Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls 3

Started by Shay Chaise, March 06, 2016, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

I really think that backwards compatibility on the XB1 and the DS giveaway is such a brilliant idea and just a brilliant thing. I gave my PS3 to a mate who broke it so I'm pretty torn on getting another second hand purely for Demon's and Dark. I think Demon's may come to PSNow (which is shit, and has nothing on genuine BC) because it's on Japanese PSNow currently but despite all the calls for it, there's not even been a whisper of a Dark Souls remaster or even straight up port for PS4. I'd be more tempted to buy an XB1 than another PS3 in a way.

Neil

Just trying it out here and it works lovely. Got the DLC installed in it too. Looks beautiful on this better TV. Yep, can even take screenshots, so I'm sure captures are fine too. And no more fucking about with discs, beautiful.

It's pretty fucking rare, these days, that I'd keep coming back to a game after four years.  And I've still more to do!

Back to DS3, hmm, I wonder if that's
Spoiler alert
Hawkeye
[close]
perched up yonder...!

Wow, this game really does look stunning.

Edit: Jesus Christ, the
Spoiler alert
Evangelist
[close]
in US! This place is freaky.

Entropy Balsmalch

I'm propper shit at this.

Thursday

Mmm hmm, there's quite a bit of fan service in this, wasn't sure how I felt about Andre being there, but something just happened that made me so happy.

Neil

I am absolutely bloody loving this. Really gruesome, surprising and scary. Just grinding out some Sunlight Medals, then might try and leave it for the night.

TheFalconMalteser

The amount of people that don't have a clue what to do with the tree, christ sake. I'm getting three guys each time, immediately the three if them die. Been through about 6 ember.   

Shay Chaise

I was conscious of giving it the fucking way-oh hype but I think it's just a brilliant game. How dense is the U.S. area? So many little paths and loads of verticality. There's still an area I can't access there, I've been there before but I can't for the life of me remember how.

Has anyone managed to join the purples yet? That's a really fun dynamic for both host and phantom.

TheFalconMalteser

Decided to try and help someone else. We boss him straight away. AAAAHH.

brat-sampson

Well, I went through hell pushing through an area, took a break, came back and explored more in an earlier one only to find an entirely *new* area, which (eventually) has resulted in a Boss that's fucked me over once too many for one day. I might go back to my other path next time... This game already feels more 'wide' than Bloodborne, in that it feels enormous already and I know I'm not even very far through. But for now I'm still really not used to how to get in parrys or backstabs reliably, which I think is hurting me a lot.

Neil

Just had my first invasion by a purple! I'd just bought and equipped magic sword and heavy soul arrow, and upgraded my Estoc to +3. I always do STR builds, so this time I'm doing DEX with a bit of magic.

Buffed my sword, hit him twice with Heavy Soul Arrow then switched to shield. Rolled at him when he tried to use a pyromancy, and then I stun-locked the fuck out of him. Love it.

Neil

See if this works: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AF3E1FFE29B9EEF8!119&authkey=!ABhU0SssLenJInM&ithint=video%2cmp4

Missed an open backstab, but so happy not to get my ass kicked by my first invader!

Thursday

I love how firelink is a mini-level in itself, lots of little things to discover

The amount of people that don't have a clue what to do with the tree, christ sake. I'm getting three guys each time, immediately the three if them die. Been through about 6 ember.

Summoned someone on my 2nd attempt to see if I could learn anything from them. they weren't bad, but just a bit slow and I died because I'd run out of estus. Next time I just did it solo. Seem like it'll be a frustrating boss to help people with at the moment because you're going to get so many people who don't know what they're doing

TheFalconMalteser

On the concourse leading up to the 3rd boss, all the poppies, dead lush, I have two guys helping.  We get invaded - immediately rush him and a good hack away, sorted.  But there is a little bridge there to an area with some houses, there you have 2-3 of the big guys who throw big pots and hold a massive razor blade.

Well he runs off over there, and FUCKS SAKE the other two follow him, well needless to say with the added enemies they both die quite quickly.  He comes back over, now with two of the enemies, which really I should have killed.  Esp as, like a BASTARD, he just walked up to the top, in front of the doorway, and sits down, to watch me get killed.  It was a pretty cool, swaggy moment to give him credit.

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: Thursday on April 14, 2016, 12:17:17 AM
I love how firelink is a mini-level in itself, lots of little things to discover

Summoned someone on my 2nd attempt to see if I could learn anything from them. they weren't bad, but just a bit slow and I died because I'd run out of estus. Next time I just did it solo. Seem like it'll be a frustrating boss to help people with at the moment because you're going to get so many people who don't know what they're doing

Yes true - and in the first 3 of my ember losses that was me.  I like the thing that lets you summon 3, not 2 people, that's cool (with added risk of invasion).

Neil

Starting the day off by listening through the main menu music a few times. How good is that piece of music? Absolutely thunderous.

Neil

Damn, I knew doing a dex build would break my heart when I came across the inevitable Butcher's Knife. My fave DS2 weapon, but oh well, the idea is to try different stuff out anyway.

Edit: oooh, the next weapon you get looks amazing for a quality build.

Neil

Quote from: Thursday on April 13, 2016, 09:20:28 PM
Mmm hmm, there's quite a bit of fan service in this, wasn't sure how I felt about Andre being there, but something just happened that made me so happy.

