Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:10:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Triple 9

Started by Van Dammage, February 19, 2016, 11:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dammage

John Hillcoat (The Proposition, Lawless etc) directed crime / heist film about some corrupt cops and gangsters and all that jazz. Looks like it's going fairly under the radar, haven't seen many people talking about it, even though it looks fairly solid and has a good cast. Woody Harrelson, Casey Affleck, Norman Reedus,  Aaron Paul, that lad from 12 years a slave. I've only seen the Proposition from Hillcoat but was fairly impressed and this looks right up my alley. Going to see it this week and I'll post back when I do. Anyone see it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzyFNVbWPxI

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Van Dammage on February 19, 2016, 11:22:56 PM
Woody Harrelson, Casey Affleck, Norman Reedus,  Aaron Paul, that lad from 12 years a slave.
CHIWETEL EJIOFOR.

biggytitbo

weekender

^

Someone I was in the cinema with, who shall remain nameless, said they found it difficult to differentiate between Michael and Marcus, because they actually thought they were the same person.  Here are the two people concerned:

I'll be honest, I failed to see the resemblance during the film, on the grounds that they're clearly completely different people playing completely different characters, but I did feel compelled to question the logic.

My favourite - after "Some of it was at night, which makes it harder" - was, "There were tinted windscreens".

Fairly boring film though.  It just about kept me interested enough to watch to the end, but I'm never going to watch it again.

It wasn't bad, it was just sort of...there.

Van Dammage

Peru

Wow-this is a serious disappointment from Hillcoat. I'm amazed to see him produce something so utterly generic and uninteresting. I wasn't the biggest fan of Lawless but at least it felt like it had some character. This could have been directed by anyone. Boring characters that go nowhere, loads of exposition, dull storyline....very disappointing.

Puce Moment

I cannot figure out Hillcoat at all. Ghosts of the Civil Dead is one of my favourite films. When C4 screened it back in the late 80s I recorded it and watched it endlessly. It is utterly bleak - a completely depressing experience, which is hard to nail and Hillcoat gets it. The Road for me was a flawed masterpiece, I think I liked it more than most people. The Proposition, though, is a film I have never understood people bigging up so much. I find it too mannered, and the story quite boring, although the performances are very good. Lawless is the first film where I wondered whether Hillcoat has directing chops at all - it's a real mess. Triple 9 feels similar - there is no sense of mastery of cinema at all. It's shot with good cameras, and with an excellent cast, but the important stuff like tension, tone, theme and structure seems to go out of the window.

I was watching it in a cinema in Leicester Square on my own and I did something I never do - about 3/4s of the way through I checked my phone.

Watched this last night. Wasn't terribly impressed at all. On paper it looks like the all the hallmarks of a potentially good film but it just didn't seem to gel into a coherent plot  for me and felt disjointed and awkward in many scenes. It did start off well and I got the feeling it was strongly influenced by LA Takedown and Heat (same film really) with a promising bank robbery and shootouts scene. The acting was, mostly, good but I guess I lost interest when the whole Russian Jewish Mafia and FBI were all in cahoots (apparently) and switched off a bit then didn't really get what was going on, or care anymore.