Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls 3

Started by Shay Chaise, March 06, 2016, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

Heads up. March 1st was the embargo for a recent press event and so there are spoilers all over YouTube now, be pretty careful if you're someone who likes these things to be a surprise. Vaati even put mild spoilers in his video title.

This is out in the UK on April 12th but out in Japan on March 24th. Hmmm. I don't really want it spoiled, which it will be, and I don't really want to wait when I could just play it. I thought about it a bit, tested the waters at work for time off, they said it's Good Friday anyway you plonker, set up Japanese account, bought credit through Play Asia, got a ticking clock on my PS4, Dark Souls 3 in 16 and a bit days!

It's going to be in Japanese, obviously, but the VO will be in English as it always has been. I don't think I'll be arsed about item descriptions til after my first playthrough and most stuff I'll recognise from icons, basically. I used to have a Japanese Wii so I'll also recognise the basics for OK and Accept and YOU DIED. I also convinced myself that only understanding fragments will be the true Miyazaki experience, given his history with Western fantasy literature as a kid, etc. That's bollocks, though, let's face it.

Anyone else dumb enough to do the same? Anyone else incredibly psyched for this? I'm going in basically blind for the first time since Demon's Souls.

Thursday

It does seem like spoilers are going to be unavoidable, but at the same time, I don't even really understand what's happened in a Souls game the first time you play it. I've already heard the game contains references to previous games
Spoiler alert
Firelink shrine
[close]
being one, but unless it goes full on fan service with the game and has you teaming up with/fighting lots of characters from previous games then I'm not sure how much can really be spoiled that much.

Shay Chaise

I don't want any boss or area names spoiled, really. I saw some stuff I probably didn't want to see in the first trailers, including what you mentioned but I expect some recurring themes and characters, I expect it's going to reinforce the cyclical Asian philosophy stuff and we'll have references, subtle and less so, but it's about the first time surprises for me, really. I don't want to hear about the sulfur grotto or ferrous turtle or whatever, because I'll be waiting for them instead of playing moment to moment. Anyway, that's why I went for the Japanese version, last ever Souls, wanna do it right.

Thursday

Quote from: Shay Chaise on March 06, 2016, 08:57:38 PM
I don't want any boss or area names spoiled, really. I saw some stuff I probably didn't want to see in the first trailers, including what you mentioned but I expect some recurring themes and characters, I expect it's going to reinforce the cyclical Asian philosophy stuff and we'll have references, subtle and less so, but it's about the first time surprises for me, really. I don't want to hear about the sulfur grotto or ferrous turtle or whatever, because I'll be waiting for them instead of playing moment to moment. Anyway, that's why I went for the Japanese version, last ever Souls, wanna do it right.

Yeah, I do agree on boss names and things like that spoiled, I remember that with Bloodborne seeing a screenshot a few days after it was out, of 
Spoiler alert
Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos
[close]
I mean with a name like that I thought that must be the end boss, so even though I was some way through it, it meant I was mentally counting down until it came.

Still, even though I would rather go in fresh, I just think any spoilers for a game like Dark Souls are going to be relatively mild compared to some games/other media.

brat-sampson

I had a recommended video pop up on Youtube last year with a big splash text of 'How 2 Beet Final Boss in Bloodborn!' etc and just from the damn *setting* (that you could see behind the splash) it basically ruined the ending for me.

Thoughtless fuckers out there. Click-hungry thoughtless fuckers.

Hollow

I don't know about this, Bloodbourne is one thing, it suits my style, but a real souls game?

I still remember the beating and confusion that Demon's Souls gave me.

Thursday

As much as I hate the wanking on about frame rates this is good to hear http://www.pcinvasion.com/dark-souls-3-confirmed-60fps-pc

Shay Chaise

Anybody else shoot for the Japanese version then, in the end? Preload starts tomorrow and it will unlock on Weds afternoon. I'm working late unfortunately but will hope to get on after nine. I can't believe it's here, actually, just hoping it's good because I've put more time and thought into Souls than any other games.

As an aside, Demon's is available on Japanese PSNow, so hopefully it'll make its way to the EU version at some point.

