Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which film have you watched the most?

Started by Custard, February 11, 2016, 09:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Does that sentence work? Sorry, I'm half alive this morning

Mine is easily Back To The Future II. When I was a kid, I'd watch it then immediately rewind the tape and watch it all again. Then again. Seriously must have seen that film a good 30 times in my life. It's not even my favourite film, but I absolutely adored it as a kid.

As an adult, it might be In Bruges. I've sat through that at least 5 times, and again two weeks ago.

Seen Nolan's Batman films several times each, and all Tarantino's films, mainly Basterds and Django in the past few years

I'm not a big one for rewatching the same film over and over, but every now and again something really connects with me and I feel the urge. Think I might do so with the new Star Wars once it plops out into the shops, as I've been thinking about it a fair bit since I saw it

How's about yous? Anyone watched Das Boot 12 times in a row?

Hollow

Fire Walk with Me, or Robocop.

Threads has been watched a lot.

I've watched In Bruges a lot too, perfect film.

When I was a child i watched a lot of horror, NOES, Alien, The Terminator, lots of Arnie films actually, Die Hard.

But I think i watched Airplane the most.

Steven

Withnail & I

Quite a bit, actually.

To an autistic level.

Before it might have been An American Tail: Fievel Goes West, which I think as a kid I had counted to watching at least 80 times. I really should be exterminated.

hayduke_lives

The Muppet Christmas Carol. Every Christmas since 1992 I reckon. I make no apologies for this.

Trailing behind would be the first Star Wars trilogy, Jurassic Park, and then probably No Country For Old Men. I can watch and watch that film for some reason.

Bhazor

Probably Monty Pythons Holy Grail. I think I watched that daily for two weeks when it first came out on DVD.

Shaky

Probably a tie between Ghostbusters and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

By Christ, I know every inch of those bastards.

In Bruges will be that with time. Whenever it's on TV I'll watch the whole thing. It always moves me and makes me lugh like a drain.

Zoolander on VHS as it was the only video we had on a trip around New Zealand back in the day. Watched it every day.

Sinbad's House Guest which I still evangelise. Phil Hartman and Sinbad in a pretty solid comedy. The final act gets a bit shit but before that it's good. Although perhaps Stockholm Syndrome.

zomgmouse

If you count commentaries and so on, I've seen Hot Fuzz close to ten times now. After that it's likely Once Upon a Time in the West which I think I've seen five times and then Monty Python and the Holy Grail with perhaps four, maybe. I lost count.

Otherwise I try not to rewatch stuff a lot. There's too much stuff out there that I haven't seen yet!

Icehaven

Midnight Cowboy and Chaplin, for very different reasons. MC I re-fell in love with about a year ago, watched almost every day for a few months but have got it down to about once every 3 weeks now. Chaplin I've watched several times a year since it was released , mainly because I like looking at Robert Downey Jnr. when he was that age, and it's the only half decent film he made in the 90s as he was a bit busy being an almighty fuck up (although The Last Party, a doc he made about the American elections in about 1993 was alright, and he's quite sexy in it, but it's only on the youtubes and the quality is a bit shite.)

phantom_power

It is probably films that I saw when I was younger before the days of downloading anything you want. When choice was limited you watched what you had over and over.

Therefore it would probably be a toss-up between ET (first pirate video we owned), Robocop or Evil Dead 2 (films I owned on video as ex-rentals and watched over and over again) or Star Wars (taped off the telly, owned on video and watched loads when I was a kid). Possibly also something like Raiders of the Lost Ark or something that I have seen on the telly loads

great_badir

I've seen Blade Runner, my favourite film, literally hundreds of times.

Jaws, I've lost count.  Probably even more than Blade Runner - despite having owned and watched it over the years on VHS (more than once, having worn out my very first copy, and then getting it for a third time when the widescreen version came out), laserdisc, DVD and now blu-ray, as well as every cinema re-release since the early 80s, I still even watch it every time it's on TV.

Christmas Vacation every christmas since about 1991, and a few non-chrimbo viewings as well.

I've probably seen Sorcerer about 20 times.

The most times I've ever gone to the cinema to see a new-release film is 5, for Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

Kane Jones

Without question, Raiders Of The Lost Ark. I worked out when I was about 15 that I'd seen it about 50 times, and I've watched it once a year since then. So I've seen it about 75 times then. I even made Thomas watch it last year when he visited as he'd never seen it.

This shows no signs of letting up. Next month I'm going to see it at The Albert Hall, with a live symphony orchestra playing the score. I feel as though my whole life has been building up to this point.

great_badir

Quote from: Kane Jones on February 11, 2016, 01:24:43 PM
Next month I'm going to see it at The Albert Hall, with a live symphony orchestra playing the score. I feel as though my whole life has been building up to this point.

Will the film be playing silently (so you just see the film rather than hear the soundtrack) with the orchestra playing constantly, or will the orchestra just come in at the appropriate moments?  Or will it be a mix, where the orchestra's/film's volume is adjusted as necessary?

I've thought about going to one of those types of things on a number of occasions - there have been numerous times when The Taking of Pelham 123 has been given the same treatment - but never got round to it.

