Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:32:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good films currently on Netflix

Started by Sam, February 01, 2016, 07:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 26, 2016, 02:35:46 PM
If you or your friends/partner are looking to watch something without any violence, I would recommend the very well made Brooklyn. It has its faults, but I think it hangs together very well.

I found it to be the cinematic equivalent of a slice of brown bread. Offering the illusion of substance, but utterly without value.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 26, 2016, 02:41:34 PMI found it to be the cinematic equivalent of a slice of brown bread. Offering the illusion of substance, but utterly without value.

An extremely common opinion.

I actually found it refreshing for its lack of ambition to tell a huge, momentous story about emmigration, and instead went for something more about simple human relationships. I grew up for a lot of my childhood around the area it is set (in Ireland) so I am a bit biased.

Van Dammage

Had to read the novel in school. Put me right off the film.

Dr Syntax Head

I'm about to be really annoying, possibly (even more so being new). I haven't looked at all of the posts in this thread so the following film may already have been mentioned.
Coherence. I loved it because it genuinely unsettled me. It's pretty obvious what's happened after the first venture out of the house by those two dudes but it's handled so well. I find the concept terrifying. Lovely film.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on August 03, 2016, 08:40:35 PM
I'm about to be really annoying, possibly (even more so being new). I haven't looked at all of the posts in this thread so the following film may already have been mentioned.
Coherence. I loved it because it genuinely unsettled me. It's pretty obvious what's happened after the first venture out of the house by those two dudes but it's handled so well. I find the concept terrifying. Lovely film.

It's a variant on two other films with almost identical structures -
Spoiler alert
Timecrimes
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Triangle
[close]
I enjoyed it, but I would say it was the weakest of the three.

I watched a film on Netflix the other night called The Invitation. It's an incredibly bleak psychodrama. Mostly great.

Pit-Pat

Yeah, I enjoyed The Invitation as well. It's clearly a totally unfair comparison, but I'd seen Star Trek 3 earlier that day and was struck by the huge difference in both quality and resources between them.

Custard

Yeah, I enjoyed The Invitation too. A real slow burner, but the pay-off is good

neveragain

A Single Man - fantastic. Very clever lighting.

Still Not George

Was poking around for something to watch this morning and I noticed that recent Tom Cruise run&gunathon Edge of Tomorrow was on Amazon Prime.

Very pleasantly surprised to find it's a) really good and b) possessed of a very amusing gallows humour. It's amazing how much entertainment value there is in watching Emily Blunt shoot Tom Cruise in the face. A lot.

Thomas

Another 'yeah, The Invitation is good' from me.

I watched Faults (2014) yesterday. Leland Orser and Mary Elizabeth Winstead and a blackly comic, unsettling 93 minutes. Looks lovely, too.

It's the debut feature film of one Riley Stearns. He both wrote and directed it. A name I'll be following.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Still Not George on August 21, 2016, 10:29:58 AM
Was poking around for something to watch this morning and I noticed that recent Tom Cruise run&gunathon Edge of Tomorrow was on Amazon Prime.

Yeah it's lots of fun. Not quite as good but far better than I thought it would be is Cruise/Diaz vehicle Knight & Day.

mr beepbap

yeah also enjoyed 'edge', Groundhog Day and Starship Troopers combo!

Gwen Taylor on ITV

A Man for All Seasons has come up on it recently.  Sort of like a 1960s Wolf Hall with a cameo from Orson Welles as Cardinal Wolsey.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Still Not George on August 21, 2016, 10:29:58 AM

Very pleasantly surprised to find it's a) really good and b) possessed of a very amusing gallows humour. It's amazing how much entertainment value there is in watching Emily Blunt shoot Tom Cruise in the face. A lot.

If I was a better verbwhore, I would have posted something similar a couple of weeks ago.

The final third doesn't really work, but it doesn't shit the bed. It's very much Groundhog Day for stereotypical men who are worried they might not understand a joke but know how shooting something works.

Bad Ambassador

New on Netflix next month: Tangerine (1st), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014), Flushed Away (both 15th) and The Big Short (23rd). Bit of a thin month.

