Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:46:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Da Funk

Started by DerryPortice, October 22, 2004, 09:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerryPortice

Now I'm a big fan of Earth Wind and Fire, I just wondered if anyone had any 'fun-kay' recooomendationsn?

Espeeically any New JACK Swing?

non capisco

Check out a track by Eddie Bo called 'The Thang'.

Hornet

If you want the funk, the pure funk, uncut funk, the bomb, then look no further than Parliament and Bootsy's Rubber Band

Ciarán2

"There's A Roit Goin' On" by Sly and the Family Stone. Sly's breakdown album, no less.

non capisco

If you want some dynamite funk music, check out a compilation series on Harmless Records called 'I'm A Good Woman'. I think there's 3 of them to date. Collections of mostly obscure 70s female soul singers. There's a track on one by Denise Keeble called 'Chain On My Thing' which is one of the most sonically perfect records I've ever heard.

Fuckwittio

You gotta get 'A Funky Space Reincarnation' off Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear just because it's one of the best song titles of all time.

An advanced course in Clintonomics will serve you well, of course.

non capisco

Soul Jazz records' 'Saturday Night Fish Fry' and 'New Orleans Funk' compilations are ridiculously good too. Go to 'Sounds Of The Universe' on Berwick St W1 if you're in the area and pick em up for dirt cheap. Check out 'Break In The Road' by Betty Harris on the former.

Soul Jazz used to do a club night of this sort of music in South London called 'Saturday Night Fish Fry' every other month in what was normally a fetish bar, but sadly stopped a couple of years ago. They still do the odd funk night at Revolver @ the 333 on Old Street though, normally worth a visit if you're in the area and dig the funk.

EDIT: Oh, and there's also Keb Darge's funk night every Friday at Madame Jo Jo's in Soho. Haven't been for a while but the music's usually mint.