Kane Jones

Quote from: great_badir on February 11, 2016, 01:29:48 PM
Or will it be a mix, where the orchestra's/film's volume is adjusted as necessary?

This, I hope. I know every shot, every line of dialogue and every note of the score from this film, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works. If it does, it should be incredible.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phantom_power on February 11, 2016, 01:01:33 PM
It is probably films that I saw when I was younger before the days of downloading anything you want. When choice was limited you watched what you had over and over.

That's the case with me too, I hardly ever watch anything a second time these days no matter how much I loved it. So the films I've watched the most would be eighties fare like Highlander, Clue, Better Off Dead, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Little Shop Of Horrors. All of which I'm very fond of to this day, but only the last one would make it in to my top 10 favourite films list.

greenman

Quote from: Shaky on February 11, 2016, 11:32:38 AM
Probably a tie between Ghostbusters and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

By Christ, I know every inch of those bastards.
Probably up there for me as well, maybe Empire Strikes Back and Big Trouble In Little China to.

Norton Canes

Not sure. I don't really re-watch many films, not obsessively anyway. I guess Star Wars or Raiders must be up there, simply through being on telly so much. Same with Brendan Fraser's The Mummy, which seems to have been on Channel 5 each month for about a decade now and which I always end up watching at least some of (mostly for Rachel Weisz, sigh).

I would like to think the answer is Life Is Sweet, but in reality I suspect even the likes of Toy Story are ahead of it.

mook

upstream colour. definitely must have seen an uncountable number of times. it begins as a puzzling but reasonably coherent film - much of the beginning is a disturbing and unpleasant but somewhat interesting sequence in which a woman is kidnapped and kind of hypnotized. while some of it doesn't make much sense, i could think of explanations for why things happen they way they do, and the odd, distanced, no-affect acting is appropriate to what is going on. give me a stalk on like a nobodies business.

NoSleep

There's several films that I've watched again and again; I couldn't really tell which I've watched the most. Here are some:

Eraserhead
Wise Blood
Evil Dead I, II & III
The Thing
Mirror
Solaris
Stalker
This Is Spinal Tap
American Splendor
Mean Streets
Q The Winged Serpent

Some films lend themselves to this, whilst others (that can still be regarded as favourites) don't demand to be watched again. I think it's films that rely on the performance, the moment or the spectacle that are worth watching again. A film can have a good story which doesn't require that you watch the film again (you know how it concludes, so why?)

madhair60

The Blues Brothers probably I don't know how many times though

Possibly 6,345,789?  hahaha

wait, that's from 2000.  I've seen that fewer times.  2000 times aaaaaah no, no.  here's the next post:

monolith

Went through a phase in my teens where I would ditch school, smoke weed all day and watch Friday and Pulp Fiction. Got to the stage where I could accurately recite the first hour or so of Pulp Fiction. Watched PF recently and whilst it's still good, I think I've worn it out.

Had a Western phase in my 20s and Once Upon a Time in the West was the go to film. Could watch it every night for a while but have worn that one out a bit now too.

Star Wars OT I've watched many times in every decade of my life and I don't think I'll ever get bored of it, watched it again over Xmas and it still doesn't bore me.

And I could never tire of Blade Runner no matter how many times I watch it, despite it being quite a boring film in terms of "stuff happening". The visuals and music alone put me in to a trance like state that no other film can.

purlieu

Trainspotting, one of very few films I taped off the TV as a teen and one I watched probably once a fortnight for about five years. I've seen it plenty of times since then, although Withnail & I has probably been my most watched film of the last fifteen years.

They're the only films I've intentionally watched more than five times.

Puce Moment

I would say that this is a mixture of my childhood obsessions and my stoner years between the ages of 15-19 when I became normal for me and a couple of my mates to stick on the same films every week.

I reckon I've got a decent idea of the top ten (Edit: Twelve):

12. Reservoir Dogs
11. Goodfellas
10. Scum
9. Meantime
8. American Werewolf in London
7. Stalker
6. Psychomania
5. The Wild Geese
4. Withnail & I
3. The Shining
2. 2001
1. Apocalypse Now

I do wonder whether I have seen certain films that screen on TV ubiquitously the most as well without realising. Die Hard, Back to the Future, ET, Superman, etc.

mothman

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Blade Runner.

The original three Star Warses.

True Lies.

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

Office Space.

Star Trek: First Contact.

samadriel

Wayne's World, Terminator 2, Clue, Back to the Future. Obviously my compulsive film watching period coincided with the height of the video rental industry, and with me being approximately 11. I recently rewatched The Addams Family and found I knew nearly every line. Funny how things can stick with you at that age.

Se7en and Wayne's World 2. I remember a good few years ago when I was on the dole that Se7en used to be on about four different cable channels during the course of a week, so it was always on. I'm not great at remembering movie quotes or song lyrics, but I can quote loads of bits from Wayne's World 2.

Puce Moment

An interesting question, and one that I often ask people, are the films most viewed on your own as a kid.

As a 12-year-old I became obsessed with The Wild Geese after taping it off TV one night (I would set the video to record late night films without my parents realising). It's full-on, especially the Roger Moore heroin force-eating scene.

Oh yeah, I realise that Moonraker is another one of my most seen films.