Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:36:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 10, 2021, 02:24:01 AM
If I heard that story but instead of Norm it was Gervais or Seinfeld, they probably wouldn't get a pass. 

Yeah but if I heard it was Patrice O'Neal, I'd find it funny. We're always biased to people we like.

Norm might be a cunt, but for political reasons more than anything.

veletision

Of course he's a cunt but he's not a malicious cunt.

cacciaguida

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 10, 2021, 02:24:01 AM
Rewatching a bunch of the I'm Not Norm compilations and came to the one titled Norm MacDonald Trolling Other Comedians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grXjFoE3WnA

The first clip is audio of a comedian telling a story of Norm headlining a corporate gig. Backstage, he tells the other few supporting comics that he'll go on first and warm up the crowd. He goes on stage, warms up the crowd and then does all the material and jokes of all the far less experienced supporting comics. The guy telling the story finds it funny, and it is funny in retrospect, but is Norm being a cunt there, or is he charming and brilliant enough to get away with it? If I heard that story but instead of Norm it was Gervais or Seinfeld, they probably wouldn't get a pass. 

I hope Norm isn't a cunt.

Realistically, this is clearly a made up or at least greatly embellished story so don't lose sleep over it tbh

Dusty Substance

Quote from: cacciaguida on March 10, 2021, 10:15:07 PM
Realistically, this is clearly a made up or at least greatly embellished story so don't lose sleep over it tbh

You're probably right. It did occur to me that it might have been an exaggeration. I'll sleep easy tonight.

Anyway, that same I'm Not Norm compilation shows the bit when he responds to Sarah Silverman's explanation of JASH with "No offense, but it sounds like some fucking commie gobbledygook", which is perhaps in the top ten funniest things Norm's ever uttered.

mr. logic

I think the word 'motiveless' in the guy's telling of the story is key. People like C.K. and Seinfeld are coldly cynical about their careers so it's easy to imagine their doing it as a shitty move to makes themselves look better or whatever. With him it just sounds like he thought it would be funny to destroy the gig, in the way he has self-sabotaged himself in the past.

Twit 2

Totally. Total commitment to the joke, the funny comes first.

The Ombudsman

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Great to know there are so many Norm fans here. I was tempted to post clips up too as most in the thread were removed.

Does anyone know where one can purchase his book as an audiobook? I can't find it on Apple Books.

Sorry for opening an old thread but didn't seem sensible to raise a new one.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: The Ombudsman on August 02, 2021, 11:37:27 PM
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Great to know there are so many Norm fans here. I was tempted to post clips up too as most in the thread were removed.

Does anyone know where one can purchase his book as an audiobook? I can't find it on Apple Books.

Sorry for opening an old thread but didn't seem sensible to raise a new one.

I'll PM you.

Just a wee reminder if anyone else wants the audiobook to let me know. Last time I checked it was impossible to buy in the UK. Not difficult: impossible.