Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:50:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grimsby / The Brothers Grimsby

Started by Small Man Big Horse, February 17, 2016, 08:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

I'm struggling to see what this creation is supposed to be. "Haha, there's loads of people with sideys and mod haircuts and bizarre half-scottish accents in Grimsby!". I mean, there's not, so why call it " Grimsby"? Is it just "Northerners, lol!"? If it is I'm still confused, as only a small pocket of the South East of England really seems to find that an inherently funny idea, and he's trying to sell this around the world.

All very odd. Jokes looks dreadful.

Head Gardener

MuteBanana

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 26, 2016, 01:04:20 AM
Is the Tom Hardy Elton John one happening at least?

I'd forgotten about that. Hardy would smash that.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 26, 2016, 03:16:16 PM

Hells bells I thought that was photoshopped. It's not, is it?

Fuckin elephants, man. Nothin but a bunch of tits and cocks.

Glebe

^Elephantine woman destroys Portsmouth.

Benjaminos

Saw this tonight. I strongly recommend that you don't.

Lazy punching-down characterization (haha, poor people are stupid, drink heavily and have too many children) with a half-arsed attempt to redeem it at the end with a rousing speech to his fellow 'scum' that still manages to pack a couple more jibes in at the plebs. Sub-Ted style grossout sequences that don't actually contain any jokes (the infamous elephant sequence is a particular low point) and just rely on unpleasant and juvenile visuals instead. Over-reliance on AIDS as a punchline, Cohen's 'character' is paper-thin, and even the action sequences are weak.

Most criminally, it's just not funny. Kermode said in his review that it was like 'someone waving their bum in your face and going "errrrgh"'. That would probably make me laugh. Grimsby did not.

(Nice to see Peter Baynham on screen again though, even if it was only for about three seconds)

Garam

Quote from: Beagle 2 on February 26, 2016, 02:39:05 AM
I'm struggling to see what this creation is supposed to be. "Haha, there's loads of people with sideys and mod haircuts [...] in Grimsby!". I mean, there's not

This is incorrect. Trust me. Paul Weller is a god there. Gallaghers too. Won't have to walk far to see some mod haircuts and Fred Perry/Stone Island gear.

BlodwynPig

i saw his grimsby character (is that the brother's surnames too? - lazy shits) on football focus giving predictions about the football. BLAND. There was nothing to the character, nothing.

Small Man Big Horse

DukeDeMondo

So is Robbie Collin wrong as a boots, then, or is everyone else wrong? I could tell Kermode wanted to give it a good kickin but didn't because of Collin's review, which he did acknowledge, more or less. I find it hard to believe Robbie Collin is wrong about somethin, but it could happen.

In any case I'm gonna be too skint to see this until it's out on Streaming or whatever, so who knows?

Steven

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on March 03, 2016, 05:20:24 PM
So is Robbie Collin wrong as a boots, then, or is everyone else wrong?

What about the studio paying off a particularly noted critic to write a favourable review which will get enough bums on seats before the wave of yer actual word of mouth negative opinion comes in?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Steven on March 03, 2016, 05:45:55 PM
What about the studio paying off a particularly noted critic to write a favourable review which will get enough bums on seats before the wave of yer actual word of mouth negative opinion comes in?

What if the guv'ment planted a chip in his brain to make him find it funny?

Steven

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 03, 2016, 05:55:18 PM
What if the guv'ment planted a chip in his brain to make him find it funny?

Or just paid for his travel/tickets/meal/bar tab when he went to their offer of a screening and canapé social with Sacha and Mark Strong, the implication is to write a good review. Happens all the time.

up_the_hampipe

Sounds like one of your wacky conspiracy theories to me. Steven Ventura's at it again!

Tiny Poster

I'd be surprised if Strong and Cohen were at a press screening myself.

Steven

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 03, 2016, 07:08:06 PM
Sounds like one of your wacky conspiracy theories to me. Steven Ventura's at it again!

I've been to Plum Island, I've seen the documents, they made him do a good review of The Brothers Grim using MIND CONTROL waves from the HAARP system!

RenegadeScrew

I seen The Dictator and it was pretty bad, but this looks absolutely awful.  Absolutely everything that happens is ridiculous.  Wouldn't be surprised if the brothers both fly off at the end only to mistakenly fly up the arse of a giant pterodactyl, which then has its arsehole pecked by 1000 seagulls, delaying their escape. 

None it appears to be remotely funny either.

Rolf Lundgren

It's as you might expect it to be. If you hate Sacha Baron Cohen and gross humour then this won't win you over in any way. If you liked his previous work then you'll find enough here to make you laugh out loud a good few times.

In his other films it's all hinged on him driving the film but here he shares the load with Mark Strong and he has to because the main character here is cliched and dated. There are times where it feels like a southerner making northern jokes and it feels lazy compared to how well thought-out Borat and Bruno were. There's a montage in a pub where he and his mates are getting pissed while Tubthumping plays in the background and you briefly think you're watching a cheap British film from 1998. Nobby is more sympathetic than the trailers and marketing would have you think though. In someone else's hands it could have worked better so it seems like an odd choice for Sacha Baron Cohen to not play to his strengths and choose to create a role which is beyond what he can do convincingly. Where the film does become surprisingly good is with the childhood flashbacks. They're the few serious parts of the film and they're very well done considering they're out of tone with the rest of the film.

