Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:35:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"How we made Angry Birds..."

Started by Entropy Balsmalch, February 23, 2016, 07:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entropy Balsmalch

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/feb/23/how-we-made-angry-birds

Weirdly, at no point does it say "First we opened our notebooks and then we opened Crush The Castle."

Famous Mortimer

Or "and then made it moderately bearable to play, cos Crush The Castle was terrible".

Steven

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on February 23, 2016, 07:50:42 AM
Weirdly, at no point does it say "First we opened our notebooks and then we opened Crush The Castle."

Itself based on Castle Clout, which has other physics-based antecedents.

biggytitbo

There was toss the penguin years ago aswell.

Steven

Quote from: biggytitbo on February 23, 2016, 07:58:22 AM
There was toss the penguin years ago aswell.

No wonder he looks so happy.

olliebean

QuotePeter Vesterbacka, brought into Rovio as business development director, said his goal was to reach 100m sales. We shook our heads and thought: "This guy's crazy." Then we hit two billion.

Two billion? What, so they're claiming over a quarter of the entire population of the world has bought their poxy game? Fuck off.

BlodwynPig

When't the big Hollywood film coming out?

Entropy Balsmalch

After Ridley Scott releases Monopoly.

phantom_power

Quote from: olliebean on February 23, 2016, 08:20:17 AM
Two billion? What, so they're claiming over a quarter of the entire population of the world has bought their poxy game? Fuck off.

There is more than one Angry Birds game

brat-sampson

Multiple games, multiple devices etc. Plus it might be including free downloads.

Hollow

Very much of the 'Popcap' school of game design Rovio are.

ie plagiaristic scum.

lazarou

Nah. Popcap at least have a great eye for design and polish and have created several fantastic casual games (before they got swallowed up and gutted by EA at least). At their height, they did what they did better than anyone, or at least up there with the very best. If we're going to start ragging on people for cloning basic designs we'd be here all day. Rovio going into all that detail in that article without mentioning their obvious direct influences is a cunt's trick, though, if not a surprising one.

With Rovio I always get the feeling they struck it very lucky with the Angry Birds games, getting in the phone market with a well-polished clone that fit the format at a time where there wasn't a lot of quality competition, along with those grotesque character designs that really resonated with people for whatever reason. They've never really come close to recapturing that lightning in a bottle since, as anything that's veered to far from the 'Birds' formula has been a total flop (remember Amazing Alex?).

MojoJojo

I'm still a bit baffled by how successful Angry Birds was. Even at the time there was a better stuff out there.

Amazing Alex was of course just a rebrand of Casey's Contraptions, which Rovio bought the rights too. It was removed from app stores about a year ago - something that seems to have gone without comment.

Steven

The only flash games I got addicted a bit to were Sushi Go Round which is your typical management game and Theme Hotel which is another management one.

Replies From View

The working title for 'Angry Birds' was.... you guessed it!!  'Angry Cunts'!!