Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,358
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "You have to see them live" arguement...

Started by Spiteface, October 22, 2004, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

Anyone hate this? You know, when you dislike a band someone else likes, and them they say you'll like them if you see them live.

Why the fuck would anyone pay good money to see a band that hate?

Opinions on this?

falafel

When I heard Ojos de Brujo, I thought they sounded like the Gypsy Kings and dismissed them straight away. But when I saw them at Glastonbury, they put on the most amazing show which completely converted me. I still wouldn't buy one of their CDs, though, because...

you have to see them live.

It's an infuriating argument sometimes, but I must say that seeing any band perform live, including ones I don't like, does genuinely tend to transform my appreciation of them. Apart from the Lostprophets, who I've always thought were shit and whose live performance only proved that to me.

So I suppose there are some bands who are quite clearly just as shit live as they are on CD.

That's why I like festivals. You can go for a little while to an act you might not like if there's nobody else on, and you might be surprised. If not, you can fuck off and you haven't wasted your money.

Neville Chamberlain

Hmmm, I suppose that's generally true. I hate Madonna, REM, Pink Floyd, and The Corrs and I wouldn't go and see them if they were doing a free gig in my back garden.

On the other hand, I'm no big fan of Sonic Youth, but I saw them live and they were mind-blowingly ace. I didn't rush out and buy all their albums, though (I've got Daydream Nation and Screaming Fields of Sonic Love and I can't help thinking that's all anyone really needs by Sonic Youth).

Same with the Smashing Pumpkins. I'm not all that bothered about them, but I was pleased I forked out to see them at the NEC as they were, undeniably, awesome.

Erm, I saw Minty live too and that was just a brilliant gig (though the fact the lady singer was starkers and I was standing right underneath her "fanny" certainly helped), though I had no inclination to buy any of their stuff.

Cardiacs, however, NEED TO BE EXPERIENCED LIVE!!! I know people who don't much care for them to be utterly blown away by their concerts when they've been dragged along - if not because of the music, then just because of the all-round oddness of proceedings.

Lumiere

I hated Green Day with a fiery passion, but then I saw them live and I thought they were farking good.

I still hate them, but acknowledge that they can be good live.

Fuckwittio

Quote from: "Jim"
On the other hand, I'm no big fan of Sonic Youth, but I saw them live and they were mind-blowingly ace. I didn't rush out and buy all their albums, though (I've got Daydream Nation and Screaming Fields of Sonic Love and I can't help thinking that's all anyone really needs by Sonic Youth).

Conversely, I've seen them a couple of times and they were fucking terrible.
Avant-wank nonsense. They even pissed off some of the die-hards in the crowd. Excellent band on record, though.

Lumiere

Led Zeppelin are vaunted as one of the best live acts in the history of ever, and some say that a live record is the best way to hear true Zep. But if I wanted to introduce someone to Zep, I certainly wouldn't play them a live record, due to their extended jams and freakouts which can be excessively dull.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: "Jim"On the other hand, I'm no big fan of Sonic Youth, but I saw them live and they were mind-blowingly ace. I didn't rush out and buy all their albums, though (I've got Daydream Nation and Screaming Fields of Sonic Love and I can't help thinking that's all anyone really needs by Sonic Youth).

I'd still recommend Nurse to you though, album of the year and all that.

As much as I hate to say to say it, Slipknot are so-so / bit crap on record but live they are amazing.  There is always a leaning towards better live or better on record with any band but with them the gap is huge.

And yes it is an irritating argument, as if you're not allowed to form an opinion about anyone without having seen them.  It's all part of the whole indieoneupmanship thing like when people say 'Humph, of course they're shit now, when I was into them they were top, unsigned, still in the fucking womb...  Ugh, the Dublin Castle is like sooo commercial these days.'  And so on and so on.