Bazooka

Still waiting for all the Police Academy films.

Bad Ambassador

They've just added the film version of Z for Zachariah that came out in the US last year, and which stars Margot Robbie and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

And Chris Pine.

Yes, three actors.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on August 21, 2016, 10:37:30 PM
A Man for All Seasons has come up on it recently.  Sort of like a 1960s Wolf Hall with a cameo from Orson Welles as Cardinal Wolsey.

Yeah, and entirely the other way around in its sympathies. Since Mantel pointed out, in popular culture, that Thomas More was a religious fanatic it's been harder to identify with him.

It's a wonderful film though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2016, 08:36:49 PM
Bananas, Ip Man 1 and 2, Shanghai Soccer. The Raid 2 is on it as well, didn't even know there was one. The new Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon film is okay, undercooked but passable.

Thanks for the recommendation of Ip Man 1, I watched that the other day and enjoyed it a lot, though was a little dismayed afterwards as I thought it was based on a true story, whereas a lot of it was heavily fictionalised. I've heard the second film is decent fun as well, but apparently the third is a bit shit, can anyone confirm whether that's the case or not?

Obel

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 02, 2016, 05:51:24 PM
Thanks for the recommendation of Ip Man 1, I watched that the other day and enjoyed it a lot, though was a little dismayed afterwards as I thought it was based on a true story, whereas a lot of it was heavily fictionalised. I've heard the second film is decent fun as well, but apparently the third is a bit shit, can anyone confirm whether that's the case or not?

I can confirm Ip Man 2 and 3 are both a bit shit.

Herbert Ashe

Ip Man films, ranked:

1. The Grandmaster (the 2 hour version)
2,3. Ip Man: Legend is Born & Ip Man: Final Fight (The Herman Yau ones)
4. The Grandmaster (the crappy Miramax cut)
5. Ip Man
6. Ip Man 2

Not seen: Ip Man 3

Bad Ambassador

Only two notable films arriving over the next month: Mascots, the new Christopher Guest film, on the 13th and Werner Herzog's Into the Inferno, about volcanoes, on the 28th.

Sal Vicuso

The Big Short is now on Netflix, as is Thief, Michael Mann's first feature, starring Jimmies Caan and Belushi. Great movie that actually

Sal Vicuso

Oh and yet another +1 for the Invitation, great little thriller

Bad Ambassador

A big bunch of notable stuff coming out in December, including some very recent releases.

1st December
Stonewall
The Way Back

4th December
Into the Woods

10th December
Ender's Game

11th December
Anomalisa

12th December
Bone Tomahawk
Tale of Tales

15th December
Bedazzled

16th December
Barry

18th December
The Great Train Robbery

21st December
About Last Night
Deck the Halls
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Fools Rush In
On the Waterfront

22nd December
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Lo and Behold: Reveries of the Connected World

Christmas Eve
Diana

Christmas Day
Iron Man Three

27th December
Green Room

28th December
Big Top Pee-wee
Friday the 13th: Part 5: A New Beginning
Imagine That
Johnny Guitar
Nick of Time
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie

29th December
The Intervention

New Year's Eve
Criminal
Eddie the Eagle
The Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Little Men
London Has Fallen

Paaaaul

I've got the Lo And Behold Blu-ray on order. I think it's out two weeks before it hits Netflix.

Dr Rock

Miller's Crossing is on there at the mo, a film I've seen quite a few times but not for about 20 years. Never realised everyone in it is a gay.

Dr Rock

I think it's a great movie, the only criticisms I have is that Tom is just a bit too respected by absolutely everyone, it gets on my tits after a while. Also the end
Spoiler alert
Caspar the mob boss dies because he went to meet Mink (although really it's Bernie) and Bernie killed him, but I'm not sure Caspar would have risked the meeting, he would've sent probably have sent some goons or at least not gone there all alone. And then Bernie just gives him his gun, of course Tom is probably going to kill him, he betrayed and blackmailed him after he spared his life earlier in the movie.
[close]