Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:31:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 26, 2020, 08:29:31 PM
The holocaust denier's on today's Joe Rogan podcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvHqvYesr9M

At two hours forty minutes that's the longest Adam Egret's ever gone without mentioning the smoke stacks at Auschwitz.

Cold Meat Platter

Egret says the podcast is going to be back in the fall (autumn).
Must say, he's looking rather spiteful.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 27, 2020, 01:50:30 PM
At two hours forty minutes that's the longest Adam Egret's ever gone without mentioning the smoke stacks at Auschwitz.
Although he snuck in a Schindler's List mention early on.

DiClassomo

'Colourised Schindler's List' went right over Joe Rogan's head, despite his extensive knowledge of just murdering

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 27, 2020, 02:28:29 PM
Although he snuck in a Schindler's List mention early on.

Fair point. These revisionists can't help themselves.

Very exciting news that NML is to return in one form or another. Joe Rogan enthusiastically agreed to be a guest.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 27, 2020, 02:14:09 PM
Egret says the podcast is going to be back in the fall (autumn).
Must say, he's looking rather spiteful.

More of a comment really

Dusty Substance

Actually, having actually now listened to the whole thing all the way through, Egret manages to squeeze a mention of the holocaust right at the very end. He just couldn't help himself.

Puce Moment

Thank you for taking a hit for the team guys. Great to hear that NML might be back!

Dusty Substance

This recent upload was in my YouTube recommendations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vjGxzUyjw

Norm on Tom Green's AXS Show (whatever that is) from 2014, in between seasons of NML. He doesn't say much that I've not heard him say elsewhere but an interview with Norm is never boring. At one point they cut to comedy guests including Harley Morenstein who seems a tad pissed off and mentions that he'd heard Norm say his name "on the computer" - Presumably a reference to that YouTube comedy event when Norm said "All the stars are here.... Harley Morenstein".

What does CAB make of Tom Green? My only exposure to him has been through this, his appearance on NML and a couple of older internet shows he did where his guests included Norm and Gregg Turkington. I remember Freddy Got Fingered being absolutely panned by everyone, but I've never seen it or any of his comedy. Anything good worth seeking out?

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 10, 2020, 02:50:34 PM
This recent upload was in my YouTube recommendations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vjGxzUyjw

What does CAB make of Tom Green? My only exposure to him has been through this, his appearance on NML and a couple of older internet shows he did where his guests included Norm and Gregg Turkington. I remember Freddy Got Fingered being absolutely panned by everyone, but I've never seen it or any of his comedy. Anything good worth seeking out?

I know next to nothing about Tom Green but for some reason I remember a sketch (maybe in the 90s?) where he painted his parents' car with a lesbian sex scene (because they like lesbians) and naming it The Slut Mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXgfzxXUVsc

Thanks for the link to the AXS show. I was going to recommend Live in Philadelphia as the best example of the stand-up he's been doing on a world tour for the last ten years. He put it on Youtube at the end of 2018 but it's been made private now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmhYGj1bA0

Maybe you can get access or find it somewhere else. There are shorter clips of some of the same bits on Youtube and some lower quality recordings of other full sets but try to find that one.

Here's a shorter set with some of the same material that he put up recently: TOM GREEN POP UP STAND UP SET AT HOLLYWOOD IMPROV

Freddy Got Fingered has a cult following and a few fans here.

QDRPHNC

Red Letter Media did a good review of Freddy Got Fingered, if you don't feel like diving into the whole thing.

Is the AXS show his old Canadian one? I remember he carried one of his own shits through the audience and an old man touched it.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on June 10, 2020, 04:01:41 PM
I know next to nothing about Tom Green but for some reason I remember a sketch (maybe in the 90s?) where he painted his parents' car with a lesbian sex scene (because they like lesbians) and naming it The Slut Mobile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXgfzxXUVsc

Ha! I quite liked that. Those kind of pranks can often backfire and just end up being cringey, but as it's his parents it's done with a degree of knowing love. Reminds me of one of the Jackass films where they put an alligator (I think) in the bedroom of one of their parents.