Shay Chaise

I got home early. Great start. Sat through the intro screen, messed about with character set up, press X to confirm and start game, message pops up in Japanese, no, I meant Circle, the buttons are the other way round, of course!

Confirm exit.

Main menu.

Thursday

How do you buy from the Japanese store, do you need to do that thing of buying gift cards and making your address a Japanese hotel?

Shay Chaise

Nah, it's dead easy. You can just buy codes off Play Asia. Set up a Jap account which is easy enough with a 2 min YT walkthrough and you're away. I had to get 8000 yen's worth which was about fifty two quid from memory but I can hire Demon's Souls on Jap PSNow with the change! Just haven't got round to it yet.

Obviously, I'm not going to spoil a thing because I'm not that kind of twat but this is brilliant so far, several heartstopping moments, a fist pump and a lot of grinning. It feels really strange being back in Souls after Bloodborne, but this will be my first true blind playthrough. I was too much of a coward/noob with the previous games and couldn't help but spoil and look up walkthrough stuff for direction and tips.

Bhazor

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I've just started playing Dark Souls.

Bit of alright, aint it?

Shay Chaise

You're always right on time with Dark Souls. It's probably my favourite game full stop. Take your time. You've got a lot of amazing gaming ahead of you, with 2 and 3 to come.

brat-sampson

Um, ridiculously, if you're planning on playing this on XBOne, you can immediately purchase the japanese version from the japanese store, change system to English and play the fully translated version right now. It's stupid. I don't have one, so will be maintaining radio silence, but it's an FYI, should anyone be so inclined. I don't know the details of the method, but NeoGaf and Reddit are in a bit of a tizzy about it so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Shay Chaise

Microsoft are looking to put a stop to it, it seems, so get in quick and do this at your peril. Play Offline seems to be the advice lest it be patched. It does make a mockery of this staggered release nonsense, though. It's there, ready to run, just sell it.

Hollow

What they are going to do region code the game post release? That shouldn't be allowed, great how big corporations tell us where we can buy things from, and by great I obviously mean it's demeaning and insulting.

Barry Admin

What build you going for Chay? Think I might forgo the usual STR or Quality build and try some magic. Probably just end up going DEX though.

Tempted by the Japanese Xbox thing, but just too worried about it eventually fucking up invasions or something. Still trying to beat DS 1 anyway, and the DS2 challenge areas in the DLC, then wouldn't mind finally going to NG+ with both of them.

I really, really can't wait for DS3.

Shay Chaise

Basically, because I don't know what anything says (!) I'm going to do a straightforward quality build first time which should keep me going til the English version is out on PS4. My first builds on DS1 and 2 basically shafted me by mid game so I ended up restarting with everything I'd learned and just about got through second time around, with walk through stuff. Bloodborne I did as blind as I could and just ran straight through with the starting weapon and I found that great, especially figuring out all the stuff I'd missed and not really understood. One day if you pick up a PS4, I really really recommend that one. Probably as good as Dark Souls, honest.

So for this one, I've got the joy of not only not really understanding the new mechanics but also not understanding the item descriptions or lore, outside of conversations. I should say, of course, the voice work is as brilliant as ever. There's nothing for anyone to worry about so far, it's truly got that Souls feel but it's another flavour again.

Thursday

I decided to try and fend off the stupid temptation to get the Japanese version by buying Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I mean it seems okay I suppose. The camera pervs at her bum more than ever, even though she's a proper character and everything now. She keeps swearing though. I mean it's just not language befitting a Croft is it?

Hollow

Quote from: Thursday on March 24, 2016, 09:04:24 PM
I decided to try and fend off the stupid temptation to get the Japanese version by buying Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I mean it seems okay I suppose. The camera pervs at her bum more than ever, even though she's a proper character and everything now. She keeps swearing though. I mean it's just not language befitting a Croft is it?

The camera does not perve at anything, it's a third person game, what do you want, Lara to run backwards so it doesn't offend your sensibilities?

Wouldn't it be good to have your own opinions about stuff?

Shay Chaise

Just don't look at her bum, you dirty rotter. Blaming the camera, indeed...

