Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Street Fighter V

Started by Shay Chaise, February 16, 2016, 09:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

A shame that the moderately worthwhile SF chat dried up once the people who didn't own it decided that talking about how you actually play the game was killing the fun. This thread is now total AIDS.

Spiteface

Probably.

That update patch that went up on Friday? Still have to download an 8GB add-on with the actual fucking story mode in it. Bloody hell Capcom. And the DLC guys are behind a paywall. I have the Fight Money to buy one or two of them, but I don't care for any of them enough. Might wait and see with Juri and Urien though.

Mortal Kombat X is still better though. Less bullshit going with its release.

Swoz_MK

The story mode was three hours! was not expecting that at all!
My beloved Balrog is back and not toooooo much has changed. Except I've lost all muscle memory with charge characters when facing right.

Barry Admin

What do you guys think of season 2? Seen a fair bit of salt on YouTube about the changes, but people hate changes as a matter of course.

What's the cheapest I could spend to get playing SFV? I'm seriously toying with trying to save up a few hundred quid, or get a loan or something. Choices are either Nintendo Switch (which I doubt will have SFV, and I wouldn't get it for just Ultra SF2), but I'm leaning way more towards a PC or PS4. I'll probably start a new thread, cause I really need to get myself a new PC for working on this place, but if anyone has a rough idea of how much I could get SFV up and running for, please let me know. Could I like spend £150 on a laptop or something? I want it, I miss Street Fighter so much.

Shay's post about his SFIV training on page 1 has delighted me for days. I think it's because I admire the dedication and wish I could bring myself to work that hard these days.

biggytitbo

There's plenty of good YouTube vids about building budget gaming pcs. If you're willing to shop around on eBay you should be able to build something for £200 that will significantly outperform a PS4/Xbox one and get you 1080p/60fps on the latest games.

Swoz_MK

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 19, 2017, 12:02:29 AM
What do you guys think of season 2? Seen a fair bit of salt on YouTube about the changes, but people hate changes as a matter of course.

As a Cammy player you'll get no complaints from me, but Guile and Urien are even stronger than s1 and Balrog & Laura are the new Chun & Mika, unstoppable once they get an opening.
Akuma in the hands of great players is a sight to behold.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 19, 2017, 12:02:29 AM

What's the cheapest I could spend to get playing SFV? I'm seriously toying with trying to save up a few hundred quid, or get a loan or something. Choices are either Nintendo Switch (which I doubt will have SFV, and I wouldn't get it for just Ultra SF2), but I'm leaning way more towards a PC or PS4. I'll probably start a new thread, cause I really need to get myself a new PC for working on this place, but if anyone has a rough idea of how much I could get SFV up and running for, please let me know. Could I like spend £150 on a laptop or something? I want it, I miss Street Fighter so much.

Shay's post about his SFIV training on page 1 has delighted me for days. I think it's because I admire the dedication and wish I could bring myself to work that hard these days.

First of all, thanks, Baz. I appreciate the feedback. I wish I had the time to invest as much in SFV but those days are gone. Great times, though!

My honest opinion is that SFV is still not half as good as 4. It's easily my biggest disappointment of the last year in gaming. Maybe I just need to get better at it and I'd enjoy it more but experience now tells me that's not the case. It's just so much more simplified and the skill ceiling feels lower. That doesn't mean it's easy to win, it means that you're so rarely surprised. It feels like there's only one way to play each character. You just run up against people of varying ability to do the thing they're supposed to do with each character. Again, I accept that I'm not five percent as capable as I was with 4 so take it with a pinch of salt.

I'd recommend a PS4 for Bloodborne, but not this, and not for very much else.

