Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Norm Macdonald Thread Over Here

Started by Dr Rock, February 28, 2016, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Yeatman

Hooray! I genuinely haven't seen any of his stand-up yet, but you've led me to bookmark the bits that are on youtube.

McChesney Duntz

This is probably the best job yet grappling with the new show (and Norm in general) - don't let the tone of the headline dissuade you:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/9/19/17878812/norm-macdonald-netflix-show

Z

anyone care to give a curated guide to Norm?

Like, what extended things (as in not just some interview he done one time on Conan or w/e, something I can binge a bit) to check out first and which ones to avoid?

Mr Faineant

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on September 21, 2018, 12:20:38 AM
This is probably the best job yet grappling with the new show (and Norm in general) - don't let the tone of the headline dissuade you:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/9/19/17878812/norm-macdonald-netflix-show

It says the shyamalan episode is the best, because it's more of discussion and he interrupts less. To me, that makes it the worst episode. I'm not watching this to hear about fucking Michael Keaton, I'm watching to see what norm comes up with. Am i wrong, or has he missed the point here?

Twit 2

Yes the analysis of which guests are best is all over the place. Plus, he seems to have missed the point of the Down's joke, or at least not bothered to analyse it much.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Z on September 22, 2018, 01:26:36 AM

Like, what extended things (as in not just some interview he done one time on Conan or w/e, something I can binge a bit) to check out first and which ones to avoid?
If you can find it, the first season of his Youtube podcast, Norm Macdonald Live, might be the funniest he's ever been. He's loose, with an extra spark of energy, and just hilarious on a frequent basis. I think that's really where his natural funniness is probably best showcased.

Me Doing Standup (again you'd have to find the video, although the audio's freely available) is great. His recent Netflix stand-up show is good too. I've only seen bits of his sitcom and it was a bit naff, although like with everything Norm does, it has it's own fun charm.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Mr Faineant on September 22, 2018, 02:40:06 PM
It says the shyamalan episode is the best, because it's more of discussion and he interrupts less. To me, that makes it the worst episode. I'm not watching this to hear about fucking Michael Keaton, I'm watching to see what norm comes up with. Am i wrong, or has he missed the point here?

Thought the same, the reviewer just doesn't get it. How he can rank the David Spade episode as the worst too shows his sense of humour is inverted.

As above, I'd recommend the first series of Norm MacDonald Live. To be honest, you're onto a winner with most of his interviews and the I'm Not Norm channel is a good place to delve into. For specifics, I recommend the radio interview compilation with Dennis Miller when he talks about his ventriloquist act and recites a poem.

veletision

He's on Conan again tomorrow night i think

Cold Meat Platter

Pseudopath

YouTube has some good themed collections of his Weekend Updates on SNL. For example, Norm on Michael Jackson

Dionne Warlock

Quote from: veletision on September 24, 2018, 11:06:44 PM
He's on Conan again tomorrow night i think

Well, Norm was definitely on the schedule two days ago. Looks like he's been taken off it since then.

Hank Venture

Am I the only one who can't stand Conan O'Brien? He's just insufferable.

Hank Venture

Shite quiff, over-excitedly slapping his desk, fakely holding back laughter like he's a 1st year actor who hasn't heard of overacting. The fake reactions, "NORM WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!?!?!?" Just calm down, you animated ADD child.

up_the_hampipe

Certainly can be very awkward behind the desk, but he's generally really funny. Check out his Clueless Gamer videos.

lankyguy95

Conan's funny and likeable, which is more than can be said about the other major chat show hosts.

colacentral

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 25, 2018, 03:03:22 PM
Shite quiff, over-excitedly slapping his desk, fakely holding back laughter like he's a 1st year actor who hasn't heard of overacting. The fake reactions, "NORM WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!!?!?!?" Just calm down, you animated ADD child.

He's setting up the stand-ups to use their material. He knows what they're about and probably exactly what they're going to say, but he's performing. If he was flat, he'd get less out of the comedian and less out of the audience. He's a master at it. He has great timing and knows exactly when to add to a joke and when not to. He's by far the best out of all the late night talk show hosts going right now.

thraxx

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 25, 2018, 09:56:08 AM
YouTube has some good themed collections of his Weekend Updates on SNL. For example, Norm on Michael Jackson

Norm is new to me and I'm loving this thread.  How the fuck did he get away with the old homosexual paedophile schtick?

garnish

Jimmy Fallon is really good, love when a guest finally gets him to crack and he starts to laugh uncontrollably.

Mr Faineant

Quote from: thraxx on September 25, 2018, 08:05:51 PM
Norm is new to me and I'm loving this thread.  How the fuck did he get away with the old homosexual paedophile schtick?

He was also relentless and hilarious about OJ. This eventually caught up to him.

Look it up though, some good stuff in there.

c

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 25, 2018, 02:21:55 PM
Am I the only one who can't stand Conan O'Brien? He's just insufferable.

No there's two of us. That self reverential doc he made when he didn't get the job he wanted boo hoo was just bizarre. He treats himself like a genius. I'll never understand US late night chat show humour. Letterman too. It's all so fucking MILD

Pseudopath

Quote from: thraxx on September 25, 2018, 08:05:51 PM

The first amendment, basically. It's a lot harder to sue someone for libel in the US, as the onus is on the plaintiff to prove that the defendant's statement is untrue (rather than the defendant having to provide evidence to back up their original statement).

rue the polywhirl

Norm in episode 1: 'Well, the audience isn't very lively. I don't understand why'.

It's because your show is boring, mate....BORING.

B   O   R   I   N   G.

momatt

Pdine

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 26, 2018, 10:26:47 AM
Norm in episode 1: 'Well, the audience isn't very lively. I don't understand why'.

It's because your show is boring, mate....BORING.

B   O   R   I   N   G.

It's because there is no audience. It's a joke. Good job!

Scrapey Fish

I don't know if my perception is influenced by the fact i haven't seem Norm Macdonald Live, but i really enjoyed the David Spade episode of this. Will be watching more

magval

It was excellent. Why wouldn't you enjoy it if you'd seen NML?

Dionne Warlock

I'm disappointed Norm didn't appear on Conan. Like Fallon, I can see Conan wanting him on but having his hands tied by the producers, who might have wanted him on too but felt that letting him do his thing like normal, without the controversy being addressed, would have caused an inevitable backlash. The show has never really been one to weigh in on politics or grill the guests, so perhaps, to their mind, this was a lose-lose situation where bringing Norm on only to have him explain himself yet another time would have gone against the intentions of the show, while bringing him on as if nothing had happened would have landed them with a controversy of their own unnecessarily.

But fuck knows what happened. Maybe Norm was the one who pulled out.

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: magval on September 26, 2018, 01:16:59 PM
It was excellent. Why wouldn't you enjoy it if you'd seen NML?
People have been saying NML is better, the new half hour format is too short, Norm isn't as sparky as he was

It's still really fucking good though. First thing to make me have some proper belly laughs in ages. Just the NML stuff had a real looseness and excitement to it that I don't think they'll recapture with the netflix show for various reasons. But that's alright, I still think it's great, anything that provides an outlet for more Norm is good in my book.

Personally loved the Spade, Chase, Keaton and Barrymore episodes. The others still all had some really nice little moments in them too though.