I would say that as much as I'm loving this, it is mad really and I'm missing a lot about items and upgrades and covenants. I've tried to avoid even the DS3 Japan subreddit now because I don't want to see any item info in advance, so ultimately the wait would be worth it if you can avoid spoilers. This is a shallow run from a mechanical and lore perspective. That said IT'S AMAZING!!!

Thursday

Quote from: Hollow on March 24, 2016, 09:30:32 PM
The camera does not perve at anything, it's a third person game, what do you want, Lara to run backwards so it doesn't offend your sensibilities?

Wouldn't it be good to have your own opinions about stuff?

Hey I'm not complaining! Just find the fact that it does funny, because of all the talk of Lara being a more rounded character now, there's still an objectification going on that's a bit hypocritical. Yes it's a 3rd person game but the camera does keep finding reason to go to low angles and framing things in a certain way. But anyway despite being an awful SJW brainwashed by the twitter feminazi's... I'm still a perv myself... so there!

Barry Admin

Watch the "how NOT to play Dark Souls" videos on YouTube - DSP gameplay with YouTube comments overlaid. Amazing.

Enjoy, and don't go hollow.

Shay Chaise

I almost feel sorry for the guy. I could only watch about five minutes though, it's painful!

As for DS3, no spoilers but this is truly Dark Souls 3. I can't see them picking up any naysayers, and noobs will be as unwelcomed as ever, but without being a retread, this will hit the spot for anyone who's enjoyed any Souls before. It just feels like Dark Souls 3, couldn't exist without the first two, but does its own thing again.

Shay Chaise

No spoilers. This is an absolutely gorgeous, enormous, epic (in the classical sense), wondrous brute of a game. I spent today trying to beat a couple of bosses in different directions. Both bested me again and again for different reasons. I finally finally got through. What a feeling.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Thursday on March 24, 2016, 11:23:14 PM
Lara being a more rounded character now

Aye she had some round characteristics on her allright.

Fuck, I dunno if I can be arsed with this, played 1 to about half way on the Xbox before it fell out of favour then revisited it on PC by then I just wanted a tour of the place and even with God mode on I died 4 times. I watched the speedruns of 2 and marvelled at the insane glitch abuses but didn't dip my toe. I'll almost certainly nab this eventually but I doubt it'll get an honest run out of me.

Shay Chaise

I really don't understand why you'd spoil it for yourself like that.. I don't mean to be judgemental, it's just a tragedy that you'd deliberately sabotage a blind run of Dark Souls. It's a unique peak experience in all of gaming.

Big Jack McBastard

I had a solid crack at the first but at some point I lost steam and didn't pick it up again, I think it was around the poison marshes or the ghost infested place. I never had/found the gear for those places to survive and didn't farm (except for souls at the forest) or go looking for guides so it kicked my dick in regularly until I snapped. I'd probably never have finished it without pouring over some guide and I didn't fancy that.

I'm not usually one for copping out on a tough game but it sapped my will to live a few too many times, it felt less like a game and more of a chore, then became a burden and that's where I lost my ability to continue shouting 'YOU FUCKING MASSIVE METAL CUNT!" at my telly over and over and I moved on to summat less stressful while you lot teased your dopamine receptors into oblivion.

Shay Chaise

This is a sensational game. It's so grand and sumptuous and overwhelming. I can't wait to talk about this and hear your thoughts and feelings on it. I'm at 24 hours now and it's getting even better. I can't even contemplate some of the level design, it's beyond clever, it's absolutely vast and begs exploration. It takes the best bits of every Souls game with Bloodborne's eye for detail. Honestly, I'm surprised it's this good. I can't wait for the Bonfireside Chat season on it.

Shay Chaise

I have no idea how they developed this game alongside Bloodborne. It's like Naughty Dog knocking out Uncharted 3 and TLOU simultaneously. I thought I'd finally reached a more linear area, with a Dark Souls 2 vibe to it, only to find it expand in every direction and fold in on itself from several angles. I know it's their thing and you expect locked doors near a bonfire and so on but these guys are incomparable in terms of level design. I'm just thinking back to the starting area of this particular area and where I ended up, (with my post above) only to realise now that I wasn't even halfway and that there's an entirely missable large area via another easily missable large area, as well as the second half of the main area.

My enduring impression is that in comparison, Bloodborne was their experimental side project. This is the big one.