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on June 10, 2020, 04:15:37 PM
Thanks for the link to the AXS show. I was going to recommend Live in Philadelphia as the best example of the stand-up he's been doing on a world tour for the last ten years. He put it on Youtube at the end of 2018 but it's been made private now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmhYGj1bA0

Maybe you can get access or find it somewhere else. There are shorter clips of some of the same bits on Youtube and some lower quality recordings of other full sets but try to find that one.

Here's a shorter set with some of the same material that he put up recently: TOM GREEN POP UP STAND UP SET AT HOLLYWOOD IMPROV

Freddy Got Fingered has a cult following and a few fans here.

Cheers - I'll check it out and have a look around online for a full set.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 10, 2020, 05:02:56 PM
Red Letter Media did a good review of Freddy Got Fingered, if you don't feel like diving into the whole thing.

Is the AXS show his old Canadian one? I remember he carried one of his own shits through the audience and an old man touched it.

A great suggestion. Watching the FGF review on RLM right now. Mike loves it and I'm sold on it. It looks truly bizarre. I just read a two sentence review of it- One of those two sentences: "The Trout Mask Replica of cinema.".

I'm not sure what AXS is. Norm made a couple of references to it being owned by a sports celebrity of some kind.

Sin Agog

I know this is a big goose egg of a post not worth bumping the thread for, but it just occurred to me that when Norm does that face scrunching thing with the glasses to get his guests to laugh at something appalling, he's probably doing a bit of a Ronnie Corbett impression, isn't he?  I know for a fact he's a Ronnie Barker fan as he's mentioned him several times (https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1031233977980313601?lang=en), so I don't think I'm off on this one.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 20, 2020, 02:47:50 AM
when Norm does that face scrunching thing with the glasses to get his guests to laugh at something appalling,

My favourite example of that is when he tells Todd Glass the story of the Canadian jerk who killed his lover and finishes by saying "He made an error in judgement" while doing the face scrunching thing.

You may well be onto something with the Corbett thing. Norm's clearly a scholar of British comedy.

lankyguy95

Reminds me more of Eric Morecambe but you might be right.

shagatha crustie

Man, all I've been able to do with my spare time in the last few weeks is watch and listen to Norm on stuff. The Saget roast. The View appearance. The Courtney Thorne-Smith interview on Conan. Destroying everything around him at the YouTube Comedy Awards. Nearly winning the million on Millionaire. The fucking sheer balls of his ESPYs set. Dennis Miller's paroxysms of laughter at every single thing that comes out of his mouth. Even his more serious interviews, where he talks about his philosophy in life. Man is just on another level, a completely independent thinker, fascinating, fearless and so, so funny.

In one of his Larry King interviews King says to him, 'Louis CK once told me that he bombs on purpose sometimes, just to see if he can win the audience back. Do you ever do that?'

Norm: 'No. I bomb... but I don't try to win them back.'

The way he says it implies that he's going to make the obvious, self-deprecating joke 'I bomb... but not on purpose!!' But no - as always he's one or more comic steps ahead, having already gone the extra mile in his mind, through the joke, to the truth, which is also somehow funnier. Feels like it sums up whatever the hell he is and what he does, in some oblique way.

Got to say though it's such a shame most of his fanbase are as thick as mince. There's a real dearth of proper Norm discussion out there, just people veering between bemoaning political correctness, endlessly quoting their favourite bits at each other and calling people old chunks of coal.

lankyguy95

Quote from: shagatha crustie on August 09, 2020, 04:57:43 PM
Got to say though it's such a shame most of his fanbase are as thick as mince. There's a real dearth of proper Norm discussion out there, just people veering between bemoaning political correctness, endlessly quoting their favourite bits at each other and calling people old chunks of coal.
More of a comment really I completely agree.

