Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,463
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:18:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BakedMints

Funny little sweet story about Norm that I never heard before:
https://youtu.be/5ynNF1HmgiA?t=2703

Great follow up by Carolla also.

up_the_hampipe

According to this article, Norm has a new Netflix special coming soon:

Me Doing Stand-up, was in 2011, and another is on the way with Netflix

momatt

The show with Stephen Merchant is sublime.
I found it difficult to tell if Stephen enjoyed or not, but Norm just starting off with all his jokes/stories about the holocaust, Jimmy Savile and child murderers did seem to surprise him a little.

Norm was particularly slurry in that show, hope this isn't some big problem for him.

Quote from: Cuellar on September 21, 2016, 01:39:50 PM
I'm SURE everyone's read this already, but it's very funny
This is bloody fantastic, thanks!

Sin Agog

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 24, 2016, 04:41:18 PM
Good episode. Hader was an engaging guest. Lots of great SNL stories, but plenty of record scratch awkwardness from Norm, especially when he criticised Andy Samberg's famous Lazy Sunday sketch. Disappointed they didn't do "Jokes".

Sometimes it doesn't completely pay off, but do you honestly not think those record scratches don't generally lead to NML's funniest moments?  Read Norm's body language and you can see he gets particularly tense when he senses everything's on the verge of getting flat, then he pumps it back up with a bit of unexpected electrodialysis.  I think that Samberg moment came after about twenty minutes of anodyne anecdotalism.

AllisonSays

Fuckin Bill Hader is a boring dude though, isn't he? I think the show works better with either someone who's willing to challenge Norm on his unusual to non-existent interviewing technique (Merchant) or someone with a bit of devilment in them themselves (Gottfried, say); Hader just kind of bumbled along telling SNL anecdotes

I should add that I've not knowingly seen a minute of SNL, and that my main exposure to it comes from listening to or watching Norm-related media, so this was always going to be a wee bit of a slog for me.

Has anyone read or listened to the book? Should I bother?

Jobey

That one wasn't great but I think it's normal to have a couple of duds.

Norm isn't ripping on Egret enough.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Jobey on September 27, 2016, 11:58:45 AM
Norm isn't ripping on Egret enough.
I did enjoy his "I forgot he was here" though.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 27, 2016, 06:44:17 AM
Sometimes it doesn't completely pay off, but do you honestly not think those record scratches don't generally lead to NML's funniest moments?  Read Norm's body language and you can see he gets particularly tense when he senses everything's on the verge of getting flat, then he pumps it back up with a bit of unexpected electrodialysis.  I think that Samberg moment came after about twenty minutes of anodyne anecdotalism.

I do think it can be hilarious, hence why I enjoy the show. But it hasn't really worked so far this season. Perhaps the guests are just bad at playing off Norm.

Dr Rock

I didn't like that one very much either, Norm was too happy going down SNL memory lane to be a proper predator.

Sin Agog

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 27, 2016, 02:26:11 PM
I do think it can be hilarious, hence why I enjoy the show. But it hasn't really worked so far this season. Perhaps the guests are just bad at playing off Norm.

That I agree with actually.  Like I said before, what Norm needs are total betas to just sit there and take it as Norm launches projectiles at them.  Fuck a biography.  "Right, you were born then you came here.  Now tell me why you think Auschwitz should be made one of the seven wonders of the world?" That's why I suspect Bobby Lee will be a good one.

Puce Moment

It was quite odd seeing Norm so earnest, and being so unmannered. I thought that episode was really sweet and interesting, but maybe not as hilarious as other interviews.

Puce Moment

Norm not being able to stop himself correcting Corden is one of my favourite moments of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHfCGD0p3A&feature=youtu.be

up_the_hampipe

QDRPHNC

Listening to his audiobook and trying not to piss myself at work.

Currently he's talking about his friendship with Rodney Dangerfield, and explaining (utterly deadpan and seriously) how tough Rodney's childhood was and how he was never able to get any respect.

"... Rodney finally grew up and become a man, but things didn't improve. One time, he recalled, a hooker informed him, 'not tonight, I have a headache.' Imagine hearing that... from a prostitute."

It's $18 from Downpour, and it's great.

lankyguy95

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 03, 2016, 07:18:54 PM
Listening to his audiobook and trying not to piss myself at work.

Currently he's talking about his friendship with Rodney Dangerfield, and explaining (utterly deadpan and seriously) how tough Rodney's childhood was and how he was never able to get any respect.

"... Rodney finally grew up and become a man, but things didn't improve. One time, he recalled, a hooker informed him, 'not tonight, I have a headache.' Imagine hearing that... from a prostitute."
I'm laughing just imagining his delivery of that last line.

