Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:36:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Of Thrones - Season 6

Started by NoSleep, February 15, 2016, 08:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: monolith on March 28, 2016, 02:07:28 PM
seeing as this is 2016, where the grim reaper has decided to commit genocide on celebs then he'll be lucky to get even the sixth book out.
Death only took out the Beatles producer by mistake.

EFB

Stannis is definitely
Spoiler alert
deaf.
[close]

Bazooka

Lets be real, is this going to be as fun to watch as Daredevil series 2 or the last series of The Walking Dead? I think not. Fuck you The Soprano's and The Wire for raising the bar so high.

BritishHobo

Daredevil season 2 bored the absolute fucking piss out of me. Watching Stannis on his many adventures is going to be much more fun.

grainger

I hope Stannis is dead, not only because I hate him, but because I hate it even more when shows keep bringing back people from the dead. And I hate even more than that the fact that genre fans have been trained to disbelieve any death unless the entire body is seem to be atomised, and then dumped into a black hole, and then God appears and destroys the black hole, and then the narrator says "and so passed so-and-so, never, ever to return, under any circumstances". It's beyond pathetic.

And I also hope John Snow isn't dead, and I will be genuinely angry if he is.

thraxx

Quote from: grainger on March 30, 2016, 08:34:12 PM
I hope Stannis is dead, not only because I hate him, but because I hate it even more when shows keep bringing back people from the dead. And I hate even more than that the fact that genre fans have been trained to disbelieve any death unless the entire body is seem to be atomised, and then dumped into a black hole, and then God appears and destroys the black hole, and then the narrator says "and so passed so-and-so, never, ever to return, under any circumstances". It's beyond pathetic.

And I also hope John Snow isn't dead, and I will be genuinely angry if he is.

If you hate characters.coming back from the dead then Game of Thrones is not for you.

BritishHobo

I am with you on fake-out deaths, to be fair. I think they're fucking weak, dramatically. If you're not killing a character, don't trick people into thinking you are. It's a lazy way to create drama, by peppering in shock moments that don't actually have any impact on the character or the story. Either kill a character or don't, don't faff about inbetween - that's why I went off Heroes. This is likely the reason I am wary of not actually seeing a death occur onscreen;  I don't trust 'em not to be tricking me.

mothman

Quote from: thraxx on March 30, 2016, 08:38:30 PM
If you hate characters.coming back from the dead then Game of Thrones is not for you.

That, and Paul Kaye's assumption, that Dennis Pennis will always be the most unpopular character he'll ever play, could be about to be thoroughly dispelled.

sprocket

Quote from: mothman on March 30, 2016, 09:28:10 PM
That, and Paul Kaye's assumption, that Dennis Pennis will always be the most unpopular character he'll ever play, could be about to be thoroughly dispelled.

I pray to the old gods and the new that doesn't mean his Bet Victor ads are coming back.

grainger

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 30, 2016, 08:40:52 PM
I am with you on fake-out deaths, to be fair. I think they're fucking weak, dramatically. If you're not killing a character, don't trick people into thinking you are. It's a lazy way to create drama, by peppering in shock moments that don't actually have any impact on the character or the story. Either kill a character or don't, don't faff about inbetween - that's why I went off Heroes. This is likely the reason I am wary of not actually seeing a death occur onscreen;  I don't trust 'em not to be tricking me.

Indeed - and it just weakens future attempts to create tension or drama. Genre fiction needs to stop bringing people back. It really, really does.

grainger

Quote from: thraxx on March 30, 2016, 08:38:30 PM

It's find in specific cases, when this is foreshadowed - especially with minor characters - like the Mountain. It's only shit when a big drama is made out of major character dying, and then he or she is brought back with (to intents and purposes) no consequences, especially if it's done casually, multiple times (e.g. later seasons of Farscape).

wooders1978

This had going last night

Oh you absolute FUCKS sky

Gulftastic

A glimpse of the steps to Girona Cathedral in the Sky Atlantic trailer. A few years back, when we were drunk and invented a group called 'Northern Xposure', the second imaginary album was to be called 'Standing On The Shoulders Of Christ', with an album cover shot there.