mr. logic

Quote from: shagatha crustie on August 09, 2020, 04:57:43 PM
Man, all I've been able to do with my spare time in the last few weeks is watch and listen to Norm on stuff. The Saget roast. The View appearance. The Courtney Thorne-Smith interview on Conan. Destroying everything around him at the YouTube Comedy Awards. Nearly winning the million on Millionaire. The fucking sheer balls of his ESPYs set. Dennis Miller's paroxysms of laughter at every single thing that comes out of his mouth. Even his more serious interviews, where he talks about his philosophy in life. Man is just on another level, a completely independent thinker, fascinating, fearless and so, so funny.

In one of his Larry King interviews King says to him, 'Louis CK once told me that he bombs on purpose sometimes, just to see if he can win the audience back. Do you ever do that?'

Norm: 'No. I bomb... but I don't try to win them back.'

The way he says it implies that he's going to make the obvious, self-deprecating joke 'I bomb... but not on purpose!!' But no - as always he's one or more comic steps ahead, having already gone the extra mile in his mind, through the joke, to the truth, which is also somehow funnier. Feels like it sums up whatever the hell he is and what he does, in some oblique way.

Great post. Another thing about Norm is he's like an expert batsman letting balls go past him. He begins jokes then abandons him if he senses a shift. And his waiting to drop in 'I found your son' at the end of some boring Bob Saget story is just breathtaking in terms of not only its wit and its daring, but also in its sheer bloody placement. It's like he has the joke lined up and it just waiting. He's an absolute natural. I love him.

Sin Agog

I love him, and he's as slippery as mercury, but Norm is also a straight-up douchey twat sometimes.  I rewatched all the NML's a few weeks ago, and near the end he became increasingly prone to making complete and utter dickhead comments, like how he was excusing Tyson's rape troubles in their interview.  I suppose in the latter instance it may have been a tricksy way of bringing the issue up to begin with, but even Mike himself seemed to think he was giving him the soft serve.  I don't buy that nothing he says is ever to be taken on face value.  Watching so many episodes in such close vicinity kinda gave you a good idea what Norm believed and what he said just to be roguish.

shagatha crustie

I mean, you'd have to be a little bit of a douchey twat to hang everybody out to dry like he does sometimes, but my obsessive Norm viewing recently has made me think he's a nicer person than I previously thought. Plus not right-wing as many say - i think neutral, but sees politics as a symptom of the smallness and absurdity of human affairs, and is too in love with the joke to be cowed away from edgy material by political correctness.

Cold Meat Platter

I think you're spot on about him valuing the joke above all else. You can see the joy in his face at the reactions he gets. The little pause and the nod at the SNL audience, for example.

mr. logic

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wbDGCoM2Flw

He's enigmatic though, because how many comedians would be this happy to bomb horribly? Is it like therapy for him to be able to turn it back way after the fact in the form of a genuinely hiliarious retelling of the event?

This might be my favourite ever Norm bit. Howard has the good line about being opposed to pig fucking, which he just blows away with, 'I was kind of on the fence.'

Sin Agog

Is Sports Show any good?  It's a big juicy gaping hole in his career I've never watched before.

QDRPHNC

I only saw a couple of episodes of that way back when it first aired, but I've never forgotten one his lines while talking about Tiger Woods: "When a man has sex with a woman who's not his wife, we call it cheating - even though we all do it!"

veletision

Sports Show is good. He clearly enjoyed doing it.

The Reddit is a cesspool

cacciaguida

I think Sports Show is up there with the best of his work.

Crammed full of really great jokes, with remarkably few bits that fall flat which is somewhat surprising when you compare it to other "comedy sports shows"

Garbage time, what the H, commentary on sports clips etc all phenomenal

cacciaguida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByBcpZ9UZwU 

always somewhat edgy when the old chunk of coal tackles non PC subjects but this is fantastic.

Anyone know where to find full eps nowadays?

They used to all be on youtube but seemingly not anymore...

magval