Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Are The Real Artists Of The 80S

Started by Pinckle Wicker, October 23, 2004, 01:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
right ok what the fuck is Guns n Roses doin there! surely timmy Mallet shouldve got a mention and also no mention of  Banarama!!

Serioulsly ther were some brilliant bands like Joy Division and The Smiths but c,mon REM ok they might have been PoPular but hmmm!!and dont even get me started about George Michael. It is kinda hard though to narrow it down .
Where are the Butthole Surfers! they didnae even get a look in! or Stock Aitken and Waterman!

anyway whats the boards top 10 ?

i hope this thread hasnt been done already..

pandadeath

Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, New Order, Joy Division, Prince, Pixies, Tom Tom Club, Gang Of Four, Kraftwerk and The Cure.

In no particular order, of course.

Quote from: "pandadeath"Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, New Order, Joy Division, Prince, Pixies, Tom Tom Club, Gang Of Four, Kraftwerk and The Cure.

Kraftwerk shouldve definetly had a mention!

Suttonpubcrawl

I've never understood how Joy Division can be considered an 80s band if Ian Curtis killed himself four months into the decade.

New Order released some of their best stuff in the 80s, Genesis (a guilty pleasure of mine) released some of their best and some of their worst stuff, some obscure greats such as Durutti Column were around. Mustn't forget the Pet Shop Boys. Depeche Mode did good things too. Kraftwerk, I don't know. Didn't they basically only release Computer World in the 80s? I know they created Electric Cafe (which I don't yet own) but didn't they only release that later on? Still, computer world was good and they probably re-released the model, which is a good enough song. I think their real classic is Trans-Europe Express though. The Police released some good stuff in the 80s. Oooh, I don't know if liking the Police is approved of here. I'm only just getting into the Cure so no comment on them.

Anyway, I'm coming at this as someone who didn't experience quite a bit of the 80s, what with not being born, so I'm probably all wrong.

VegaLA

Quote from: "pandadeath"Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, New Order, Joy Division, Prince, Pixies, Tom Tom Club, Gang Of Four, Kraftwerk and The Cure.

New Order...damn right !! Did anyone listen to their last album, GetReady ? A touch of pure Genius, just classic New Order every single track !!  
The best item in the world would be a Sony made XBox that broadcast holographic live New Order concerts whilst you're eating Galaxy chocolate in the company of Bipasha Basu !!

Cambrian Times

Ciarán2

Ooh yes, Cambrian Times (do miss our chats in the chatroom...sigh), I agree with yer there. But only if we're talking about their first two albums and from then on the occasional great single and silly video.

I think LOL NO people who made LOL NO most vital music of the 1980s were LOL NO Smiths, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Prince, Michael Jackson, Madonna, LOL NO Associates, Public Enemy, Dexys Midnight Runners and King.

Edit: Yes, I am currently enjoying the implications of "LOL NO".

Rats

I would definatly put guns n roses in there, they were a great fun band, appetite for destruction was a stormer.

The Fall, They Might Be Giants, Kate Bush, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Prefab Sprout, The Smiths

Hornet

PREFAB SPROUT, DEXY'S AND BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE

I think people have forgotten how good the latter were.  Okay the quality tailed off after the first two albums but they were classics.  Live too they were amazing.

chand

Hüsker Dü. They were certainly a very influential band, Frank Black was a big fan, so some people might have been known to say, no Hüskers = no Pixies = no Nirvana. Or at least, if Nirvana were trying to be the Pixies, Foo Fighters are trying to be Hüsker Dü. But I was really young in the 80s, I'm getting into this stuff retrospectively so I dunno who was important.

BetaKarraTene

I'd have said Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Talk Talk, Madness, XTC, Soft Cell and Talking Heads deserved at least a mention. Although I think the qualifier for the programme is the inclusion of the word 'Fame' in the title, so I doubt we'd see the likes of The Fall, Prefab Sprout etc being featured.

Here's the '90s nominees. No great surprises in all except for Missy Elliot (whose first hit was in 2001) ahead of The Chemical Brothers.

Fuckwittio

Guns N Roses' Appetite For Destruction was one of the best albums of the decade, so they should definitely be in there. Shame Waxl went up his own arse not long afterwards.

Icon of the decade is surely Prince. He didn't put a foot wrong in the 80s (save for the crappy film Under The Cherry Moon, which is partially redeemed by it's excellent soundtrack, released as Parade. Purple Rain ain't so hot either, but is again redeemed by it's soundtrack and Apollonia's nude scenes).

Has anyone mentioned Public Enemy, Eric B & Rakim or Run DMC yet? If not, I did, and I also added Beastie Boys (mainly for Paul's Boutique) & Soul II Soul.

Dead Kennedys were my favourite band of the decade, but honourable mentions must go to Black Flag, The Misfits, The Minutemen, Husker Du & Sonic Youth.

TraceyQ

fbb bastard

husker du
wham/george michael (he pretty much wrote the rule book for british teen pop etc for the next twenty years)
microdisney
XTC
Prince
fgth
the specials
adam and the ants

Fuckwittio

Quote from: "fbb bastard"
the specials

Shit, I knew I missed someone. Fantastic combo.

The Plaque Goblin

Happy Mondays?
Echo And The Bunnymen?
The Jesus And Mary Chain?
The Pogues?
The Wedding Present?
The Birthday Party?
Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds?
Einsturzende Neubauten?
The Cramps?
The Wipers?
Mission Of Burma?
Pussy Galore?
The Swans?
Replacements?
Psychedelic Furs?
Throwing Muses?
Bad Brains?
Alien Sex Fiend?
The The?
Slayer?

The Plaque Goblin

They're not from the 80s but The Eighties Matchbox B Line Disaster's new album 'Royal Society' is out on Monday.

Felt.

Why do we still have to explain that contrary to the I Love The... new romantic bad haircut view of the 80s, it was far better for interesting for british music than the 1990s?

danielreal2k

Yello, PSB, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, New Order