The infamous scene is pretty horrific but I have grudging respect that he doesn't do things by halves. It's graphic and disgusting but once it's over it's over and the joke isn't rehashed. If you're going to make a joke like that then he does the best thing for it by taking it to the limit and not watering it down later on. The HIV stuff falls a bit flat, I felt like I was missing out on an in-joke there, and other jokes are mean-spirited but for schoolboy humour it's better than most. Some of it is predictably silly and crass but it didn't stop me from laughing.

I listened to the WTF podcast where Maron points out it's a British film for British audiences but really that's not true. There are many concessions to American audiences that stand out awkwardly (a Bill Cosby reference, benefits called 'welfare') and other things that don't feel right for an English audience (Ricky Tomlinson, Johnny Vegas et al all being from Grimsby with no change in accent, unofficial England shirts and any football scenes looking jarringly fake). And speaking of accents yes his is awful as is Rebel Wilson's.

There's a few nice spots for comedy fans like the aforementioned Peter Baynham appearing briefly as well as John Thomson. Also I spotted Alex Lowe and Miles Jupp are in the credits as policemen but I completely missed them. Likewise David Harewood is billed quite high up in the opening credits yet I only saw him for about 3 seconds on screen.

Shaky

I hope Chris Morris gives Peter Baynham a pretty withering look next time he sees him in Tesco.

Glebe

Quote from: Shaky on March 04, 2016, 04:45:39 AMI hope Chris Morris gives Peter Baynham a pretty withering look next time he sees him in Tesco.

Why Tesco, Shaky? He could just as easily see him in Sainsbury's or Morrisons. Don't assume to know where the satirist Chris Morris or Baynham shop.

Having said that, Tesco is as good a venue as any. Baynham could perhaps hear, "Unexpected item in the bagging area," look down and see the satirist Chris Morris looking up at him mournfully.

Shaky

Quote from: Glebe on March 04, 2016, 06:21:00 AM
Why Tesco, Shaky? He could just as easily see him in Sainsbury's or Morrisons. Don't assume to know where the satirist Chris Morris or Baynham shop.

Having said that, Tesco is as good a venue as any. Baynham could perhaps hear, "Unexpected item in the bagging area," look down and see the satirist Chris Morris looking up at him mournfully.

No, it has to be Tesco, Glebe. You know that as well as I.

I suppose Baynham could just as easily shoot back with a devastating riposte or two. "How's that new radio series coming along, Chris? Sacha heard you've been working on it for 16 years. Hard going, eh? All them new words, I'll bet! Yeah. Well, have to go. Russell's parked outside with some whore triplets."

Steven

Polymath Liam Gallagher certainly won't be a fan of the movie about to warring Northern brothers.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Is it too late to point out the plot similarities to the Chris Rock / Anthony Hopkins "comedy thriller" Bad Company?

Glebe

Sacha Baron Cohen Explains Why He Left the Freddie Mercury Biopic.

Quote"[After] my first meeting, I should never have carried on because a member of the band —I won't say who— said, 'This is such a great movie, because such an amazing thing happens in the middle of the movie.' I go, 'What happens in the middle of the movie?' He goes, 'Freddie dies.' I go, 'So you mean it's a bit like 'Pulp Fiction,' where the end is the middle and the middle is the end? That's interesting.' He goes, 'No no no.' So I said, 'Wait a minute. What happens in the second half of the movie?' And he said, 'Well, we see how the band carries on from strength to strength.' And I said, 'Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from AIDS and then you carry on to see [what happens to the band]."

Fuck sake, that's a fucking terrible idea... 'You see how the band carries on from strength to strength,' indeed! Who's the guilty party? May? Taylor? Deacon? YOU decide!

Steven

Quote from: Glebe on March 09, 2016, 12:44:12 PM
Fuck sake, that's a fucking terrible idea... 'You see how the band carries on from strength to strength,' indeed! Who's the guilty party? May? Taylor? Deacon? YOU decide!

Glebe, you old cynic. That would be great, and the movie could end on May doing his orgasm face while playing a solo on top of Buckingham Palace, credits roll. LEGEND.

Kelvin

Quote from: Steven on March 09, 2016, 12:50:37 PM
Glebe, you old cynic. That would be great, and the movie could end on May doing his orgasm face while playing a solo on top of Buckingham Palace, credits roll. LEGEND.

There's no way they're going to make a film about that. The ending alone should last two hour. Three hour. Four hour.

Rocket Surgery

Steven

Fuck that, it should be all about May, listening to early rock and roll on the radio and getting a hankering for it, making a guitar out of a toilet seat, public school hi-jinks, there's a cameo featuring Bulsara asking to sing for his band and we can change it to Brian coming up with the Mercury name, the success of the Brian May Band, then meeting Anita Dobson and recording Anyone Can Fall In Love, could have a scene of him leaving a funeral a bit weepy but don't mention anything, don't want to upset anybody, then an uplifting bit doing mega-hit Driven By You, loads of ace animal activism stuff, a poscript about Queen the musical and then ending on his legendary concert on Buck Palace, the end, beautiful. No need to mention AIDS and bringing everyone down.