Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

As prompted, here is probably not the first thread where we talk of Norm and share YouTubes and that's probably the scope here.

The Best Disease Ever Joke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFGtDncxZU

Janice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBM8XGbVOFs&list=PL2jwwD2YDmtCDVye2bO1Eq39u47Qnv7pr

Half An Hour Of Golden Memories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxSYzgr_XYY

newbridge

up_the_hampipe

Norm on 9/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSMSbFV_q0

One of the most naturally funny people I've ever witnessed.

veletision

His autobiography is out in September.

Should be a good read.

Dr Rock

I saw him live in Montreal last year hosting the Just for Laughs Comedy gala.

After Sam Simmons performed, and people clapped, he said, "More proof that Canadians are far more polite than they should be." And Sam Simmons walked off and just never came back.

Norm's meandering delivery is great. Love it.

Norm Macdonald Weekend Updates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7pdBN1Bz8w&list=PLJX7rhYDK78zZMTTl_I2E22QbX3PeW5AT

They've put a filter over them to stop them being taken down but the sound is good. SNL seems the most litigious and dogged pursuers of any non official youTube content so even that might get squashed soon enough

up_the_hampipe

I'm not sure why they don't upload them to their own channel. They've been putting up old sketches on there anyway.

Norm was the best to ever grace that desk. He got lucky by having the OJ Simpson thing during his tenure though. There's no topical comedy goldmine bigger than that.

Blinder Data

I don't know much about Norm apart from that he's been funny in bits and bobs like Family Guy and chatshows and his podcast, but he really is an effortlessly funny human being, probably one of the most naturally funny people in the English-speaking world. Pretty much anything he says is funny in some way, e.g. when he's baiting that guy on his podcast about Albert Fish: "Most of his victims were African-American!" *huge pause*

He is really funny. Shame that there's occasionally a distinctively macho/misogynistic/backward thing going on with his humour. I'd like to think his infamous comments on SNL about the Laramie gay-bashing are deeply sarcastic, but from what he's said since I'm not sure that that's the case.

EDIT: I'm a bit drunk and I don't mean that Norm MacDonald is really happy that Matthew Shepard is dead. But his comments in his podcast and elsewhere suggests that his views on gays/transgender/"right-on issues" are pretty retrograde.

Rolf Lundgren

After trying to hunt down a DVD of it only a few months ago, Dirty Work has turned up on Netflix. Norm and Artie with added Rickles, what's not to love?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on February 29, 2016, 12:28:37 AM
After trying to hunt down a DVD of it only a few months ago, Dirty Work has turned up on Netflix. Norm and Artie with added Rickles, what's not to love?

That film literally changed my life. I can't say exactly how, but it relates to the line ''You didn't count on my loyal army of prostitutes, did you?''

up_the_hampipe

Going through that Weekend Update playlist (thanks BOC) and a highlight so far:

"OJ Simpson's lawyers say they don't want the families of Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman in the courtroom during the trial. They're afraid that the presence of the family members will just remind OJ of how much more killing he still has to do."

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bored of Canada on February 28, 2016, 11:25:00 PM
Norm Macdonald Weekend Updates
All you need with his stint on Update is to watch one episode, because every one was basically the same. OJ Simpson; Clinton (both sex and Whitewater); "Note to self"; Frank Stallone gags; and surprising levels of sexism and homophobia. I watched every Will Ferrell episode of "SNL" a year or so ago, and by the end of Norm's run I was pretty pleased he went (much as I loved him at the beginning, and in sketches).

Re: the whole "he was fired because of OJ" thing, I don't think it matches reality. They merrily carried on telling OJ jokes after Norm left, for one - if the NBC exec had just shown a compilation of Update jokes falling miserably flat (and there were a hell of a lot of them that did) then his official line that Update just wasn't funny enough would have carried a lot more weight.

Steven

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 29, 2016, 11:48:30 AM
Re: the whole "he was fired because of OJ" thing, I don't think it matches reality. They merrily carried on telling OJ jokes after Norm left, for one - if the NBC exec had just shown a compilation of Update jokes falling miserably flat (and there were a hell of a lot of them that did) then his official line that Update just wasn't funny enough would have carried a lot more weight.

Norm has pretty much admitted this to be the case, it was everyone else telling him it was over Don Ohlmeyer having a problem with the OJ stuff.

Norm's so deadpan half the time, sometimes it doesn't work, a lot of his Twitter stuff was just going too far for many to get, but then there's his Bob Saget roast sabotage.

BakedMints

Does anybody remember him talking about how many hours does he have of stand up material? I often think about this because I think he said he has about twenty five hours but I might be making that number up. But he might be one of the most prolific stand ups if that is the case, and we only get to hear about two hours.

Norm MacDonald's Hitler Jokes (Compilation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgxX8Dw5-nQ

Jobey

Quote from: Dr Rock on February 29, 2016, 12:32:17 AM
That film literally changed my life. I can't say exactly how, but it relates to the line ''You didn't count on my loyal army of prostitutes, did you?''

Are those prostitutes? I mean.. Who are those guys?

up_the_hampipe

QuoteTerrible week. Thieves broke into my house, stole my soap, my shower gel, my deodorant, my towels. THOSE DIRTY BSTRDS!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/704915541258014720

Oh Normie!

