Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:40:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Street Fighter V

Started by Shay Chaise, February 16, 2016, 09:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

I haven't made a single post about frames so I assume you have a more general bugbear.

You can play rushdown style (as I do when I feel they're on the back foot or just for the mind games) and throw loads of moves out there inviting punishment but it's narrow minded to think that's the only fun way to play. I personally find it quite pointless and boring to fight people who can't defend my attacks, it just becomes combo practice. It's also how every beginner plays.

Any success or fun you had was based on using the right moves at the right time. Whether or not you understood the theory, it's still what underpins the entire game. I understand that you may feel there's some purity of experience in ignorance but it's like the inverted snobbery of the band who wants to tell you they don't read sheet music.

The Masked Unit

I'm just saying it's all a bit too complex and serious for my liking these days. My liking.

Shay Chaise

It completely depends on the level and way you want to play it. The theory and frame data stuff has existed since SF2. You'll find lots and lots of casual players having a good time spamming shoryuken and trying to do critical arts every time they build meter. Nowt wrong with that. You're just going to get beaten by someone who blocks and punishes.

Spiteface

Quote from: The Masked Unit on February 27, 2016, 08:40:11 PM
I was a very competent sf2 player back in the day, knew many others, and none of us ever got board with playing an attacking, risky and fun style. I appreciate things have moved on, but all this frame counting shit can fuck off, personally speaking.

I agree fully on this. There's no excuse for not being able to throw a dragon punch, but I can't be arsed with frame data and all that. I just want to punch fuckers in the face.

I'm not sure what I dislike more, the no throws/special moves are cheating/"wait a sec let me work out what my moves are" mentality, or the joyless super technical side.

I'd say the super-technical stuff has been massively toned down in this one.

I saw one discussion in the Steam Forums regarding the frame data for one of M. Bison's moves and the window of opportunity in counting the frames is so small as to basically be luck.

It's much more about timing, blocking and punishing and as a result I've had quite a few fights end with time outs rather than KOs just because everyone is holding back a lot more. You could argue that makes it less fun but there's something satisfying in a more defensive game, for me.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Spiteface on February 28, 2016, 01:27:58 PM
I agree fully on this. There's no excuse for not being able to throw a dragon punch, but I can't be arsed with frame data and all that. I just want to punch fuckers in the face.

I'm not sure what I dislike more, the no throws/special moves are cheating/"wait a sec let me work out what my moves are" mentality, or the joyless super technical side.

Who says it's 'joyless' to have a deeper understanding of the mechanics? You? Winning a really competitive fight in SF is one of the most properly heart pounding ecstatic experiences in gaming. Heck, losing a really competitive fight isn't that far behind!

Remember, as I've said several times: You can play SF and enjoy it on a totally arcadey button bashing level, nobody is saying otherwise. On the other hand, you and the other fella do seem to want to dictate the ceiling at which other people should enjoy this game.

I haven't labelled anyone a scrub or disrespected the casual player. I'm well up for people just playing this game, enjoying it and swelling the player base. That's why I'm a bit disappointed by the judgemental reaction towards engagement on any other level. With all due respect, have some basic respect.

Mango Chimes

You like playing defensively, aye?

Shay Chaise

Heh. Funnily enough, I play as Ken, one of the flashiest rushdown characters in the game and my technique rating is 80% offensive. As I've said, I play right up in their face, constant footsie pressure, using his run V-Skill to close distance, trying to get knockdowns, tick throws and keeping them guessing on the back foot. I'm only defensive about judgemental attitudes! :)

The Masked Unit

I think you might need to get a grip, lad. Nobody's slagging off your mum.

Shay Chaise

I've discussed it 100% reasonably. If you prefer to be reductive and sarcastic, that would neatly mirror your impulsive, ignorant approach in the game.

The game you've not played.

But feel compelled to give your opinion on.

lazarou

I'm not sure what you think you're going for, but you've been coming off like a bit of a passive aggressive arse.

Shay Chaise

Many of the posts in this thread have been people who haven't played the game criticising both the game and the people playing it, for the way they play it.

I know this isn't the shoryuken forums, but I wouldn't go in a wrestling thread or Doctor Who thread and tell people they're watching it wrong.

I'm defending something I enjoy, and the way I and many others enjoy it. There's neither passivity nor aggression from my side, I'm very straightforward.

Edit: I am being a bore, though, I realise, so I'm happy to untie my knickers and get over it.

Spiteface

Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I bought this game today, and frankly, Mortal Kombat X(L) pisses all over it from a great height.  I have issues with the Story Mode (The daughter of Sonya Blade and Johnny Cage should not be punching out gods), but I feel like it is a better game and one I'm having a lot of fun with. That's never been the case before and I can't believe I just said it.

I'm going to give this more of a chance and when I'm used to it and have found a character I gel with (although I may end up just sticking with Ryu like I have for so long), I'll start going online with it (Once I actually pay for Playstation Plus), checking out the proper Story Mode when it finally comes out in June, but I'm not as impressed as I was with Street Fighter IV, even ignoring sheer lack of content.

Shay Chaise

So you're not actually playing other human beings online? Maybe get onto that.