I may take a bus trip back there when I'm in Spain for my holidays in June, and see if there is any cashing in on the GoT connection.

Gurke and Hare

Oh, Girona's lovely. I too have a photo of the cathedral steps:

IMG_1328 by Tim, on Flickr

What is it being used as a location for?

mikeyg27

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 09, 2016, 09:27:21 AM
I'll miss "Watch The Thrones", the Grantland video podcast where they reviewed / explained every episode. Does anyone watch anything similar? While I have no desire to re-read the books, it was fun to be reminded of stuff that had gone on, and I liked their insight.

Good news for you! It's becoming After The Thrones, and is actually now part of the HBO umbrella.

monolith

Quote from: mikeyg27 on April 04, 2016, 06:35:25 PM
Good news for you! It's becoming After The Thrones, and is actually now part of the HBO umbrella.
At first I only read the opening sentence to this post and thought you were just taking the piss out of the guy.

Spiteface

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 02, 2016, 06:40:28 PM
Oh, Girona's lovely. I too have a photo of the cathedral steps:

IMG_1328 by Tim, on Flickr

What is it being used as a location for?

They haven't shown Casterly Rock on the show yet have they? Could it be that?

BritishHobo

I've just seen an Ian McShane interview on BBC Breakfast from a month ago that I'm amazed nobody is talking about. Don't watch it if you don't want spoilers, because despite making out like he's not allowed to say much, he drops a fucking clanger about his character that's both itself a Spoiler and also confirmation of a bigger, more specific Spoiler.

EDIT: There's a later interview as well where he openly confirms the spoiler. Really amazed I've seen no discussion of this. Maybe I should start a book spoilers thread just to discuss it.

wooders1978

Or spoiler hide it in this thread u noob

NoSleep

Nah... let people go look for it themselves, then not bother mentioning it again.

BritishHobo

Alright! I know some people don't like book spoilers being mentioned at all, even behind spoiler tags, and that that's been a source of conflict before, so I thought I'd avoid it.

It'll literally be the first result for 'ian mcshane game of thrones', you haven't got to solve the Da Vinci Code.

Hangthebuggers

My thoughts. Stannis is dead. John Snur will warg into his wolf like Gareth from the office did with his eagle and then be rez'd by Melisandre sacrificing herself. He'll be cleared of his vows and go to Winterfell with a wildling army. Maybe a giant Wunwun will help him regain the castle.

Dany will convince the dothraki to join her cause by some dragon bullshit and will meet up again with Jorah the explorer and what's his name,  leaving Tyrion to deal with the politics of Mereen.

Cersei will use Franken-mountain to destroy the faith.

Theon will save Sansa as a part of his redemption arc and will leave to the iron isles after helping John Snur and Sansa capture winterfell.

Hangthebuggers

I also think Jaime will kill Cersei after the locals of kingslanding get wind of her using a dead Mountain to cheat her way out of her her redemption. I think those wildfire stashes will go up in flames, destroying the city. Dany will get the blame i think?

NoSleep

The wildfire stashes were all used up by Tyrion, trashing Stannis' fleet.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2016, 11:15:18 PM
The wildfire stashes were all used up by Tyrion, trashing Stannis' fleet.

The pyromancer mentioned forgotten caches from the mad king's rule .

NoSleep

Weren't those the same ones that Tyrion was shown because he enquired. That was "forgotten" inasmuch as the alchemists had been quietly beavering away making more and more of the stuff because nobody had really checked what they were up to (presumably since the days they were under instruction from the Targaryens).

NoSleep

Hmmm... something's ringing a bell about there being wildfire specifically planted around Kings Landing for the express purpose of torching it, were there to be a reason.

That might not have been mentioned directly in the show but may have featured in a DVD extra.

Hangthebuggers

Yeah Jaime killed the Mad king's pyro. I seem to remember 'lost' caches. Tyrion didn't use the last.

Mister Six

Quote from: NoSleep on April 07, 2016, 12:08:17 AM
Hmmm... something's ringing a bell about there being wildfire specifically planted around Kings Landing for the express purpose of torching it, were there to be a reason.

Wasn't that the Mad King's plan? Blow up King's Landing so he could watch it all burn?

Custard

But then no one could be king

How selfish