Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Guess what, I found a copy and stole it! Bought a copy of the book itself to offset my guilt. (I do not feel guilty).

Chedney Honks

Wherever the FUCK is this audio book available for stealing?
Please

Sin Agog

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 28, 2020, 06:22:22 PM
Wherever the FUCK is this audio book available for stealing?
Please

Get on soulseek.  Surprisingly good platform for comics and audiobooks and shit, despite ostensibly being about downstealing music.  It's on there.

magval

mr. logic

I was playing pool in a Moscow bar last night, with some other English people and a Canadian.

At one point I started chatting to the Canadian about Alice Munro and Norm.

He had heard of the former but not the latter. To my delight, though, one of the other other English people had heard of Norm and the pair of us swapped jokes, bits etc. A nice moment...

...one that was complety ruined by this public school cunt 'assuring' the others that Norm is 'racist'. I don't think he is but it was so tiring that I just let the subject drop instead.

lankyguy95

As usual Norm Macdonald Live is getting me through life.

The opening segment on the Nick Swardson episode is just hysterically funny.

Twit 2

Dusty Substance

Norm MacDonald Zero Fucks Given - An exceptionally good edit from I'm Not Norm featuring some classic chat show appearances, radio bits, NML and other assorted bits and pieces. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiz3K-ALBZw

lankyguy95

Norm's answer here is incredible. The way he flips the shoddy premise so quickly and effortlessly is just magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnMsO0A-O38

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 28, 2021, 12:05:20 AM
Norm's answer here is incredible. The way he flips the shoddy premise so quickly and effortlessly is just magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnMsO0A-O38

Phenomenal. Magic is right. He's a fucking wizard.

mr. logic

Yeah, I've wondered about that clip before. Was he maybe given it beforehand and instructed to act otherwise? Because it's such an incredibly funny and clever response to such a bizarre question...it feels like something even he would need some time to come up with

Thosworth

I mean the entire premise is explained at 30s and he manages to spend another 30s being a little slow and asking for various clarifications explained to him. Seems to lean towards real - it's not like this isn't one of his frequent modus operandi.

mr. logic

Yeah, probably. It's just the way the premise- masks etc- fits the response so perfectly. But he's fucking brilliant isn't he, so I'm probably being an idiot.

Dusty Substance

He really is the best, ain't he?

The more I watch of Norm, going back over clips I've already seen dozens of times, the more fascinating he becomes.

On the surface, he's this salt of the Earth, quick witted, teller of shaggy dog stories. The kind of old chunk of coal you used to find propping up a bar in pubs (when pubs were still a thing). An SNL Bob Hope, if you will.

But there's something much weirder going on underneath. I love hearing other comics talking about Norm, as they all seem to respect him and have a story to tell but very few seem to actually know him.

millwall32

Check I'm Not Norm on YouTube for a ton of Norm stuff.

PeasOnSticks

Norm reminds me a bit of Peter Cook. Similar kind of can't-help-but-be-funny quality, that slight otherworldliness about him, the way he looks at people when he's being funny with a Cook-like gleam in his eye, and the talent he has for finding just the right comedic word at the right time. Also brilliantly suited to being a guest on talk shows.

lankyguy95

^
Cook's always the most natural comparison in my mind too. There's a magic to the both of them that seems so natural, so a part of them; it appears they don't have to work in order to conjure it. That thing John Cleese said about Peter Cook being able to write a three minute sketch in three minutes; I heard Dennis Miller a while ago reciting a wonderfully imaginative and funny email Norm had written him in response to a fairly standard message from Miller. Miller said he looked at the time that he received Norm's reply and realised it was just three minutes after he'd sent the original email. Not a word had been pored over - he'd just riffed the whole thing and pressed send.

Ornlu

^ Did it expand on the email's contents? That sounds interesting.

Blinder Data

also similar to Cook in that they were mega talented and yet didn't exactly go on to have mega successful careers but it didn't seem to bother them that much because - I think Stephen Fry said this about Cook - being screamingly funny in private with pals was just as important as being funny live, in a sitcom, whatever

Dusty Substance

Continuing the Peter Cook comparisons (which is something I've long thought and have recommended Norm to all my Cook-head friends), Norm MacDonald Live has replaced Derek & Clive as my go-to source for when I need cheering up. No matter how low I'm feeling, dipping into some NML clips (especially the Stephen Merchant and Todd Glass episodes) will guarantee making me howl with laughter.

Ornlu

lankyguy95

Norm congratulates Dan Levy on his hosting of SNL last night, using the wording the judge used to Ted Bundy in his trial.

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1358431538409426948?s=19

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lankyguy95 on February 07, 2021, 03:49:48 PM
Norm congratulates Dan Levy on his hosting of SNL last night, using the wording the judge used to Ted Bundy in his trial.

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1358431538409426948?s=19

Good Bundy knowledge there!

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: lankyguy95 on February 07, 2021, 03:49:48 PM

What a great sentence.

Dusty Substance

Rewatching a bunch of the I'm Not Norm compilations and came to the one titled Norm MacDonald Trolling Other Comedians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grXjFoE3WnA

The first clip is audio of a comedian telling a story of Norm headlining a corporate gig. Backstage, he tells the other few supporting comics that he'll go on first and warm up the crowd. He goes on stage, warms up the crowd and then does all the material and jokes of all the far less experienced supporting comics. The guy telling the story finds it funny, and it is funny in retrospect, but is Norm being a cunt there, or is he charming and brilliant enough to get away with it? If I heard that story but instead of Norm it was Gervais or Seinfeld, they probably wouldn't get a pass. 

I hope Norm isn't a cunt.