What a moment! I'm stuck on what to do next though. I've been exploring a lot more of the area and have other stuff opened up, so I think I'll just go back and get the boss.

Spoiler alert
Greirart was offering me a shield with 100% physical reduction, but I didn't have the souls, and now he seems useless. Maybe I'll pop back now I've freed someone else and see what the state of play is.
[close]

Neil

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2016, 04:07:04 PM
What a moment! I'm stuck on what to do next though. I've been exploring a lot more of the area and have other stuff opened up, so I think I'll just go back and get the boss.

Spoiler alert
Greirat was offering me a shield with 100% physical reduction, but I didn't have the souls, and now he seems useless. Maybe I'll pop back now I've freed someone else and see what the state of play is.
[close]

Bhazor

About 10 hours in[nb]Which doesn't mean much, I'm incredibly slow with RPGs.[/nb] and as someone who only just finished Dark Souls 1 for the first time a week ago I have to say Dark Souls 3 feels way harder. That tutorial boss killed me a dozen times until I managed to cheese him during his transformation. There are enemies on the critical path who feel as tough as optional side bosses in the previous game. The winged Knight in the first 10 minutes of the first proper level felt on par with the Black Knights in DS1. Enemies all seem to have much wider attack arcs and are more likely to swarm and surround you.

Coming straight from DS1 I was also disappointed to see some of the old problems still there after 3 sequels. Ranged combat is incredibly exploitable with a large number of enemies having no way to fight back and just stand there taking it. Aggroing one enemy at a time is still overly effective and just plain daft looking. Together they end up turning alot of encounters into tedious conveyor belts as you pull them up the stairs one at a time. Meanwhile 90% of the time the hardest aspect of a bossfight is just trying to wrestle the camera into a position you can actually see yourself. So many bosses just seem to clip through the camera so all you can see is the dodgy inside out texture of some eldritch abomination. I get that they don't want to take your camera control away but still, compared to God Of War or similar titanic boss fight games this just feels really archaic and sloppy.

Still a fantastic game mind. Theres just so few games that feel this good.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2016, 04:07:04 PM

Spoiler alert
Greirart was offering me a shield with 100% physical reduction, but I didn't have the souls, and now he seems useless. Maybe I'll pop back now I've freed someone else and see what the state of play is.
[close]

Yeah, I got stuck with that too but did get a decent drop to help out. I think only Knight starts with a 100%.

Neil

I had him down to one-hit, so I could do him. I'm just wondering if there is indeed another way, in terms of yer mans quest line.

Shay Chaise

Hmm, now I'm a bit puzzled. Are you referring in any way to a lift?

Neil

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 14, 2016, 05:07:11 PM
Hmm, now I'm a bit puzzled. Are you referring in any way to a lift?

Spoiler alert
Onion-bro. I'm tempted not to just jump down and kill that thing, yet.
[close]

Just managed to get the tree done without summoning, so now a bit more exploring

Got my 100% shield too, yeoowww.

Thursday

There's a silver eagle kite shield in lothric which is also 100% unlike the regular kite shield, you do weapon arts instead of parry's with it.

brat-sampson

YES!!! Beasted both of my previously mentioned directions and am now in a lovely place I can only describe as (Main Path Location spoiler after Far. Ke.)
Spoiler alert
Sen's Catacombs
[close]
. I had an explore, realised I had too many souls for comfort, promptly died, went back, recovered them, ran ahead blindly looking for a bonfire, found a boss instead, remembered Homeward Bones are a thing and am now having a breather in Firelink.

Phew.

Neil

Getting more invaders now. Had a close match with one there, but got them in the end. Then I get invaded by a dark spirit AND a watchdog? I dunno what that is. Was it an npc perhaps? I'd also just switched over to Blue Sentinels.

(Unless watchdog was part of his username, I dunno.)

Edit: another invader! [Spolier]Dropped a crown and something else. Ok that WAS an NPC.[/spoiler]

Entropy Balsmalch

It gets easier after you beat the tutorial bloke right?

Shay Chaise

Quote from: brat-sampson on April 14, 2016, 07:35:29 PM
YES!!! Beasted both of my previously mentioned directions and am now in a lovely place I can only describe as (Main Path Location Spoiler after Far. Ke.)
Spoiler alert
Sen's Catacombs
[close]
. I had an explore, realised I had too many souls for comfort, promptly died, went back, recovered them, ran ahead blindly looking for a bonfire, found a boss instead, remembered Homeward Bones are a thing and am now having a breather in Firelink.

Phew.

How brilliant is the boss to get to where you are now?! :D

That was a proper wall for me, tried probably fifteen or twenty times before I summoned and still struggled for a few attempts. I think it's a unique and really cool dynamic.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Entropy Balsmalch on April 14, 2016, 08:40:27 PM
It gets easier after you beat the tutorial bloke right?

What starting class did you pick?

Junglist

10 and a half hours, there bosses and areas fully cleared. Level 40 with a beast weapon and armour.

I'm having more fun with this than I have any of the previous Souls games. Helps not holding DkS1 that close to my heart as I was a late adopter.

Combat is sublime, its absolutely stunning to look at and it flows so well.

Yet to die to a boss yet, which I'm chuffed about. Have died about 50 times total though lol.

Still adore that feeling of creeping forward with 15/20k souls, no estus and desperately seeking a bonfire. Nothing else in gaming like it, especially when it goes tits up and you're in fully on Benny Hill panic mode legging it and dodging attacks all over the place