Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Grimsby / The Brothers Grimsby

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 17, 2016, 08:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Seems to be two titles for this, one for the UK, and one for the rest of the world.

Here's the US trailer which makes it look vaguely bearable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1WTpKQXRSY

And here's the UK trailer which makes it look fucking awful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ3By6n8CI8

Won't be paying to see this, that's for sure.

olliebean

I've seen two trailers in UK cinemas, the first one made it look fucking awful and the second one made it look worse. Fucked if I'm going to watch any more. Looks like shit for cunts.

Icehaven

I've seen the trailer a few times now, admittedly wasn't paying full attention but I just presumed that was Rhys Ifans.

biggytitbo

Peter Bayhnam is behind this isn't he? Ohh Peter...

Kelvin

Hard to imagine how they could make the film seem any less appealing than in those trailers.

And yet they managed it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMNYvt12iQA

Steven

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 17, 2016, 10:41:32 PM
Peter Bayhnam is behind this isn't he? Ohh Peter...

But he did that ace Russell Brand remake of Arthur, how could it fail?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Kelvin on February 17, 2016, 10:59:54 PM
Hard to imagine how they could make the film seem any less appealing than in those trailers.

And yet they managed it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMNYvt12iQA

Jesus christ that was bleak. It's weird, I'd never claim to Baron-Cohen's biggest fan but I enjoyed Borat, Bruno and The Dictator to a certain extent, whilst this just seems fucking awful, real lowest common denominator stuff.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

I saw a "news" item on Yahoo the other day, that the audience of Jonathan Ross' show were shocked and delighted by the clip they saw.

An tSaoi

I can't stand SBC. The whole Ali G thing sort of passed me by, but I remember being vaguely entertained by the Borat segments (Throw the Jew Down the Well etc.). The Ali G film was a load of shite, the Borat film had lots of laugh on the first viewing and none on the second, and Bruno was a bit of a damp squib.

But the absolute nadir was The Dictator. It especially irritated me that he went out if his way to say that Aladeen is not an Arab even though the whole thing was clearly a spoof of Gaddafi & Saddam style Arab dictators from North Africa and Western Asia (with maybe a bit of the non-Arab Assad thrown in). It felt like he was trying to have his cake and eat it; he was wriggling off the hook just like Gervais and Morgana when they say their disabled characters aren't disabled.

I wondered where "Wadiya" was meant to be. Obviously it's a fictional country, but they showed a map in a spoof news broadcast, and it turns out it occupies the same area as the real world Eritrea. Not knowing anything about Eritrea, I looked it up and turns out that while it's not technically an Arab country (talk about plausible deniability), it had a significant Arab population, Arabic is one of its official languages, and it's a non-member observer state of the Arab League, with a possible eye on becoming a full member in the future. So it's the next closest thing.

Imagine a Muslim comedian portraying a character with a big hooked nose and a skull cap, who's greedy and scheming and obsessed with gold, and then trying to claim that it's all good fun because it's not meant to be a Jew. At least be honest about it. Aladeen is a sand n**ger[nb]irony[/nb]; Derek is a retard[nb]irony[/nb]. Don't try to hide it. It's faggotry[nb]irony[/nb].

To make matters worse the rest of the film was unbelievably low-brow and lazy, stuffed with the most staggeringly obvious jokes that a 14 year-old could come up with. It seems he's continuing that tradition with this film.

I'd love to seem him play an orthodox rabbi bulldozing a Palestinian family out of their home, but it's not going to happen.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Is he ever going to commit to that Freddy Mercury biopic?

Also, what happened to the proposed remake of Peter Sellers' The Party?

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on February 18, 2016, 10:25:53 PM
I saw a "news" item on Yahoo the other day, that the audience of Jonathan Ross' show were shocked and delighted by the clip they saw.

As were the Jimmy Kimmel Live audience when Kimmel did the exact same thing a couple days earlier.  https://youtu.be/wP_9wGAdrNQ

I couldn't believe it when Ross announced what was goin to happen like it was his idea. Between that and the comedian a guest or two later blatantly nickin Louis C.K's "I love my kid I just don't like her" business, I did start to wonder if everyone involved in the production was under the impression that no member of the public had ever seen or heard tell of YouTube.

That said, it was a brilliant way of promoting a film that the marketing materials suggest will be utterly fuckin vile. Who knows?

An tSaoi

Look at this shite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFCEBWkLwqc

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on February 18, 2016, 11:00:21 PM

I heard he got the boot because whoever controls the Mercury estate thought he was too R-rated for the famously G-rated Freddy Mercury. If the film ever gets made it's going to be completely sanitised.

Puce Moment

I imagine I will go to my grave having never seen this film.

