Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:27:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Trip Series 3

Started by Beagle 2, February 11, 2016, 03:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 11, 2016, 01:08:56 PM
Is it just me, or were both those Mick Jagger impressions absolutely shite? I was expecting Phil Cornwell to walk up to them, and say "Just what the FUCK is that supposed to be?"

I've lost track of whether we're still supposed to think they're kind of arseholes. I mean, Brydon's impression of Jagger involves Jagger at a party shouting to him in the voice of Brydon imitating Michael Caine in Series 1 - that has to be a joke to make us think the Brydon character is an egotist, and possibly lying, surely?

the science eel

I don't like Coogan very much but his Jagger there was very good.

But they're a pair of wankers and I have no interest in what they get up to on their expensive trips. Even Clarkson wouldn't go public with his admiration for Alanis Morrisette.

I'd love to see them get hacked to bits by an indignant chef in some costly little Michelin spot in the Lakes after they sneer at his pastries. Now THAT'd be a fine way to finish off this tedious little show.

neveragain

greenman

One difference of course is that a lot of their "standards" are now no longer among the living, Ronnie, Wogan, etc.

Coogan's Jagger isn't that bad but doesn't really go anywhere much although I spose that's the case with a lot of them, Micks public persona not IMHO being well suited to comedy of any depth.

Replies From View

What was the thing of series 1 and 2 having 'feature length' edits that were released separately from the episode versions?  I'm unaware of any other comedy series having that treatment.  I've seen them and I found them more tiring to watch than the episodes, despite having half the amount of content.

greenman

Quote from: Replies From View on December 11, 2016, 02:28:32 PM
What was the thing of series 1 and 2 having 'feature length' edits that were released separately from the episode versions?  I'm unaware of any other comedy series having that treatment.

Most comedy series aren't made by film directors I spose.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on December 11, 2016, 01:22:17 PM
I've lost track of whether we're still supposed to think they're kind of arseholes. I mean, Brydon's impression of Jagger involves Jagger at a party shouting to him in the voice of Brydon imitating Michael Caine in Series 1 - that has to be a joke to make us think the Brydon character is an egotist, and possibly lying, surely?

Or Brydon attempted a Jagger impression and it lapsed into Michael Caine by mistake, so he covered it up.  (I'm assuming a degree of improvisation in these episodes.)

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: Replies From View on December 11, 2016, 02:32:01 PM
Or Brydon attempted a Jagger impression and it lapsed into Michael Caine by mistake, so he covered it up.  (I'm assuming a degree of improvisation in these episodes.)

But Jagger was doing a famous Michael Caine misquote.

popcorn

I loved series two, but prefer series one for its windswept northern English settings. I thought that was such an interesting juxtaposition. Still it was nice to do something different for the sequel, so I'm a bit disappointed they're doing another sunny mediterranean trip.

the science eel

Quote from: popcorn on December 11, 2016, 03:34:38 PM
... so I'm a bit disappointed they're doing another sunny mediterranean trip.

I'm sure THEY'RE not!

PAIR OF TOSSERS

The Duck Man

Quote from: greenman on December 11, 2016, 02:27:04 PM
One difference of course is that a lot of their "standards" are now no longer among the living, Ronnie, Wogan, etc.
That's true, Brydon's been killing them off in 2016. Makes me fear for Alan Bennett.

Depressed Beyond Tables

You can't really slate a show like this because:

It's an excuse for them to go on holiday/eat nice food.
They've set the expectation level low.
At best it's very funny at worst a bit cringey.
Even at its weakest it's better than Housewives of Beverly Hills or whatever else you watch in your pants.
It's an edited improvised chat with little regard for plot.
I doubt they really give many shits what people think of it as they've had a gay old time.

Starts on 6 April on Sky Atlantic.

Icehaven

Quote from: dirkgonnadirk on March 19, 2017, 01:21:43 PM
nice article in the guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/mar/19/trip-to-spain-rob-brydon-steve-coogan-i-like-it-when-people-think-this-is-real?CMP=twt_gu

I know little of how TV program making works but that article suggests that rather than the BBC not picking it up (which I'd taken to mean buying after it was made), they would have actually funded it's production, which they apparently offered less cash to do than they did for the previous series, which is their reason for taking it to Sky instead. Although it's a bit rich of Coogan to make a thing of his objections when, as the article fails to mention, all the recent Partridge stuff has also been on Sky.

dirkgonnadirk

i'm certainly not an expert either, but my understanding is that what you're hinting at 'independently funded and then distribution rights sold later' pretty much only takes place in the world of smaller movies, or if you're louis ck making horace and pete.

the tv world involves commissioning a bunch of different pilots, and then commissioning (paying for) the rest of the episodes to be made. the bbc would have first refusal in their contract and elected not to pick it up, leaving coogan and brydon free to go elsewhere.

