Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:09:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Spatchcock"

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, February 14, 2016, 09:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

This name suddenly came in to my mind this morning, with the strong sense that it's a "comedy" name. Is it from Python? Or a Fry&Laurie sketch? Or a recurring character in something else? It's bound to be something really obvious, but I can't make the connection right now.

marquis_de_sad

I will forever associate it with Adam Buxton's impression of Zane Lowe. Can't find a video online (been taken down it seems), but the last comment on this page quotes it. Spatchcock.

Catalogue Trousers

Yeah, I think that Adam and Joe were the first to use it in a comedy context. It's the name of a telly series involving a hard-case detective in the Adam and Joe Book.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on February 14, 2016, 09:27:49 AM
This name suddenly came in to my mind this morning, with the strong sense that it's a "comedy" name. Is it from Python? Or a Fry&Laurie sketch? Or a recurring character in something else? It's bound to be something really obvious, but I can't make the connection right now.

The first time I heard that word was in "I'm A Calebrity Get Me Out Of Here" the one Biggins was on, they kept giving them a "spatchcock" for their dinner which turned out to be some sort of flattened chicken.  For that reason, the word will forever be associated in my mind with Christopher Biggins.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Yeah, the fake TV listings in the Adam and Joe Book was my first exposure to the wonderful world of Spatchcock.

Steven

A guy I used to be friends with had a channel on YouTube called Spatchcock, I think cos he worked in a kitchen in that there London. He did do some funny videos taking the piss out of conspiracy shite like Alex Jones.

Alex Jones Eats Child was another one I remember finding funny.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on February 14, 2016, 10:29:10 AM
Yeah, I think that Adam and Joe were the first to use it in a comedy context. It's the name of a telly series involving a hard-case detective in the Adam and Joe Book.

Did not know that. When I first came across the word (2011 going off the timestamp) I imagined it as a Sean Connery film/character from the 70s.[nb]this should be taken as a criticism of Adam & Joe's obvious line of thinking :P[/nb]. Main reason being itsh a very shir shean word to shay...Shpatcshcork!

weekender

All well and good, but I bet it's because of spatchcock chicken.

samadriel

Grant Spatchcock's Gourmet Pizza was a sketch on Get This, repeated at the start of the show a couple of times.

Bhazor

I'm pretty sure spatchcock  was one of the pg swear words suggested on A Bit of Fry and Laurie. Along with Pimhole.