Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blimey, Grimes is pretty good in't she?

Started by Nowhere Man, February 22, 2016, 09:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 03, 2018, 01:59:19 PM
Fucks sake that new song is utter bibble. Those lyrics, man. There's no amount of post-irony that can save that thing from being completely dreadful. It's even more shitty retro chic cyber pop than that Charli XCX "1999" song.

It'll be a shame really if she fucks this up, as I thought Art Angels was brilliant, the pop music she was meant to be making, and I hoped she'd found some proper focus on where she wanted her career to go. If this is it, she can stick it.

Does sound likes she's been cowed by big money into diluting her more experimental tendencies. Shame. if. true.

Head Gardener

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 03, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
You're the modern Phil Spector or something.

cheers but I ain't shooting anyone until I get to my 70's

imitationleather

Loved her first two albums, but anyone who has been in a relationship with an actual real life super-villain is not to be trusted. I'm sorry, I'm a tolerant man, but getting with a super-villain is just a red line for me.

I would burn every copy of everything she's ever made in one of those mad bonfires they have in one of the Irelands (I forget which, it's probably both of them) and dance around it like the kids merrily skipping around the fire Dennie Nilsen had in his garden to get rid of the corpses of those lads he killed.

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

colacentral

She seems incredibly false to me, every action calculated to create a particular impression. She's always "on." There are videos of her performing where she surrounds herself in samplers and makes a meal of it, and it just seems to me that she does that not organically but because she wants to make sure she gives it the appearance of virtuosity. I've heard her talking about looking at charts in a studio where I feel the same thing - "what I do is very technical, even if I do say so myself."

Like the people on here who obsess over Ricky Gervais and Derek, I find myself unable to resist watching videos of her that I know will make me angry. This for instance - https://youtu.be/UJNOJZrwHMw - which contains some distasteful feigned interest in the Challenger explosion amongst other scenes that annoy me. The whole thing is a performance, and I find that falsity comes through in her music, particularly in her faux-J-pop baby vocals swamped in reverb.

Like I said, my Gervais. I have a female family member who is exactly that personality type and also happens to be a sociopathic bully, so it probably irritates me on a really deep level for that reason.

You perhaps shouldn't judge a person on their taste in art but I've also seen her Nardwuar and What's in My Bag? videos on youtube and her taste in music is dreadful too.

chveik

Quote from: colacentral on December 12, 2018, 12:54:48 AM
You perhaps shouldn't judge a person on their taste in art but I've also seen her Nardwuar and What's in My Bag? videos on youtube and her taste in music is dreadful too.

oh yes. check out this ridiculous list:
https://prettymuchamazing.com/news/grimes-best-songs-of-all-time

kittens

used to follow her on instagram but i truly couldn't stand her as a person. liked her last album a lot, this new song is not very good.

Sebastian Cobb

Z

Quote from: colacentral on December 12, 2018, 12:54:48 AM
She seems incredibly false to me, every action calculated to create a particular impression. She's always "on." There are videos of her performing where she surrounds herself in samplers and makes a meal of it, and it just seems to me that she does that not organically but because she wants to make sure she gives it the appearance of virtuosity. I've heard her talking about looking at charts in a studio where I feel the same thing - "what I do is very technical, even if I do say so myself."
I dunno, I totally agree she's always on but she strikes me as someone who is either going through or on their way towards a huge breakdown. If I were to take a wild guess I'd say she's a far enough on the spectrum but is a combination of sufficiently talented and attractive that there's always been enough people willing to look past it and it's kind of left her in a position where she hasn't grown up at all.

Quote from: chveik on December 12, 2018, 01:37:59 AM
oh yes. check out this ridiculous list:
https://prettymuchamazing.com/news/grimes-best-songs-of-all-time
Pretty good list!

Her music videos though, the ones she's directed herself... I struggle to think of someone who has (up until now) made music I liked as much but has had such utterly horrible aesthetics elsewhere. Part of me perversely REALLY hopes she makes a film some time.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Captain Z on December 13, 2018, 07:01:26 PM
Grimey, as she likes to be called.

c

That's what she likes to be called these days. Apparently.

Cuellar

I think she's good. Not sure about her new song, I don't hate it. Is the message ironic, satirical? I would think it has to be - who would unironically espouse that sort of fascistic idea? Maybe that's my own bias, but I think you'd have to be pretty fuckheaded to actually endorse that sort of thing. And 'we' do appreciate power - that's why Trump got elected, he was seen as a big tough guy, getting his supporters to beat people up, saying he'd hit people. 'We' love that shit, virility, strength, winning, beating people.

Something like that anyway.

sevendaughters

I can't think of any satirical content to her music previously. She's a sincerist, and given that the song is "about" Roko's Basilisk and that a shared appreciation of that AI-related though experiment is how she and powerful multi-billionaire Elon Musk came together, I think it is at best a very strange love song and at worst a very dangerous path. As this (admittedly old) article discovers, she is not noted for being very intelligent.

Cuellar

I've always thought her music was playful and self-aware at least, if not outright satirical. It could just be an idea she likes playing with. I think it's risky taking artists' words at face value.

What was it in that article that made you think she wasn't very intelligent?

BlodwynPig

Check out Nite Jewel and Maria Minerva instead

sevendaughters

Quote from: Cuellar on December 14, 2018, 02:52:52 PM

Hmm I would say that floating an motorless boat (or even carrying paddles, or a lifejacket, but yet remember to carry a brood of chickens) down a shipping lane based on the romantic notion of a book you haven't actually read marks you out as a fairly superficially-thinking person but I could be wrong here.

earl_sleek

Unworldly isn't the same thing as unintelligent.

Cuellar

Quote from: Cuellar on December 14, 2018, 02:52:52 PM
I've always thought her music was playful and self-aware at least, if not outright satirical. It could just be an idea she likes playing with. I think it's risky taking artists' words at face value.

That should be lyrics really, texts. Creative works.

Head Gardener

colacentral

BlodwynPig

This thread and that boat story has turned me against her.

peanutbutter

New single out now, it's nowhere near as bad as We Appreciate Power but it's still quite lacking compared to her best songs.

Head Gardener

no, wait come back! play it 5 times in a row it'll stick!

sevendaughters

I quite like the new one. It sounds like Erasure though c is no Andy Bell. Visuals are the same self-important toss I get from every big star these days.

H-O-W-L

It sounds like one of the off-cuts off the tail end of the bonus version of Visions.

We Appreciate Power is shit. The lyrics are borderline insulting, like a thirteen year old first heard of Ghost in the Shell without watching it and decided to start babbling basic concepts into a microphone. The musical composition of it is also horseshite. Bad quality KMFDM ripoff.

Norton Canes

We Appreciate Power is sex dungeon music par excellence.