Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Well there's Żuławski away

Started by DukeDeMondo, February 17, 2016, 10:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeDeMondo

One of the greatest living filmmakers is as of today one of the greatest used to be living filmmakers.

Possession, The Devil, The Public Woman... What a fuckin man. Nobody's films feel anything like his, for better or worse, but usually for the better.

EDIT: Can't find confirmation in English, but plenty non-English news sources seem to be confirming it.

Here, for example: http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2016/02/17/97001-20160217FILWWW00130-le-cineaste-polonais-andrzej-zulawski-est-mort.php

billtheburger

Just read confirmation on Figaro.
I've only seen Possession and Diabel & both are greats.
I've had On the Silver Globe in my cupboard for years and have still yet to watch it due to its 3 hour run time and appeasement of others.

DukeDeMondo

On The Silver Globe is remarkable, its only flaw being that David Blaine probably likes it a lot.

The Devil is my favourite, I think. God, what a fuckin filmography. I mean come on.

billtheburger

I watched The Devil on the big screen last year in a pretty crowded little cinema and it is a masterpiece of film.
& on top of that, it  gets bonus points for getting him banned from Poland & film-making for 7 years.

DukeDeMondo

Heh, indeed. In fact I think I remember you talking about that screening on here somewhere.

billtheburger

Ha. Yeah.
IDK. You all look alike to me.

Puce Moment

Ugh, I can't overstate my adoration for Possession.

DukeDeMondo

No. It is an incredible film. Properly hysterical.

"I feel nothing for no one!!!!"

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 17, 2016, 11:43:49 AM
Ugh, I can't overstate my adoration for Possession.
Me neither, remarkable stuff. Probably due another rewatch actually. Żuławski was going through a divorce at the time, who could tell?!

I've never seen any of his other films. The Devil and Silver Globe obv need to be watched post-haste. Any others stand out?

marquis_de_sad

Very sad. A really interesting director. Can cool people please stop dying please thanks.

Herbert Ashe

Anyone in that London might want to note down some dates in April: UK premier of Cosmos and 3 other Zulawski films at the ICA for the 14th Kinoteka Polish Film Festival. Link