Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls 3

Started by Shay Chaise, March 06, 2016, 07:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Cheers Neil, got the bombs working. Good thing too or I'd still be fighting that
Spoiler alert
transforming cunt on the roof
[close]
. Unlocked a shortcut but stepped out and got killed before I could work out what it linked to. Chipping away at it.

Junglist

Quote from: Neil on April 12, 2016, 09:49:32 PMStab a God in his dick.

You watch The Happy Hobbit on Twitch I guess? ;)

Jerzy Bondov

Fuckin Heart Attack: The Game. How is it so nerve wracking but so addictive? Mad bastards made this.

Bhazor

Spent an hour with it and I have a couple thoughts so far.

1) The female deprived seems to have come up in the world and is sporting an immaculate sports bra to go with her tattered rags.

2) They've somehow managed to make keyboard and mouse controls worse than in Dark Souls 1. I mean I understand it was clearly made for consoles and controllers but holding shift and left clicking for a strong attack? What? Worst is the menu controls. Enter doesn't confirm or close pop ups. All in game tutorials and prompts including menus use xbox controller icons. Pressing esc to open your tool belt can fuck off too.

Neil

Thursday

I've been getting my arse kicked, I was overconfident going in since I'd read a lot of people saying it was much easier. The starting area is, and firelink shrine gives you a lot more options from the beginning, but Lothric was tough and confusing to navigate. Eventually managed to get to the 2nd boss, which wasn't too difficult, although it took me a quite a few tries just through being lax... also I finished him by accidentally discovering/remembering the charged attack.

Starting to get used to the pace as well, I did find the middle ground between Souls and Bloodborne a little awkward at first.

brat-sampson

Well, I've had a boss that took over an hour, including getting it within a couple of hits followed by being shit, lost 10,000 souls in one go through unnecessarily bad play and saw a spoiler on a youtube video of an area I'd already been to that meant getting a weapon I like more. Now I'm lost.

Good first day, and a warm welcome back.

Junglist

Quote from: Neil on April 12, 2016, 11:24:11 PM
who

Souls streamer, he recently beat the game without taking a hit. One of his catchphrases is "kill him in the dick" so got wires crossed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/45uqa2/the_happy_hobbit_on_twitch_just_no_hitted_dark/

Neil

Ok mate.  I've avoided everything.  Have wondered if SL1 runs were a thing, tho.

Junglist

Quote from: Neil on April 12, 2016, 11:56:41 PM
Ok mate.  I've avoided everything.  Have wondered if SL1 runs were a thing, tho.

I meant Dark Souls 1, not 3. I've avoided everything about it too.

TheFalconMalteser

What's an SL1 run?

Any thoughts on stats?  Without been too spoilery...

I only learnt last time about increasing endurance I think to get poise up to give you more dodge frames.  This time you seem to start with a healthier green bar, I just stuck my first three in vitality which seems sensible but no idea after that.

brat-sampson

SL1 = Soul Level 1, which is basically jus Level 1 but it's a From game so they make it weird. You pick the class with the lowest starting stats then never level them up at all and finish the game with only weapon/equipment upgrades. Also, for some unholy reason, they seem to have made Vigour the name of your health stat and Vitality the name of the stat that governs your equipment load limit. It's stupid. It might well have been the same in DS2, but it's still just dumb.

Neil

Yeah, try it out on DS1 when you want a break, it's a lot of fun! I'm still not that far in (need to ring the second bell) but will be going back to it.

You have to start as Pyromancer, which is a great SL1 class for obvious reasons anyway.  Then I ran to get weapon upgrades as quickly as possible - obviously there's a lot of them you won't ever have the stats to wield, so in the early game I'm using a Reinforced Club +5. Thought I was still on Tattered Cloth armour, but it seems I've moved upto Elite Knight chest +3 and some other stuff.

Anyway yeah, play around with it.

Neil

Sorry, but on the topic of DS1, does anyone know how the giveaway is happening for sure? I don't have a sheet with a code in my box, just the instruction guide. Have Asda left it out, or do I I have to wait for it to be messaged to me?

I'd really like to get it installed on the Xbone on my living room, and leave the disc in my 360 in the bedroom, then just upload all my saves to the cloud.

