Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:51:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I enjoyed them, but I agree Norm's earlier shows were much better. Not enough torturing of Eget.

Liked the David Spade, Letterman and Drew Barrymore ones best. Was glad Drew was interrupted twice before she could say anything positive about Ayn Rand. 

up_the_hampipe

Loved the Chevy episode, especially the behind the scenes footage from Dirty Work.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 15, 2018, 10:09:11 PM
Was glad Drew was interrupted twice before she could say anything positive about Ayn Rand.

I actually wanted to hear where she was going with that because I had no idea if she was going to say something positive or just that Rand is an example of how she likes to read stuff that's out of her comfort zone. She really didn't seem like the pro-Rand type.

magval

So what's up with the breaks? Seems in the first episode that he did it to fuck with Spade, but in the later episodes it seems to be genuine. What are they breaking for? Are these being sold to TV networks later on?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: magval on September 16, 2018, 11:06:53 PM
So what's up with the breaks? Seems in the first episode that he did it to fuck with Spade, but in the later episodes it seems to be genuine. What are they breaking for? Are these being sold to TV networks later on?

Probably just for editing purposes. These interviews are only half an hour, but it seems very condensed.

Petey Pate

This has to be one of the most unintentionally funny and terrible reviews of anything I've read. The Guardian should consider calling this guy to replace Sam Wollaston.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/norm-macdonald-has-a-terrible-show-michelle-wolf-had-a-great-one-why-are-we-settling

momatt

What a rubbish 'review'.
Talking loud, but saying' nothing.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on September 16, 2018, 08:51:43 PM
I actually wanted to hear where she was going with that because I had no idea if she was going to say something positive or just that Rand is an example of how she likes to read stuff that's out of her comfort zone. She really didn't seem like the pro-Rand type.

I really can't imagine the hippie-ish Drew Barrymore being a Rand fan, that wouldn't make a lick of sense. Before Norm cut her off, it sounded like she was trying to say that she read Rand in an attempt to understand a philosophy different from her own.

Anyway, I just watched her Norm episode. They have such lovely chemistry, that chat put a smile on my face. As Norm said at one point, without a hint of condescension, that's what Barrymore does - she's a genuinely nice, smart, funny person.

Putting her together with Norm - a man who makes me smile with his mere presence alone - was probably Letterman's idea. Barrymore and Letterman were always great together on the Late Show; he must've known that she and Norm would get on too.

Also, someone in this thread a few pages back said: "What the fuck has happened to Drew Barrymore?!" That was presumably a reference to the fact that she's gained a bit of weight. Christ.

colacentral

I didn't enjoy Drew Barrymore at all. She came across as insecure and self-absorbed to me.

The series was okay - I particularly liked the Michael Keaton episode - but it definitely needs to be at least 10 minutes longer. There were several times where it felt like the guest was just getting warmed up and it was already time for jokes.

My great frustration with the series as a whole, including on Youtube, is never finding out the punchlines to aborted jokes. It seems like there were so many this time too.

Enrico Palazzo

I enjoyed watching Jane Fonda slowly warm to him. Seemed proper charmed by the end. Didn't like the country singer and Shaymalan was predictably dull. Found the rest pretty enjoyable, just not as good as the YouTube stuff.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 19, 2018, 02:48:44 AM
Anyway, I just watched her Norm episode. They have such lovely chemistry, that chat put a smile on my face. As Norm said at one point, without a hint of condescension, that's what Barrymore does - she's a genuinely nice, smart, funny person.

I wasn't expecting to like her much due to having my view of her coloured by Tom Green's autobiography, but she seemed nice enough and brought some good energy to the show.

magval

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on September 19, 2018, 11:36:43 AM
I wasn't expecting to like her much due to having my view of her coloured by Tom Green's autobiography, but she seemed nice enough and brought some good energy to the show.

Why, what does he say about her?

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: magval on September 19, 2018, 01:08:49 PM
Why, what does he say about her?

It's been years since I read the book, but the main thing I remember was that at their wedding she apparently spent all of her time with people from her Hollywood clique (e.g. Courtney Love) and paid little attention to Tom's non-rich, non-famous family & friends who had all come over from Canada for the ceremony & were left feeling alienated and inferior.

