Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:44:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls 3

Started by Shay Chaise, March 06, 2016, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoz_MK

Apparently so, unsure if we'll be revisiting old areas or characters or anything but hopefully some closure.

Thursday

Summoned the NPC for that first boss, which obviously changed the balance of it quite a lot. And it's another fucking 2nd phase boss, which just seems crazy with how hard that first part must be to do solo. It has such a huge health bar that after quite a lot of attempts I changed my stats to do more damage.

There's some DS2 location referencing here. Wonder if anything should be read into the fact that it's an area called The Dreg Heap.

Shay Chaise

I got about ten minutes into it and turned it off. Coming off the back of Zelda and Nioh, it feels so sluggish, even with my uchi build. I'll do it later in the year or something. I've had enough of Souls, sadly. It doesn't change how I feel about 1&2, both of which I adore, but this feels needless.

Thursday

Just the optional boss left to do now, and he has so many fucking hitpoints I don't know if I can be bothered  and I'm having weird issues summoning.

Did enjoy this more than Ashes of Ariandel, but it was sort of what I expect from Dark Souls 3 at this point.

There was an NPC questline that was potentially interesting (although again, a bit of a retread) but it seems to have fucked and gone hostile. Not sure if it's a glitch or I left it too late to do something.

Barry Admin

Bump.

Got the season pass for £8 last week, so it's time to get back into this. I'd spent a huge amount of time replaying DS 1 and 2 just before number 3 came out, so then I sadly ended up getting bored and giving up.

Started a new character just to get used to things again, as my first character was getting his shit wrecked at Anor Londo, where I seem to be right at a boss fight. I've got an estoc +5 equipped, presumably so I can shield-break, although it needs upgraded. I guess I was mostly using the Sellsword Twinblades.

It's very tempting to just bin this playthrough and keep to the new one, or maybe manage both for a bit. I can barely remember anything - this character is about 64 btw, 34 pumped into DEX.

Swoz_MK

That's my favourite non-DLC fight from DS3.
I have started yet another playthrough where I don't continue past the Cathedral, I find it really hits a dip in quality there.

Barry Admin

Aldrich was fun, yeah. I've been casually just pissing about for a day or two, helping people beat the Dancer, and really just enjoying that, and getting called in as a Darkmoon. Finally got round to doing him myself, and I'm into Lothric Castle for the first time. Phew, there are some bad boys in here.

Barry Admin

Started yet another character, like an absolute wanker. Sorcerer, I love magic but never really bother in Dark Souls because the fighting is so much fun. Want to try some different stuff out, other than the magic weapon buff or the odd bit of pyromancy.

On my main, when I lose my ember now I just go back and help with the Dancer again. People always want help there, and I love that fight now.

Barry Admin

Stay out of them woods. Them's my woods. I own them woods.

Might not rank up further for a while, too much fun. Thinking of starting a faith build now to cap at 25 for even more fun. I do love those first 30 levels or so of building a new Souls character.

Anyway, I love taking out the host, then quickly doing a Judas and killing the mad lad moundbro or red invader who was also trying to take out the beleaguered invadee.

I pine for the ratbros days though. Fucking hell was that ever fun. A lot of people complain about how unbalanced it was for the person who had to run the gauntlet, but that was all part of the fun.

Shay Chaise

Rat Bros and Bell Bros for life. I really enjoyed DS3 PvP but DS2 was the greatest in hindsight. Even Way of the Blue was fun.

Barry Admin

I guess I haven't done that much DS3 pvp, should really crack on and finish the actual game! Had a cracking invasion there, another Watchdog seemed to be acting as a referee, not directly fighting. Eventually he blocked our estus recovery and we were both on one hit, rolling like crazy, trying to get that last hit on the other. The host got me in the end, but it was memorable stuff, loved it.

Magic does seem easy - at this level anyway - to just sidestep or roll. I should maybe get back to my dex character and try to integrate the weapons arts stuff into my play style. Always forget about those extra abilities.

Bhazor

Viero_Berlotti

Just a heads up that this is currently on sale in the PS Store for £16.99.

After playing Demon's, DS1 + 2 and Bloodborne obsessively I was a bit Soulsed out and thought I'd give 3 a miss when it first came out and wait at least a year.

I can't wait to jump back in now though....

Golden E. Pump

I got it for Christmas, having never played a 'Souls' game before. Got to a crystal dog thing a few minutes in. Died. Went a different way, found a boss. Died. Fucking hell, I've never played a game and died twice in half an hour in the first area. It feels like it could get addictive, providing I can ever actually get past the first boss.

Viero_Berlotti

It's a steep learning curve, one that some never get beyond. It took me a few goes last night to get past that first boss because I was trying to two-hand it. I was coming close to beating him but I switched strategy to one hand and shield and beat him first go using that. Just keep your shield up and circle him from the right, attacking when openings appear. Also the arena space is big for a reason, learn how to use the space to your advantage to evade his attacks. Also make sure you are locking on. I remember when I first played Demon's Souls and for the first few hours I wasn't aware you could lock on to enemies. It made a big difference.