It doesn't even look shit enough for fans or irony to ironically pretend they like it in an ironic way.

This is the clip the audience were watching on the Jimmy Kimmel and Jonathan Ross shows. 
Desperate stuff.

up_the_hampipe

It's a shame he's going the fully scripted route with his comedy these days. The only reason his crude jokes worked in his other stuff is because of the situation. The fact that Borat and a naked fat man are fighting through a real hotel in front of real people is funny, but that scene in a regular comedy would be pretty boring.

But I have never seen the Ali G movie (entirely scripted, wasn't it?) so I don't know if his humour worked in that instance.

An tSaoi

It was shite. I remember he gets chained to some railings in protest of summat or other, and an old cleaning lady comes along to polish his knob. Dreadful.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vtsQCG8Tag

It was an old blind man for extra lolz.

Tiny Poster

In the opening scene of Indahouse, he lets his dog Tupac give him oral sex. At the end of the film, there's an hilarious part where Martin Freeman and Tony Paul Way have funny gay sex.

He's always been this crass, just with the veneer of satirical respectability. Poor people are funny though, aren't they!

Steven

Ha ha, he's NORTHERN! Can you imagine? NORTHERN!

Quote from: An tSaoi on February 18, 2016, 10:52:02 PM
I can't stand SBC. The whole Ali G thing sort of passed me by, but I remember being vaguely entertained by the Borat segments (Throw the Jew Down the Well etc.). The Ali G film was a load of shite, the Borat film had lots of laugh on the first viewing and none on the second, and Bruno was a bit of a damp squib.

Which was a load of set up shite too. I mean.. he couldn't even be arsed to spend a month to learn to do two chords on a guitar, so it's literally just him standing there holding a guitar miming to a tape playing, so all the 'audience' there would have known the entire thing was staged setting to fuck all that up, completely artificial, but it's somehow social satire because y'know he's edited it to be such.

Tiny Poster

The
Spoiler alert
Cosby
[close]
gag in this, fucking hell http://youtu.be/I74xdlP9Gvw

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Shite.

Aiming at some non-existent county halfway between Liam Gallagher and Paul Calf and managing to end up with a pissed Alan Partridge. Couldn't be worse if they got Lee Nelson to redub all his lines.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on February 18, 2016, 11:00:21 PM

Also, what happened to the proposed remake of Peter Sellers' The Party?

You're not interested in Mike Myers' Keith Moon film?

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 19, 2016, 12:40:47 PM
The
Spoiler alert
Cosby
[close]
gag in this, fucking hell http://youtu.be/I74xdlP9Gvw

The last time Beethoven was associated with anything quite so shit was the 28th March 1945 performance of the Violin Concerto in Berlin, and at least then the Red Army was on the doorstep.

Brundle-Fly

I wonder if his gauche over sexed character will arrive on the red carpet for the premiere with a bevy of half naked models like he did with Ali G In The House, Borat and The Dictator? Not sure about Bruno premiere though.  In fact all his characters  happen to be gauche and oversexed, aren't they ?

Isla must be getting a little bit suspicious by now,  I would have thought ?

Quote from: Pit-Pat on February 19, 2016, 04:19:01 PM
The last time Beethoven was associated with anything quite so shit was the 28th March 1945 performance of the Violin Concerto in Berlin, and at least then the Red Army was on the doorstep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdLgRZmer6o

Quote from: Tiny Poster on February 19, 2016, 08:20:51 AM
In the opening scene of Indahouse, he lets his dog Tupac give him oral sex. At the end of the film, there's an hilarious part where Martin Freeman and Tony Paul Way have funny gay sex.

Then there's that bit at the very end, when he makes his erect knob 'dance', during a close-up on his trackie bottoms' front.

Pit-Pat

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on February 19, 2016, 07:12:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdLgRZmer6o

That is at least 49% better than Grimsby[nb]There's a scene with a man on a bed with a Beethoven and there's no actual penetration - SBC would see that as an inexplicably missed opportunity[/nb] and 67% better than Nazi Germany.

Brundle-Fly

Nice to see the "You'll have to suck the poison out" playground knob gag being dusted off after all these decades.

Steven

Ha ha, he misread Therapist as The rapist! That's a new joke I've never seen done before!

Sam

Mark Strong is usually pretty watchable. You Never know, this could be Freddy Got Fingered.

I wonder if the film is an allegory for the real life relationship between SBC and his respectable scientist brother.

mothman

I suspect SBC is trying to establish himself as more of a mainstream star as himself not his characters. His appearance at the BAFTAs last weekend for example, even if it was just to make a hamfisted jab at the Oscar noms. Shame then that this next film looks shite and he seems to have based his character on just watching a few eps of Shameless and others' Liam Gallagher impressions.