EOLAN

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on September 19, 2018, 02:18:47 PM
It's been years since I read the book, but the main thing I remember was that at their wedding she apparently spent all of her time with people from her Hollywood clique (e.g. Courtney Love) and paid little attention to Tom's non-rich, non-famous family & friends who had all come over from Canada for the ceremony & were left feeling alienated and inferior.

This sounds like how I would imagine many a wedding. Where a bride or groom may just be more focused on their own friends and family rather than the in-laws and partner's friends. 

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: EOLAN on September 19, 2018, 02:53:54 PM
This sounds like how I would imagine many a wedding. Where a bride or groom may just be more focused on their own friends and family rather than the in-laws and partner's friends.

That's true, though I recall Green said Courtney Love was also making catty remarks about the status divide in the room at the time, even right in front of his parents, and Barrymore didn't have a problem with that.  Still, it's only one person's side of the story and it doesn't make her sound like a monster or anything.  I thought she came across pretty well on Norm's show.

momatt

That makes Courtney Love look like a twat more than Drew.
Which isn't a huge shock.

c

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on September 19, 2018, 03:31:50 PM
Barrymore didn't have a problem with that.

What is she, the manners police?

'Actress fails to fully mingle at her own wedding' is the crappest piece of celeb gossip I've ever heard.

I thought Barrymore was a great guest - good energy, didn't take herself too seriously. And I appreciated her name dropping of Fante.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: c on September 19, 2018, 04:29:04 PM
'Actress fails to fully mingle at her own wedding' is the crappest piece of celeb gossip I've ever heard.

That's why I'm posting here and not writing for Heat magazine.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: c on September 19, 2018, 04:29:04 PM
What is she, the manners police?

I thought Barrymore was a great guest - good energy, didn't take herself too seriously. And I appreciated her name dropping of Fante.

I thought she was decent enough but I was surprised by the amount of times she said "I don't get that" when Norm made a pretty uncomplicated joke.

I liked the Fonda one a lot, and the Chevy episode was strong as well but I was a bit bored during the Letterman interview, not sure why but I just didn't find it that funny at all.

c

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on September 19, 2018, 05:05:32 PM
That's why I'm posting here and not writing for Heat magazine.

Oh come on Avril, you must have met so many other celebrities. Why are you holding back?

hedgehog90

Fonda makes the same face my nan makes in response to any joke.
Pause for 5 seconds, mouth slightly ajar, wide eyed as if experiencing an epiphany, then politely laugh.

colacentral

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 19, 2018, 07:41:54 PM
I thought she was decent enough but I was surprised by the amount of times she said "I don't get that" when Norm made a pretty uncomplicated joke.

From a person claiming to be really into poetry too. I found her incredibly annoying; really not getting the praise.

lankyguy95

What was everyone's favourite joke from the jokes section?

I think mine was the car wash/sex joke from the Chevy Chase episode.

McChesney Duntz

Speaking of Chevy, he's another one who, like Norm, should probably just stop giving print interviews altogether:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/lifestyle/chevy-chase-cant-change/?utm_term=.b668c52843ea

Mr Faineant

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 19, 2018, 09:21:39 PM
What was everyone's favourite joke from the jokes section?

I think mine was the car wash/sex joke from the Chevy Chase episode.

The pigs blood one and the gold digger one.

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on September 19, 2018, 08:52:59 AM
I enjoyed watching Jane Fonda slowly warm to him. Seemed proper charmed by the end. Didn't like the country singer and Shaymalan was predictably dull. Found the rest pretty enjoyable, just not as good as the YouTube stuff.

Yeah, it's always fun watching guests gradually warming to Norm after not knowing what to make of him at first. I thought Fonda came across well.

The Letterman episode was weirdly flat. I almost get the impression that Dave is tired of comedy and tired of being funny. It's almost as if, unlike Norm, he's grown bored of the mechanics of jokes - the science of comedy - after being immersed in that world for so long. He knows he's funny, we know he's funny, so why even try to prove it anymore?

That's pure speculation on my part, of course, but he came across as rather weary during that interview.

Twit 2

David Spade is always really funny on shows like this - is his stand-up any good?

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 20, 2018, 01:40:49 AM
David Spade is always really funny on shows like this - is his stand-up any good?

I enjoyed the audiobook of his autobiography Almost Interesting, which he reads himself. He released another one a few weeks ago - A Polaroid Guy in a Snapchat World - that I'm going to catch up with soon.

I trust my reply has been invaluable to you in establishing whether his stand-up is any good.

You replied, and for that I am truly grateful.