Bhazor

The first boss in Dark Souls 3 is a real fucking baptism of fire. That guy is just some mad shit for a rookie. Far harder than anything in the first half of Dark Souls 1 and 2.

Viero_Berlotti

Yeah I would've been stuck on him for hours if I was new to this series. I remember being stuck on the Asylum Demon on DS1 for days.

Golden E. Pump

I gave up and played Wolfenstein 2 instead, which is much more accessible.

Bhazor

Yeah, the sword guy is way too much for a tutorial level. Sadly it's too early in the game to even grind a couple levels or abuse ranged items. The only tip is to fucking whale on the cunt before his health bar appears and then whale on him again when he drops to a knee.

Viero_Berlotti

A good tip for a beginner would be to just go in there with him and don't attack. Just try and dodge his attacks and see how long you can last without getting hit. Observe the pattern of his attacks and look out for the windows of opportunity. It's one of those games you got to get in the rhythm of, once it clicks what at one point seemed impossible will seem a lot easier.

madhair60

I can't beat the second boss ;_;

madhair60

And, after whinging about it, I beat him next try.

Every time.

Bazooka

I use Game Genie for one hit kills.

Viero_Berlotti

Spoiler alert
I read that the coconut returns for DS3. Not many people know about it. The coconut is very well hidden in the first tutorial area. If you can find it, equip it before the boss fight and it will be a cakewalk.
[close]

Golden E. Pump

Given up completely. The least enjoyable game I've ever played. And that includes 'Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness'.

Barry Admin

What class were you using? Try a knight or something. Think they still have 100% block from the start.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on December 29, 2017, 04:24:49 PM
Given up completely. The least enjoyable game I've ever played. And that includes 'Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness'.

You're certainly not the first to bounce off a Dark Souls game. I bounced off both Demon's and the first Dark Souls for months. They're two of the best games ever made and Dark Souls is now my favourite game of all time, it changed my life and what I feel games can do. Dark Souls 3 isn't as good but the gameplay is very solid.

Basically, though, your first Souls game is always going to be pretty painful at first. Stuff to do to make it better:

1. Use L1 to keep your shield up and be cautious and patient.
2. Let go of L1 when safe to replenish your stamina faster.
3. Press circle to roll forwards 'through' enemy attacks.
4. Hit enemies in the arse and the side. It's generally safer.
5. Only heal when you have a safe window of opportunity, it takes a second or two.
6. Upgrade your weapon with the blacksmith ASAP.
7. Summon other players to help you with the bosses.

You can go through the game as a knight with decent armour and sword and shield, play patiently, don't take too many risks, learn to time your dodge rolls, hit twice and then back away and block. You'll gradually learn different enemies and your own weapon movesets and range and speed and so on and you can play your own way. I finished DS3 probably seven or eight times with pretty different builds, all the magic options and various melee characters. The environments are special, the bosses are pretty imaginative and there are only a couple of optional really tough bits but if you reach that point, you'll probably want to do them!

I'm not saying fuckin play the game propley scrub, I'm just saying if you ever feel like going back, that'll get you off on a much stronger footing.

Bhazor

Just a few kind of cool lore videos I found. Really goes to show how the Souls games have mastered subtle storytelling and how I missed all of it. Massive spoilers obvs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOZNj5E0AWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpPc08jHAjM&feature=youtu.be

falafel

Got this early as part of Humble Monthly, couldn't resist, and hopefully will get through it before DS1 comes out on Switch.

When you guys refer to the "first boss" are you talking about the guy you find kneeling quietly in the pond? Before the throne room? I'm only about 40 minutes in and he's the first boss-ish guy I've encountered. I'm a bit confused by people saying he was tricky because I just sort of ran in, hugged him close and panic-stabbed him until he fell over, and he only got one hit in. I would stress that I'mt not that good or Souls games and games in general. Is it just that he's tough as a tutorial boss and I've played too much of this (I guess around 140 hours for DS1 and DS2 combined) because he seemed way easier than the Asylum Demon or even stuff like the vagina dentata dragon thingy. Certainly a fuckload easier than that mantis bastard just before Blight Town. God it's been so long I can't even remember the name. You know, two or three big fuck off attack dogs and that big bastard in a tiny room where you just died and died and died. I would still find that a pain in the arse. I am dreading that part of the remastered edition, in fact.

So yeah, am I better than I thought I was, did I get lucky, or is it just a question of experience?

edit: oh my god, the pursuer fellow from DS2, surely he's better than that?

You know - in fact- I remember far, far more of DS2 than I do of DS1. Mainly DS 1 is asylum demon, vagina dentata, king rat, blight town frame rates, RNG chaos, fucking Azeroth stampy demons, rotating fire matroshkas, asylum demon again, big snake, four fucking bastard kings, irritating ghosts, and alright alright Sif and whatsisname with the round helmet and the sun obsession. DS2 is more to the forefront of my memory though, with the Irish woman, the greedy sorceress charlatan, the pirate nonsense, the bastille, that massive well, all those rats, the miserable king, the bonkers queen, the fire fella, the underground graveyard, the Giants. That ending was arse, mind you - not a patch on that sad old bastard Gwen? Glyn? Gareth?

Uh