Noodle Lizard

I really, really like both of these - just to say.  It must be what other folk get out of travel shows or reality shows - just enjoying spending time with the characters in whatever location.  I also thought the end of the first series was genuinely affecting - the second one less so.  Then again, I have a soft spot for "things where not much happens", so I'm predisposed to be into it.

So I am looking forward to this.

jobotic

Still prefer it if wasn't all incredibly expensive restaurants in places for the filthy rich.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: jobotic on March 20, 2017, 09:35:37 AM
Still prefer it if wasn't all incredibly expensive restaurants in places for the filthy rich.

They're millionaires playing themselves writing a food column for the Guardian - that's the premise of the entire thing.  I don't understand that criticism at all.

One of my best TV/food experiences was watching this whilst eating a Subway sandwich.  Just tuna, a bit of spinach and red onions, some olives.  It was a footlong, Italian bread, toasted.  Really nice!

jobotic

Yeah, it's not really a valid criticism at all, just personal. It mars my enjoyment a bit 'cos I'm bitter and don't like lifestyles of the rich and famous. Obviously if they're playing fictionalised versions of themselves it won't be one Happy Chef omelette after another.

Mind you, i still enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm. look, just ignore me okay?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: jobotic on March 20, 2017, 09:57:02 AM
Yeah, it's not really a valid criticism at all, just personal. It mars my enjoyment a bit 'cos I'm bitter and don't like lifestyles of the rich and famous. Obviously if they're playing fictionalised versions of themselves it won't be one Happy Chef omelette after another.

Mind you, i still enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm. look, just ignore me okay?

I suppose in Curb he spends a fair bit more time associating with the great unwashed, and is generally depicted as being a bit out of place among the rich and famous.  Understandable.

Icehaven

Yes even though it does seem a bit daft and annoying it's also realistic. Look at the comments under a good proportion of the Guardian's restaurant reviews and it's people with exactly the same criticisms, ''Why are you reviewing places only bankers and celebrities can afford to eat?'' Even if that's a bit of an exaggeration it is something papers do and have done for a long time, review places very, very few of the readers are ever likely to visit (if only for reasons of geography as much as money). They do it with travel destinations quite a lot as well, it's a kind of aspirational thing I suppose, I guess some people enjoy reading about these things precisely because they know they're probably never going to experience them themselves. And also why a fancy place getting completely slated is so satisfying, it confirms you're missing nothing and the rich idiots are wasting their money.

BritishHobo

Every episode of this is available via Sky boxes.

If you haven't got Sky Atlantic, a kindly soul has uploaded episode 1 here (and will probably put all of the others up as and when).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5hg3nm_trip-to-spain-the-01-couchtripper_fun

Or get yourself a free Now TV trial and they're all on there.

amnesiac

No reviews here yet? For the record I thought it was entirely forgettable and I won't be watching any more (big fan of S1 & 2 though, I'm not just a hater).

olliebean

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on April 06, 2017, 11:29:09 PM
If you haven't got Sky Atlantic, a kindly soul has uploaded episode 1 here (and will probably put all of the others up as and when).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5hg3nm_trip-to-spain-the-01-couchtripper_fun

Well, it's there, but the quality is pretty rank. Used up my Now TV free trial ages ago, so I guess this is the best I'm going to get.

ASFTSN

Episodes 1 and 2 of this felt like I'd left Series 2 on in the background and was watching it with half an eye.  A few laughs but probably time to leave it now, lads.  I liked the Spanish Inquisition bit.

Mango Chimes

Mm, this feels even slighter than the previous two. Still nice enough, but feels like they've given up any wafer thin pretence that they're doing anything other than improvising sketches for a TV show (where before they were I think vaguely more plausibly having off-camera conversations). And episode 2 especially feels edited from not much material, so it's a huge amount of them saying "this is lovely" and shots of the kitchen, around these mini sketches.

Can someone dredge up the previous series thread?  I remember being just over the other side of this "eh, it's okay" hillock and enjoying that one more.

Mini

I enjoyed the first episode, particularly Coogan's Mick Jagger impression. It continues to be the most gentle show on TV.