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 29, 2016, 11:48:30 AM

Norm confirmed as much, didn't he? The OJ stuff was probably started by the press and it was a fun story for those people who feel like there's a war against free speech maaaaan. Norm acknowledged that a lot of the jokes didn't get laughs and Ohlmeyer saw that as a big problem for a what should be a broad topical jokes segment.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 04, 2016, 01:39:04 AM
Norm confirmed as much, didn't he? The OJ stuff was probably started by the press and it was a fun story for those people who feel like there's a war against free speech maaaaan. Norm acknowledged that a lot of the jokes didn't get laughs and Ohlmeyer saw that as a big problem for a what should be a broad topical jokes segment.
If he did, it's relatively recently, as they were still pushing that narrative in the "SNL In The 90s" special from a few years back (although they did allow Ohlmeyer on to give his side).

I do think he can be brilliant, though. His Letterman sketches on SNL were fantastic, and I know it's been mentioned, but the Bob Saget roast appearance was perfect.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 04, 2016, 06:56:35 AM
If he did, it's relatively recently, as they were still pushing that narrative in the "SNL In The 90s" special from a few years back (although they did allow Ohlmeyer on to give his side).

Nah, never from Norm himself as I recall. He appeared on Letterman just a couple of weeks after he was fired from Update and told the story that he spoke to Ohlmeyer and he didn't think he was funny or getting many laughs. "If there's a guy who doesn't think you're funny and he runs the place, what can you do?" He's used a version of that line a few times over the years when talking about it.

It may have started with Stern. I might have to go back and watch, but I vaguely recall Norm bringing up Ohlmeyer's friendship with OJ on the show which made Stern and Robin push that it must have been the reason.

Steven

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 04, 2016, 11:15:39 AM
It may have started with Stern. I might have to go back and watch, but I vaguely recall Norm bringing up Ohlmeyer's friendship with OJ on the show which made Stern and Robin push that it must have been the reason.

Stern pushing an angle? Well now I've heard it all!

Also, pay no heed to my blatherings for fuck's sake:

Quote from: Steven on February 29, 2016, 12:51:07 PM
Norm has pretty much admitted this to be the case, it was everyone else telling him it was over Don Ohlmeyer having a problem with the OJ stuff.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Steven on March 04, 2016, 11:18:17 AM
Also, pay no heed to my blatherings for fuck's sake

I saw what you said I just wanted to push the point, Stern style!

Steven

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 04, 2016, 11:23:11 AM
I saw what you said I just wanted to push the point, Stern style!

How's your sex life? How much money do you make? Have you ever done anal?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 04, 2016, 11:15:39 AM
Nah, never from Norm himself as I recall.
I don't remember if he was interviewed for that bit, but I'm sure you're right - it was definitely mentioned by other people, though, and might have been in "Live From New York" (I'll have a shuftie when I get home).

up_the_hampipe

Okay, I got the Stern thing wrong. Howard and Robin believed Lorne wanted him fired and Ohlmeyer took the blame. Norm did mention his loyalty to OJ but they didn't seem to care about that. Never mind.

Steven

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 04, 2016, 11:53:11 AM
Okay, I got the Stern thing wrong. Howard and Robin believed Lorne wanted him fired and Ohlmeyer took the blame. Norm did mention his loyalty to OJ but they didn't seem to care about that. Never mind.

You mean Stern believed that, because of course Howard latches on to whoever he perceives as more famous/rich to attack because of his whole complex, and Robin just agrees with anything Howard says so..

Norm is a very intelligent bloke so probably has the right score, his faux-sloppiness and roundabout way of talking is a complete artifice and you can tell he's actually a very shy guy and his comedy persona is his buffer otherwise he'd prolly be a bag of nerves.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Steven on March 04, 2016, 12:01:33 PM
You mean Stern believed that, because of course Howard latches on to whoever he perceives as more famous/rich to attack because of his whole complex, and Robin just agrees with anything Howard says so..

Norm is a very intelligent bloke so probably has the right score, his faux-sloppiness and roundabout way of talking is a complete artifice and you can tell he's actually a very shy guy and his comedy persona is his buffer otherwise he'd prolly be a bag of nerves.

Yeah you're right on all of that. Robin was making some good points (she's smart too, despite being an incredible confirmed narcissist) but she thinks it's her job to agree with Howard. Sometimes she doesn't, but that's just for entertainment purposes.

Norm has got a lot less shy over time. His earlier appearances on Stern he seemed very timid and couldn't keep up, but eventually the dynamic shifted and he controlled the interviews.

up_the_hampipe

Norm hosted the Canadian Screen Awards last week and had some good jokes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xce_h58RHEo

Dr Rock

For fans of the Janice routine, I found this live version. Its somewhere in the middle of this, the quality of the recording is terrible so only click it if you don't mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwMNdxDa7u4

Steven

Norm being serious talking about his beliefs and politics and all of it is stuff I completely agree with, though he does fall into the classic Stephen Hawking(s) misnomer.

Sam

http://youtu.be/4HllYynybfhttp://youtu.be/4HllYynybfw

This made me crack up, especially his 'oh no' at 54 seconds.

It's very hard to say why he's so damn funny.