Edit: Asda left the sheet out, as suspected. Managed to get it today. Now I can play DS1 on the big telly with the stereo again, lovely stuff.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on April 13, 2016, 07:08:10 AM
What's an SL1 run?

Any thoughts on stats?  Without been too spoilery...

I only learnt last time about increasing endurance I think to get poise up to give you more dodge frames.  This time you seem to start with a healthier green bar, I just stuck my first three in vitality which seems sensible but no idea after that.

Endurance is more important than in Bloodborne where you could rattle off half a dozen massive hammer strikes when your END was at 30 and still be able to quickstep out of there.

They seem to have removed the DS2 Agility stat which was directly related to invincibility frames when rolling. I don't know how that's calculated now but I assume it's by equip load, to some extent, so I guess Vitality will affect that.

As for weapons, the basic rule is that it's more efficient to level up the weapon than to level up your stats. However, once you do both, and the damage modifiers get up to B/A/S then you're definitely going to want to pump Strength and/or Skill, as appropriate. Obviously, you need certain stats to be able to wield various weapons. Greatswords require Strength, etc. Bows and katanas require Dexterity.

Personally, I like to get a lot into Vigour early on, like 24, so I'm more likely to survive and not waste too much time getting one shot early on. Then I try to find a decent weapon that doesn't require much Strength or Dex until I've picked a few up.

Anyone find the Mimic in Lothric early on, btw?

brat-sampson

Yeah, there was a friendly warning message in front of it with a lot of upvotes. I still didn't quite believe it until I saw it though.

Related, have troll illusory wall messages always been a big thing? I've seen a bunch.

Shay Chaise

I thought there were absolutely loads in DS2 but yeah I've seen quite a few in this early doors. I always upvote them and quite enjoy the injokey aspect of it. They're at least harmless compared to 'try jumping' which I fell for a lot in my first Souls experiences.

This isn't a troll, though it might feel like it is until you manage to do it, but has anyone come across a certain jumping glitch outside Firelink? Long story short, this isn't an area or boss or weapon spoiler but it's a little secret to save you some souls in that
Spoiler alert
you can get on the roof near that locked tower
[close]
provided that you
Spoiler alert
jump off the tree at just the right moment. Honestly
[close]
. It will allow you to access
Spoiler alert
a certain crowing NPC
[close]
and (item) and
Spoiler alert
an illusory wall
[close]

I don't feel that's a big spoiler because you might well see a ghost attempting it like I did. It's just a cool and valuable little secret but ultimately you still need to buy the
Spoiler alert
tower key
[close]
to get everything from that location.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: brat-sampson on April 12, 2016, 11:49:41 PM
Well, I've had a boss that took over an hour, including getting it within a couple of hits followed by being shit, lost 10,000 souls in one go through unnecessarily bad play and saw a Spoiler on a youtube video of an area I'd already been to that meant getting a weapon I like more. Now I'm lost.

Good first day, and a warm welcome back.

Which boss was that? Either spoiler or initials. I hit a big wall fairly early on but I don't reckon anyone will be quite there yet. Maybe tonight!

brat-sampson

I kept being bad at the second boss after the tutorial one.
Spoiler alert
Some weak points hard to spot, fella so big some if the wider sweeps are hard to spot before you're hit, minions in the first half getting in the bloody way and that grab attack in the second half being hard to dodge.
[close]
I had grievances with some if of those but will accept the rest as me being bad. I have a tendency to be a bit underlevelled in these games but usually try to power through anyway, it can just take a while :p I'm liking that so far all the run backs have been pretty reasonable though.

Shay Chaise

Yeah, I know what you mean. It took me a good few goes. It's definitely one where it's worth putting your sign down and learning what you need to do first because I was getting nowhere fast for much of the time. And yeah, it's that one particular attack which can ruin you, got to keep an eye on it at all times.
Spoiler alert
It's also a great weak point though, saves you trying to hit the shin or knee or knuckle and getting swiped or sat on, just dodge the grab and whale on the clammy twat.
[close]

As for the backtracking, I really like all the shortcuts to assorted bonfires, especially as that area is actually really dense. Have you seen any NPCs on your travels around that area?

brat-sampson

Late Un. Se. Spoilers:
Spoiler alert
I lent someone a hand that I think could've gone more smoothly but eventually we 'did it live' so to speak.
[close]
Spoiler alert
Turns out Dark Souls doesn't lend itself to a stealth experience, who knew.
[close]
A couple of other folks, one's back at the base, the other's just sitting around.

