90s - looking back on the money I spent......).

Much as I love Floyd, I've never connected with The Wall.  To me it just sounds like a typical Roger Waters solo album.  I prefer Divison Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason[NB]I admit at this point that that is largely because of Learning to Fly, which is one of my favourite Floyd songs[/NB].

I have seen Waters doing it live.  Much the same.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 03, 2016, 01:16:50 PM
*Barry Andrews leaves thread in tears*

Find a picture of all five of them together though. You're quite right.

Soz Baz.

Head Gardener

Quote from: great_badir on February 03, 2016, 03:08:41 PM
I was 1 in 1980.  So no.  But I have seen and heard the bootlegs, before it was easy to do so (I was big on the record fair scene in the 90s - looking back on the money I spent......).

ah well it was so long ago, my memories may have grown more affectionate with time, but yes I know what you mean
about the boots from those shows - I visited New York in '81 and came back with 3 x double vinyl copies of the UK show[nb]long since flogged for florins[/nb]
and the quality was rubbish to be honest so I had no qualms letting them go, they will be worth a bit now though no doubt.

Nowhere Man

That weird moment when you remember that Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and David Bowie have outlived David Bowie.

[nb]I meant Fats Domino but I kept Bowie's name twice because thats funny[/nb]

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 03, 2016, 01:09:37 PM

Any of this shower. 

I cannot abide people who melodramatically post/tweet "Another part of my childhood gone..." whenever some pop cultural figure from their distant past dies (or gets on the sex offenders register) but if I was ever to type that trite statement, it would be when a member of Madness carks it. They have been forever ingrained into my teen years happy memories bank but also remain in my affections as an adult to this day.

Basically, Nutty Boys, don't die. Simple enough request.

Well, one of the Specials has gone. Which I found quite upsetting.

Icehaven

How upset the death of someone I don't actually know is quite dependent on circumstances really, I mean Bowie's was a shock because he wasn't really that old, no one knew he was ill, he'd literally just put a new album out, and he didn't seem old because he hasn't really been seen in ten years. Similarly Joe Strummer's death knocked me sideways because it was out of the blue and it was the first time one of my musical heroes died. However if, say, Mark E Smith were to die I'd be sad, but not surprised (who would?), so I don't think it'd be as jarring and upsetting.
Morrissey I guess, even though overuse of the phrase 'the often controversial/contentious star' accompanied by stuff from Meat is Murder would make his death more annoying than upsetting (which he'd probably like). Also any of British Sea Power because I love them and they're all still really young.
I though John Cale was dead the other day because I put C4 News on and there was footage of 'I'm Waiting For My Man' with audio of an interview with him, but he was just plugging new stuff and tolerating Matt Frei indirectly asking him if he thought he might be next to pop off.   

Dannyhood91

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 03, 2016, 04:28:14 PM
That weird moment when you remember that Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and David Bowie have outlived David Bowie.

[nb]I meant Fats Domino but I kept Bowie's name twice because thats funny[/nb]

Is Little Richard the most deluded thinker of "I bet no-one knows I'm wearing a wig" since Frankie Howerd?

great_badir

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 04, 2016, 08:44:39 AM
Is Little Richard the most deluded thinker of "I bet no-one knows I'm wearing a wig" since Frankie Howerd?

Especially as all he needs to do is wear a military themed hat.

Mind you, judging by the look on his face, I think he has actually died, it's just no one's told him yet.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

"Why the fuck haven't *I* got a military themed hat?" Jerry Lee Lewis is despondently thinking to himself.

Look at him, he's well pissed off.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

"Or socks, come to think of it. What *am* I like?" he doubtless goes on to think to himself.

great_badir

The worst thing is that they all went there for a piano-off.

Ahhhhh, Chuck.  Poor Chuck.

mobias

Kate Bush
Mike Oldfield
Peter Gabriel
Jean Michel Jarre.

Those are the first four names that spring to my mind. All four have been a major musical influence on my life at one point or other. Three of them are getting on a bit and one of them, Oldield, has seriously burnt the candle at both ends in his lifetime so it wouldn't surprise me if he goes early.

Neil Young is 70 now, and has already had a brain aneurysm, but there's life in the old dog yet I think (hope).

Brundle-Fly

Larger than life musicians that some I have mixed feelings about but I can't ever imagine any of them not being alive because death doesn't quite fit in with their remit on this planet.

Jarvis Cocker
John Lydon
Dolly Parton
Rod Stewart
Madonna
Cliff Richard
Bono

Lemmy and Bowie broke the rules recently.

QtheRaider

Paul Oakenfold... Only joking I hope he F#^king dies tomorrow

George Clinton on the other hand would be a sad loss

DrunkCountry

Tom Waits. There are others but, like Beefheart before, Waits going will be a gaping loss. Magpies, collaborators & inventors both, you can hear their influence all over the place.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 03, 2016, 01:04:40 PM
I'm slightly embarrassed to say that the first thought that came into my head when reading that subject line was Morrissey, which surprised me, but he was my teenage gateway to everything that means something (culturally) to me now, despite the fact that he has turned into a twit.

Morrissey has actually been quite selfless, in a way. By taking shit after shit after shit over his once peerless legacy, he's ensured that in the wake of his eventual passing the overriding emotion felt by many who once idolised him will be a strange kind of relief. I may feel slightly sad but I won't cry.