Shay Chaise

Love is...

https://youtu.be/ol0cULzLdqw

This is basically why FADC is one of the most gloriously giddy, beautiful and stupid mechanics in any game ever. The level of 'flow' you feel when you're cancelling and linking and juggling is beyond words. Cancelling a flaming shoryuken on the first frame into a standing light punch, so they don't leave the ground, just get set on fire, absolutely no reason for it, a waste of meter but you feel like nothing else exists at that moment, and you don't even know what you will do next, you just do it. I only ever fluked anything like this shit but the one about 55 seconds in where Ken starts a combo with a KARA air EX tatsu I laughed out loud with the absurd beauty of it, proper Sisyphean FUCK OFF to entropy and the end of the universe. The pure meaningless joy of being here once. I hope we can do it all again!

biggytitbo

These games would be better if they removed the fighting. Far too much violence in games imho.

falafel

"KARA air EX tatsu"

Pls xpln?

I am intrigued but to an uninitiated me, that just looks like normal fighty game air-kicking...

Swoz_MK

It means cancelling one move during its first few frames (before the move is "active") into another to give you a positional advantage, a little different to how you would normally cancel one move into another for a combo/damage.

I'm only aware of kara throws so a kara AIR tatsu seems odd to me, although I've not watched the video. SFIV was full of impractical stuff like that.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: falafel on January 24, 2017, 07:10:53 AM
"KARA air EX tatsu"

Pls xpln?

I am intrigued but to an uninitiated me, that just looks like normal fighty game air-kicking...

As our mate said, basically. Ken in SF4 had this godly 'kara' glitch which you could do by 'plinking' out of his medium kick (which was a long range step kick) into another move. This meant that you would get the start up frames from the step kick which moved your character forwards a few frames and go straight into your next move. It was most useful for the kara throw because you could be outside normal throw range and kara in for the throw and I would abuse it obsessively. That was pretty much its only use. That said, because you could kara almost any special move, it led to things like that utterly unnecessary kara air tatsu, which is very very hard to do, to plink out of step kick into a jumping air attack. The best thing about it is that it has absolutely no benefit at all. It's virtually imperceptible to anyone who doesn't play the game. It's just the nth degree of kara, for no reason than the sheer fuck off of it.

falafel

(late back)

So then fighting games sound less like actual fighting and more like accelerated rhythm action glitch chess?

Shay Chaise

I always say it's like fast chess, yeah. There is technical ability and coordination and so on (and those vids above show how absurdly high the skill ceiling can be - that stuff is just not accessible to 99% of players) but managing the flow of a match is pure psychology. This sounds reductive but it's glorified RPS on one level, except you get to choose when to play rock, rather than scissors, based on timing, spacing, mind games, corner pressure and knowledge of the other player.

I don't know if you listen to the Cane and Rinse podcast but they very recently did a bonus episode, an interview with Ryan Hart, a UK based SF Third Strike player. He's the most successful European player and it was my favourite episode in ages.

I hardly touched Third Strike but he talked about his thought processes and training approach from when he first played SF2 in the arcades and eventually realising he was OK at fighting games, right through to the shock of first going to Japan as a European champion and finding that he needed to be at his very best just to compete in your average arcade, against one of very many local players.

It's fascinating stuff to hear him talk about how he perceives competitive gaming, and particularly the fighting game community, as well as the ins and outs of the mechanics and psychology of it all. I really recommend it.

Swoz_MK

I've no internet as I'm moving house (how am I posting this? ahhhhhh), is Kolln available yet?

Roark

Next Tuesday. Not sure of the time.

Swoz_MK

April's balance changes are now listed.
As a Cammy player I'm chuffed, and Zangief was someone I've been toying with and now he has three new moves! (and a Lariat nerf, boooo)

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/mar/15/street-fighter-5s-latest-balance-changes-revealed-available-end-april/

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Swoz_MK on March 15, 2017, 05:24:30 PM
April's balance changes are now listed.
As a Cammy player I'm chuffed, and Zangief was someone I've been toying with and now he has three new moves! (and a Lariat nerf, boooo)

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2017/mar/15/street-fighter-5s-latest-balance-changes-revealed-available-end-april/

Ken fucked again. Cheers.

Swoz_MK

Getting some DP invincibility back is a plus. Kind of.