Hollow

Quote from: Shay Chaise on February 28, 2016, 05:18:49 PM
Many of the posts in this thread have been people who haven't played the game criticising both the game and the people playing it, for the way they play it.

I know this isn't the shoryuken forums, but I wouldn't go in a wrestling thread or Doctor Who thread and tell people they're watching it wrong.

I'm defending something I enjoy, and the way I and many others enjoy it. There's neither passivity nor aggression from my side, I'm very straightforward.

Edit: I am being a bore, though, I realise, so I'm happy to untie my knickers and get over it.

I saw nothing wrong about how you were being.

You were just showing some in depth knowledge, not your fault some people just like thrashing at the pad like chimps.

Fuck 'em I say.

Spiteface

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 12, 2016, 08:15:09 PM
So you're not actually playing other human beings online? Maybe get onto that.

I plan to, it's just something that doesn't naturally occur to me usually. I'm also getting to grips with my new joystick [nb]Fnarr fnarr[/nb]!, so any skill I might have is even more piss-poor than it was currently too.

Shay Chaise

I was just surprised because fighting games have almost no value for me in SP, there's no mix up or mind game because the AI neither learns nor adapts, and characters always play the same way. The brilliant thing about online is fighting ten Kens in a row and them all being different.

I had a moan about the lack of game modes but aside from a proper training mode with trials, I wouldn't play anything but ranked online, as with SFIV.

Spiteface

I appreciate a well-done story mode, which, as I've said, the last few Netherrealm-made games have done rather well, but also stuff like Survival mode is something I enjoy, but not quite how SFV does it - I prefer the Tekken method of getting a little health back after every bout, and theoretically could go on infinitely provided you keep winning. Not a set number of fights.

That said, I finally went online on the weekend, making use of my 48-hour trial of Playstation Plus. I'll be forking out for a 12-month subscription later this week, to continue losing to everyone that comes my way. I am getting better though...

Shay Chaise

Survival mode exemplifies why fighting games are hollow in single player. Abuse sweep and random shoryuken/equivalent until the last couple of fights, when you will die because it reads your inputs. You can't program human mind games. My current practice is to throw no buttons except on reaction/to punish/tech throws, just find the distances which put me at an advantage and keep them guessing. The machine will never do this.

Spiteface

Ran into my first ragequitter last night. Some git playing Necalli, just as I was about to win round 1, the bastard disconnected. Couldn't even take losing ONE PISSING ROUND.

The update that's happening tomorrow still isn't doing a damn thing to penalise that stuff, though.

I miss Akuma. I know he's going to be in Tekken 7, but I always had a soft spot for him. He's not among the six DLC characters that have been confirmed anyway...

Spiteface

He's big he's blond, his theme goes with everything and now available in "Paul Blart" flavour, it's Guile:

Gameplay trailer

I never bothered with Alex when he came out last month, beyond doing his "story mode" for a bit of easy Fight Money, I suspect Guile will be the same for me as I don't get on with charge characters, but good to see him back. Would have expected him to be in the starting lineup over Charlie/Nash, to be honest.

Also:

QuoteWe're planning to roll out a system this month that will address the rage quitting issue in #SFV. More details coming soon!

On a vaguely-related note @ScrubQuotesX on Twitter is good for a laugh.

I do genuinely think R Mika needs some serious nerfing, but I did finally beat an R Mika player yesterday. Felt like a real breakthrough for me. The only problem I had with it was it wasn't a Ranked match.

Hollow

It's beyond shit that they don't punish quitters, but to call them 'rage' quitters is wrong and quite charitable, what they are is calculated cheating scum.

Swoz_MK

Fiiiinally got this. Its starting to click and Cammy is really working for me. Not lost a round online yet. Probably down to her not being massively different from IV.
This has stopped me from playing DS3 and I'm fine with that. I've missed SF/the FGC in general so much.
Gonna swap the stick out of my Venom though asap. Pretty bad. The buttons are excellent though and very quiet.

I haven't played since February, I'm sure that means that my days of doing even half-decently online are over. Will fire it up again if they've done some updates.

Spiteface

The servers are going offline for maintenance later today, in preparation for the new patch. Also some vague means of addressing ragequitting and tweaks to other characters.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/harrisony/blog/2016/04/27/sfv-guile-release-and-april-update-details

R Mika still needs some serious fucking nerfing. I don't care how much it makes me sound like a crybaby scrub, it's too fucking much and at times it gets in the way of me actually enjoying this (admittedly great) game.

Also, this is a thought I've had for a while. If R Mika's buttslap and Cammy's crotch were "censored" by altering camera angles like people claim, how come Laura's story mode alt is still this:

And this.

So arse-slapping and leotards are problematic, but Underboob and TINY short shorts and visible thong are totally fine? That's weird.

Spiteface

As suspected, I did Guile's portion of Story Mode for the fight money and am probably never going to use him again.

Oddly, in light of my last post in here, I am now maining Laura. My LP score is in the toilet right now, so I have little to lose in changing now after maining Ryu since Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Spiteface

Next DLC character to be Ibuki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8_CY3YECW0

Looks like she could be really annoying to play against.

Swoz_MK

And annoying to play as, unless you have Xian levels of execution.

Spiteface

Story mode is apparently up.

Waiting for it to download...