Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:47:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Blimey, Grimes is pretty good in't she?

Started by Nowhere Man, February 22, 2016, 09:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

Why did no one tell me?!

I think I prefer the Realiti Demo version to the Art Angels version though.

Head Gardener

Kane Jones

DukeDeMondo

I like that video where she's doin Oblivion splootered on the E tabs. https://youtu.be/gIkurD710ZE

Think someone posted it on here a while back.

Also, yes, she is very wonderful indeed, I'd say.

Bhazor

The music is just about good enough to make up for the hair. I did think Art Angels was a bit all over the place though. Butterflies and Flesh Without Blood should not be with something like Scream. Either commit to pop or commit to avante garde. Don't try to shove them on the same album.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: Bhazor on February 22, 2016, 10:37:31 AM
Either commit to pop or commit to avante garde. Don't try to shove them on the same album.

Goodness, man, you've got David Byrne as your avatar!

Norton Canes

I won't pass judgement on whether avant garde is better than pop, but Visions was ten times better than Art Angels.

Nowhere Man

The singles i've heard are absolute stormers i'd say, Genesis and Oblivion especially.

Bhazor

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on February 22, 2016, 10:39:04 AM
Goodness, man, you've got David Byrne as your avatar!

If David Byrne had included a graphic  chinese rap track about horny murder rape in the middle of Buildings and Food, perhaps between With Our Love and The Good Thing, then you might have a point.

http://genius.com/Grimes-scream-lyrics

sevendaughters

new song is proper shite isn't it? like on the borderline of endorsing technocratic fascism bad? a kind of unthinking Riefenstahl level of awe at the very real problems in our future? whilst sounding like Stabbing Westward kind of bad? like, Grimes has no real history of lyrical irony or Situationist play, rather she's a sincerist who cosplays well. and - knowing that she hooked up with Musk over their love of Roko's Basilisk (which she sincerely believes in) and is now singing songs about becoming the obsequious lickspittle of a potential future AI that will enslave those who do not do its bidding right now in the present lest it torture our eternal souls permanently - well, it feels a bit sickening to me! am i overthinking this?

here it is in case you don't know it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG_4vJ4qNA

BlodwynPig

she collaborated with youtube weirdo Poppy recently and its quite something, if immensely obvious.

Norton Canes

God I haven't been so excited since I first plugged in my ZX Spectrum

jobotic

US bombs cruisin' overhead
There goes my love rocket red

chveik

Head Gardener

wosl

Blods, I think it was, alerted me (via the bait word "shoegazey") a couple of years back to one instantly lovely track, the Art Angels title track.  Despite liking it a lot though, I didn't really go on to explore Grimes further; in this case one track went a long way.  The magic of said track has since worn off a bit - its neon-pink sweetness can make it feel at times as though you're subjecting your lugs and brain to an OD of the aural equivalent of rose fondant icing.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wosl on November 30, 2018, 05:29:45 PM
Blods, I think it was, alerted me (via the bait word "shoegazey") a couple of years back to one instantly lovely track, the Art Angels title track.  Despite liking it a lot though, I didn't really go on to explore Grimes further; in this case one track went a long way.  The magic of said track has since worn off a bit - its neon-pink sweetness can make it feel at times as though you're subjecting your lugs and brain to an OD of the aural equivalent of rose fondant icing.

A wise man (Steeevio from Dead Flowers) once told me that when you hear something so good, don't oversaturate yourself. That was in response to my question why was he now making tribal house music instead of the brilliant grungey psychedelic stuff that I loved.

So, go listen to some death metal for a while...ooops...that aforementioned Poppy collaboration features some "death" metal on the track.

Sebastian Cobb

Visions is good. I've got the two albums before that, halfaxa and summit else, but don't rate them.

Z

Art angels is a mess but her best release, the new song is pretty bad and, more worryingly, like twice as long as it has any right to be.

Devon is her best song, from Halfaxa. Oblivion very good. Everything else pretty much shite and she comes across as a fuckin biff

Sebastian Cobb

She reminds me of them posh lasses at university who have no obvious source of income and take loads of drugs but are basically too posh to be called a junkie.

I don't know if she takes lots of drugs though.

Head Gardener

I wish you'd all stop being so beastly and stop picking on her, she's lovely, really lovely and you are all being horrid

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 01, 2018, 12:42:05 AM
I wish you'd all stop being so beastly and stop picking on her, she's lovely, really lovely and you are all being horrid

did you meet her? did she come to that place you did up as a studio?

BlodwynPig

It seems more like an album track than a single, but I enjoy the new song.

The Poppy collab thing was bad.

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 30, 2018, 04:58:48 PM
did I mention she did her first radio session for me?

https://www.mixcloud.com/Gardener/grimes-in-session-mix/

If posting on the same forum counts, this means I'm only four degrees from that British diver that Elon Musk called a paedophile

JesusAndYourBush

5 demos were posted a couple of days ago but I can't find them anywhere.  Since it wouldn't be good to post a link here, can anyone pm me a link?

Head Gardener

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 01, 2018, 12:46:52 AM
did you meet her? did she come to that place you did up as a studio?

nah, she did a pre-record in her studio in Canada, it was nice of her though.
I did manage to get Chan Marshall in for a session though, she was so gorgeous professional and made The Dirty Three wait in the corridor
whilst she recorded 5 songs sitting right in front of me - for an hour! God, that was amazing...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 03, 2018, 01:20:06 PM
nah, she did a pre-record in her studio in Canada, it was nice of her though.
I did manage to get Chan Marshall in for a session though, she was so gorgeous professional and made The Dirty Three wait in the corridor
whilst she recorded 5 songs sitting right in front of me - for an hour! God, that was amazing...

You're the modern Phil Spector or something.

alan nagsworth

Fucks sake that new song is utter bibble. Those lyrics, man. There's no amount of post-irony that can save that thing from being completely dreadful. It's even more shitty retro chic cyber pop than that Charli XCX "1999" song.

It'll be a shame really if she fucks this up, as I thought Art Angels was brilliant, the pop music she was meant to be making, and I hoped she'd found some proper focus on where she wanted her career to go. If this is it, she can stick it.