Shay Chaise

I have to say that figuring out how to meet that NPC again was harder than any boss. I slapped my forehead when I realised after I was puzzled by how I'd fluked it. So simple but so clever! Did you find the
Spoiler alert
Chloranthy Ring
[close]
afterwards?

brat-sampson

Not found the thing, but having played all of the
Spoiler alert
bloodborne dlc
[close]
, I'd seen that solution before.

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2016, 09:36:07 AM
I ran to get weapon upgrades as quickly as possible - obviously there's a lot of them you won't ever have the stats to wield, so in the early game I'm using a Reinforced Club +5. Thought I was still on Tattered Cloth armour, but it seems I've moved upto Elite Knight chest +3 and some other stuff.

Anyway yeah, play around with it.

What does that L2 thing do with the club, it looks like it puts a buff on for you?   When you double hand it - you get a sprite for a few seconds.

Junglist

Quote from: TheFalconMalteser on April 13, 2016, 01:16:50 PM
What does that L2 thing do with the club, it looks like it puts a buff on for you?   When you double hand it - you get a sprite for a few seconds.

Do L2 then use charged R2 for great victory.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: brat-sampson on April 13, 2016, 12:42:06 PM
Not found the thing, but having played all of the
Spoiler alert
bloodborne dlc
[close]
, I'd seen that solution before.

CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

No idea how I missed that.

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: Junglist on April 13, 2016, 01:20:47 PM
Do L2 then use charged R2 for great victory.

Phwoar.  If there is one thing I came for, it's great victory.

I really don't need whether to keep my build, in the last one I spent the whole time stabbing away with a spear.  The estoc serves a similar function, get a few prods in from distance, but I feel like it's a bit... wet.  And then I miss out on the ridiculous STR weapons because I never get the stat high enough.  I've already got a decent selection of weapons - ran around the firebridge and picked up a few pieces.  The game doesn't hide these early which is nice.

Also, in the tutorial area before the first boss one of the basic zombies dropped the chalice/magic stick that you use for cleric spells as a random drop!  That was handy!

Shay Chaise

Strength builds are a lot of fun, in short, but it's taken me a number of Soulsborne games to give it a go. I always used a Halberd in Demon's, Dark 1 and 2, which is a bit long and pointy, bit of strength, bit of dex, and preferred the faster weapons in Bloodborne. Subsequent plays of Dark 2 (Zweihander) and Bloodborne (anything and everything that goes CRONK CRONK CRONK) have taught me that strength builds are enormous fun. When you're piddling around slashing and fishing for backstabs, it's so refreshing to stagger a previously overwhelming enemy with a massive fucking sword or hammer.

What I would suggest, since you've probably picked it up, is giving the Claymore a go. It's got a great moveset, wide swings, reasonable length and speed and hits pretty hard compared to most early swords. If you like that, and when you find it, maybe step up to the Zweihander, which is like swinging a triple length sharpened metal cricket bat. Seeing enemies get fucked off cliffs with one weighty arc is so satisfying. If you still can't get enough, well, there's plenty more in store.

It also helps you with timing and rolling and not being greedy and endurance management because you'll generally be knackered after two swings.

Thursday

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 13, 2016, 10:04:42 AM

Anyone find the Mimic in Lothric early on, btw?

Yep, got a good axe from killing him.

Neil

In case anyone else is interested in doing this, I moved my DS1 saves to The Cloud using the 360 dashboard. Now I'm downloading DS1 to my Xbone, and I can use the same save files between whichever console I fancy playing it on. Sweet!

Edit: invasions and stuff are still a thing on DS1 anyway, but with all the newbs jumping on now because of the free copy/backwards compatibility, it should be a lot of fun. Don't want to rush through DS3 too much, so will try and break it up with my NG+ and SL1 characters on DS1. Looks like you can even take captures and screenshots, too, lovely stuff.

I am just loving having a new DS to play; that utter fear and apprehension as you walk into new areas carrying a ton of souls and hardly any flasks left, not knowing what's going to come next, or which messages to trust. There's nothing else like it!

So many great wee touches too, like when you kill someone near a wall and their blood spatters stain it.