Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recording from a PA Sound System / Mixer

Started by Onken, March 03, 2016, 01:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

I own one of these for interviews, the Zoom H6. I'm needing to record two people doing a Q&A session on Saturday and wondered what type of lead I'd need to record straight from the PA system. No band or anything just talking.

All I can tell you is my thing has four XLR's and line out jack on the bottom.

What would you advise?

NoSleep

Those XLR sockets will take jacks through the centre hole as well. These could be the standard two-contact type; TS[=tip/sleeve], or the balanced three-contact type; TRS[=tip/ring/sleeve]. Both will likely work, although, if the mixing desk has balanced outputs it might be preferable to use the TRS type, thus using the recorder in balanced mode, too, although you're generally fine with unbalanced (TS), too.

Whether you use XLR or jacks depends on the available outputs on the desk you wish to record from. Most desks have the means to record a two-track version of the output alongside the main outputs to the PA/monitors. So we need to know what model is the desk.

Onken

Thanks. I'm gonna call in today and have a look what they've got.