Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls 3

Started by Shay Chaise, March 06, 2016, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFalconMalteser

Just got it.  Got four beers, speakers on loud about to dive in.  On each game I've got progressively closer to completing them, which is a shame given ds2 which I played last I missed out on the dlc. GlAd to be starting this one the same time as everyone else. 

TheFalconMalteser

Imagine the conflict of having a girl come round who wants me to cook later, but I just want to play this, and now it's downloading an update file??

Shay Chaise

Cancel on her. What awful planning.

Neil

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 12, 2016, 04:40:18 PM
I've beaten this game twice in the past three weeks. Just died six times on the first boss with a different starting class. Don't judge.

Speaking of which, I always go Deprived, and he pushed my shit in there. Grabbing some booze before I jump back in. Love the familiarity of the sound design and even the lo-fi menus.

Junglist

Two and a half hours in, two bosses down. Its feels so fluid, the roll is amazing as per. Fucked the shield off, two handing for life. Went with Warrior and hit level 22, gonna leave it there today as I want to savour it.

Its everything I hoped for.

TheFalconMalteser

This fucking game! Haha! The first guy you properly fight, as the fight changes each time I've said out loud "fucks SAKE what IS THIS BULLSHIT?!?"

Love it.  How many tries past this first guy? This is literally about the 9th chap I've met. 

TheFalconMalteser

Last attempt ended with me shouting FUCKS SAKE HOW DO I EVEN HIT THE CUNT.

Starting to remind me of Havel The Rock Johnson.

brat-sampson

It's great. I suck but can only blame a part of that on being too used to Bloodborne. It's not even the controls, it's the mechanics. I'm forgetting to keep my shield raised and missing regain. But still, after some hours I've done the tutorial guy, had a fairly thorough explore of the first two areas and am on a boss in the second one who'll go down... eventually, and it's so damn good.

TheFalconMalteser

I just imagine you bastards all managed this on the first attempt:(

Shay Chaise

On my first two runs, I beat him first go as Knight but he's been tough this time as Thief. I heard that the bow action is pretty rapid-fire in this game but he closes the distance so quickly in the second phase so I ended up two handing the dagger and rolling rolling rolling. And how fucking cool is that second phase, too? Quite unlike anything I've seen in previous Souls.

Junglist

Just roll into him. Its forever the way with Souls games, the instinct is to roll away but roll towards, hit, circle right til he winds attack up, roll, hit, repeat.

TheFalconMalteser

I tried that first, strafe roll circle close - but just got further and I think I was trying the wrong side of him.

Got him down to like two hits.

No game instills such psycopathic rage in me like this one...

TheFalconMalteser

Hahaha.

"oh yeeeeaaah oh yeeeeeah take that motherfucker how you like that motherfucker"

I'm 35 years old

Neil

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 12, 2016, 06:45:35 PM
And how fucking cool is that second phase, too? Quite unlike anything I've seen in previous Souls.

Yeah, I got him to half health on my second go, and was beaming so hard at that I completely lost my timing. Figured out now I can do a warcry while two-handing my club, lovely stuff.

Love how filthy the character model gets; reminds me of the snow areas in DS2 DLC. 

Kind of curious to see what the Division patch is like, but fuck it, a new Souls world to explore! This is an awesome day.

Jerzy Bondov

Tutorial boss done on the second try, loved the change-up. 'Fuck this!' I said. Scraped through with the classic sticking to his back tactic, when I could work out which bit was his back. Let's fucking go!!

brat-sampson

Nah, tutorial guy took me 2 or 3 goes. First damn big knight enemy in the first area took me more :/. I'm already scared over what to upgrade in fear I'll find a nicer weapon round the next corner and wish I'd upgraded that instead, not to mention put all my stats into the wrong thing.

TrenterPercenter

Tough, did it after about 10 attempts.

with the deprived though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neil

Nice one. He makes starting as deprived WAY more challenging that the previous two games.

Genuinely depressing to see how few of my Xbox friends are playing this today.

Neil

Ah man, the sound of the thud and clatter your enemies make when they hit the ground.

Jerzy Bondov

Just remembered the bit that says Turn Back near the start, feel like I should pop in and have a nosey.

Parrying is tricky, can I muddle through without putting in the work or should I knuckle down?

Junglist

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 12, 2016, 08:38:05 PM
Just remembered the bit that says Turn Back near the start, feel like I should pop in and have a nosey.

Parrying is tricky, can I muddle through without putting in the work or should I knuckle down?

Yes, do go back. Never run away when it says turn back, fight the good fight!

And with parrying, you never have to do it. It just makes things a bit easier if you get the timing down.

Neil

Fucking hell,
Spoiler alert
Andre and Firelink Shrine.
[close]
. Love the sound of the fire keeper chanting to herself. The sound design is soooo good.

Edit: and lots of crazy, DS1-style NPC laughing!

Jerzy Bondov

Cool will have another bash :-)

Um, how the fuck do I assign the firebomb to a button? Can't figure it out

Neil

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on April 12, 2016, 08:55:24 PM
Cool will have another bash :-)

Um, how the fuck do I assign the firebomb to a button? Can't figure it out

Equipment menu, then put them at the bottom so you can use them as a quick item like your flasks.

I'd wager that bloke up there's the sort of cunt that would advise you to go ahead and free Navlaan :-) I'm going back there when I've got some ace weapons.

Shay Chaise

I'm really enjoying plonking my summon sign down and helping with the second boss. The summoning in this game is the best in any they've done, works fast and if you get a certain item from the Shrine Handmaiden (available immediately) you can summon three phantoms, with certain consequences. Seems most people are summoning two but I've had the odd 4v1 against the boss. It's great fun being helpful.

Neil

^ Can't wait to start finding the covenants and see how PVP is in this one, I heard its great.

The lighting is already quite stunning in places. Seems more akin to what they were trying to achieve with DS2 on the last gen.

Shay Chaise

Yeah, I really enjoyed DS2 PvP once I'd properly finished that game because there were so many viable builds and daft fun gear but already I've had way more exciting, large scale fights in this.

After Bloodborne, I really love the light and the openness and sense of distance.

Neil

I realised recently this has got to be my favourite kind of fantasy setting, too. Medieval, dragons, mages, knights etc. Crumbling ramparts and castles.

You know, I love all that shit.  I've always been a huge fan of martial arts movies, so give me swords and dragon bone-fists over ray guns and superheroes any day. I mean, I've had fun with that and more, but I think this kind of period setting is the ultimate for me. Get your sword on and hack down mythical bastards from Chinese and Greek mythology and beyond. Stab a God in his dick.

Thursday

Meanwhile Bungie have really fucked it by releasing a big Destiny update today. Do they not know, or is there a reason they chose today.

Neil

Quote from: Thursday on April 12, 2016, 10:11:26 PM
Meanwhile Bungie have really fucked it by releasing a big Destiny update today. Do they not know, or is there a reason they chose today.

I was wondering where you were. They know alright. As well as DS3, the big 1.1 Division patch came out today, with incursions finally going live. That'll be their main concern.

Haha, I was thinking for ages
Spoiler alert
"This feels so much like Undead Burg"
[close]
, and then a
Spoiler alert
big cunting dragon swooped down.
[close]

Edit: oh Jesus,
Spoiler alert
Black Knight
[close]