QDRPHNC

Hit the part where he's talking about falling deeply in love with Sarah Silverman and asked her out:

"I decided to make my intentions known. 'You're dreadful pretty, Sarah,' I said, 'and I'd be honoured if you would lay down with me. And not in the restroom either. I will take you out to a restaurant and you can order beefsteak that I will pay for. We will coo and whisper and we will reduce the world and its people, to our small table and the two of us. And then, afterward, I will take you to my bed, and we will be like swine.' She ran away."

QDRPHNC

Now he's relating the saga of
Spoiler alert
going to prison for plotting to kill Dave Attell after Colin Quinn set him up with a cop posing as a hitman
[close]

"They walked me to my cell, past dangerous-looking convicts. 'Fresh meat! Fresh meat! Fresh meat!' You may as well stop with your chanting boys, I answered, I don't have a single Omaha steak on me - they all got took! The convicts continued their chant, but there was a puzzled tone to it."

Something about the emphasis on took hit me hard. Alright, last post on this I promise.

Puce Moment

In fairness, you have done a good job of promoting the audiobook. I'm off to buy it now.

QDRPHNC

Breaking my promise, to transcribe just a sliver of a fraction of the abuse Adam Eget takes throughout the book: 

"The fact is, that Adam Eget - the dolt's dolt - possesses a particular type of magic. Adam Eget knows nothing about sports, and will often say things like, 'Why do different baseball teams wear different uniforms? That doesn't seem fair.' or, 'Why do they call it a hockey stick anyways?' But Adam Eget can pick winners. Out of the blue, he'll go into sort of a trance, and then, the way a robot might, he'll suddenly pronounce, 'The New York Rangers will win their hockey match tonight,' or, 'The Indianapolis Colts will win their football match tonight,' and he'll have me scrambling to call my bookie. The thing is, he does this kind of thing very rarely and without warning, but when he does, he is always right. Always. He's like that squid that picks the winner of the World Cup once every four years. He's very good at exactly one thing. The rest of the time, Adam Eget is just a stupid squid."

"Look at the coffee table. Tell me what you see, Adam Eget. 'It's a wine glass full of nickels!' That's right! You will use those nickels to play your favourite game. Adam Eget's face lights up like a child's birthday cake. 'Video keno!' Yes, video keno. But first, you use a few of those nickels to buy the Las Vegas Review Journal and look at the sports lines, and if you find a winner you tell me, ok? 'Sure boss, sure! I'll start right now!' And so Adam Eget goes and returns with the newspaper and scans the next day's lines, but he falls into no trance and finally grows tired of it and turns to the funny pages to read Marmaduke. He laughs really hard."

Sin Agog

I feel like that could have been thee Norm Macdonald talk-show appearance had Conan played along a bit more instead of projecting himself in the mind of the millennials at home.  As a fellow late night host, he must have seen Carson before, right?.  As it was, that was like a bizarre sequel to the Saget roast.  Here are a couple of other clips not included there: http://theinterrobang.com/norm-macdonald-comes-conan-sort/  (love his weirdly earnest creeping over that Keke woman).

up_the_hampipe

He wasn't creeping, he was being sweet! He did go on a bit, but that's Norm's way.

Puce Moment

I thought Conan and Norm bounced off each other really nicely. Lots of mutual respect.

Dr Rock

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 06, 2016, 04:08:59 PM
Norm on Conan last night:

https://streamable.com/gxck

https://streamable.com/g22g

You dirty dog!

As soon as he was into the old fashioned 'my wife/Bob Saget Roast' style jokes I was laughing so hard I fell off the sofa.

up_the_hampipe

Louis Theroux shares some gossip about Norm Macdonald

I've always wondered about that Elle MacPherson rumour. He always denied it but many friends of his have claimed it was true.

Artie Lange tells a story on the 'Guys We Fucked' podcast about a close friend of his (clearly Norm) who went out with Elle McPherson and how Norm had to end it due to finding out that she had never bothered to disclose to him that she thought it was an open relationship throughout the six months they were going out, only discovering the truth when she suggested a threesome with another guy (he also mentions the 'don't go there' thing).

Found it, anecdote starts at 1:02:42: https://soundcloud.com/guyswefucked/artie-lange

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on October 07, 2016, 04:45:25 PM
Artie Lange tells a story on the 'Guys We Fucked' podcast about a close friend of his (clearly Norm) who went out with Elle McPherson and how Norm had to end it due to finding out that she had never bothered to disclose to him that she thought it was an open relationship throughout the six months they were going out, only discovering the truth when she suggested a threesome with another guy (he also mentions the 'don't go there' thing).

Found it, anecdote starts at 1:02:42: https://soundcloud.com/guyswefucked/artie-lange

Hah, that's interesting. She's a dirty dog!

kitsofan34

I fucking loved his Uncle Johnny story to close the Merchant episode. I really could listen to him tell stories all day. You can tell he's got a incredibly vivid imagination, along with an eye for just the right detail that really adds character to a story.

Sin Agog