Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:27:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amoral

veletision

Yeah looks like they're all being recorded at the moment.

Sin Agog

I think the first season was the only one recorded live.

Another pic from this season with Bobby Lee:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ1I69cj4RH/?hl=en

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 02, 2016, 11:25:11 PM
I think the first season was the only one recorded live.

Yeah, seems like the Video Podcast Network gave up on the live stream thing quite quickly.

Like everyone says he's one of a kind, naturally the funniest person ever

Is it just me or is he homophobic though? I dont think its part of the jokes just his genuine opinion leaking in

Sin Agog

I doubt it.  Norm is always extolling the virtues of a big, juicy cock.

Sin Agog

I got the impression from the way Norm reacted when Russell Brand tried to hug him after their episode that Norm is more one of those weird Howard Stern-esque peoplephobic types who shies away from any physical contact than anything.  Then again, that was Russell Brand.

He's a Christian, but I vaguely recall him quoting something in the Bible about wearing two different types of wool being more frowned upon than homosexuality.  There is a fair bit of conservatism in his make-up, but it seems to be coming from a really, really different place than, say, Jeremy Clarkson.  I half-suspect one of the reasons he hates talking about politics is because he doesn't want to let on how conservative he really is.  But fuck it, like you said he's one of a kind and in this case it all seems weirdly irrelevant to how funny or likeable he is.

up_the_hampipe

He's claimed he's "the least homophobic person ever" on Stern (which is obviously not true) and said he never understood why gay people weren't allowed to be married. That said, he has been known to enjoy jokes that lean towards homophobia, as do many people. I don't think anyone truly homophobic would describe cocks, balls, assholes and gay sex in such a detailed, eroticised  manner.

Rolf Lundgren

There's a good interview with Norm and Super Dave when they introduce Norm's brother to it. Sheds some light on Norm and Neil seems like a decent guy, putting up with Super Dave taking the piss out of him with good humour https://youtu.be/5Eheuo8Pg74?t=7m4s

Norm doesn't seem particularly homophobic to me, as with a lot of things he says you have to take a large pinch of salt with them but if anything I've heard him make more arguments about why homosexuality makes sense rather than think it's perverse.

AllisonSays

I've seen him say a few things in apparent earnest which made me feel pretty uncomfortable (because I though they were homophobic or sexist or racist) but in one of the YouTube show interviews with some terrible unfunny yank, the unfunny yank described how Norm would wind him up by presenting both sides of an argument with real sincerity, so, um, I guess I just hope he's not being sincere when he says shitty things. Even if he is nothing outweighs yon moth joke on Conan O'Brian.

Jobey

He's currently saying he's in London on uk.
Probably full of shit.
Where's the new pods at?

veletision

So the podcast is back..........

ONLY ON AMAZON FUCKING PRIME

Sin Agog

Norm's being a real jerk... Though I have faith in someone vodlockering them eventually, I just want to watch the Smerch one now. Internet entitlement.  All we have is this clip for the time being: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO8pEHyFVpQ

up_the_hampipe

That was a mostly uncomfortable opener. Norm is a terrible interviewer really and he was all over the place. That said, there was some gold in there, especially whispering the meaning of Brexit to Eget.

veletision

It was really rocky for 20 minutes but I think they settled into it then.

Episodes are going to go up on Youtube in Mondays. They just recorded with Bill Hader

AllisonSays

Holy god he sounds like shit in that clip, I've never known a man with such unusual fluctuations in manner and energy and apparent healthiness. Still I'm very excited for these, will they be going up on YouTube as a job lot?

Sin Agog

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 14, 2016, 09:52:00 PM
That was a mostly uncomfortable opener. Norm is a terrible interviewer really and he was all over the place. That said, there was some gold in there, especially whispering the meaning of Brexit to Eget.

I'm guessing you're mostly referring to the constant interruptions, but in retrospect they all turned out to have a bit of impish devilry behind them.  Norm's constantly sending out feelers to find out how much this guy can be teased or offended.  I suspect from some of his comments on the old podcasts Norm secretly hates/dislikes/is nonplussed by the WTF "What did your folks do?" biography style of interviewing, and wants to use literally everything as an excuse to be an unruly child.  He really ratcheted up that side of his personality with this episode.  Definitely playing to what the fans loved about the other series.  He's a shit interviewer but a great entertainer.  It all bodes really well for the rest, at least for me!

As to Smerch, I think he got what was happening.  Maybe the Victorian chimney-sweep look made him seem more dour than he really was.

Now let's hope I can work out how to successfully cancel this Amazon Prime shit in four weeks time.

Mr Faineant

I know it's annoying that it is on Amazon, but for once it is nice for something to come out on something I already have. It seems there a new platform every other week. Stanhope just released a special "exclusively on Seeso." What's the fuck's Seeso? Another thing whose trial period I shall have to exploit that will ultimately end up in the graveyard of Tidal, Audible, Howl, etc.

hedgehog90

I'm confused. If it's available on Amazon why is it now on youtube for free?

https://www.youtube.com/user/NormMacdonaldLive/videos

Oh btw, YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sin Agog

Note: they took away the opening sketch about Norm's book being turned to mulch and his publisher recommending Fred Stoller's one instead.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 15, 2016, 03:17:09 PM
Note: they took away the opening sketch about Norm's book being turned to mulch and his publisher recommending Fred Stoller's one instead.

Presumably because that was just an advert for the Amazon pre-order of his book. Still pretty amusing though.

Dr Rock

Tears at the queen bit the way Norm said ''money'' then starting signing it

Puce Moment

It does amaze me how so many celebrities that work in comedy never listen to these things. I always think that one of Rich's interviewees is going to be prepared for the emergency questions, and how does Smerch not know that the Fish joke is coming?

Anyway, this was wonderful.

hedgehog90

Fuck.
Sit down for dinner, open the bookmark of the new episode on youtube and they've taken the video down. Must have been a mistake.
I had keepvid.com open just in case but I forgot to download the sodding thing.

hedgehog90

Loved that. From his William F Buckley impression to Dirty Johnny at the end there, it was just sublime... I feel a little light headed now.
Is it known how many they're planning to do?