Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:36:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Southbound (2015)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, March 06, 2016, 10:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This has been highly praised on some of the cult horror film sites I've seen, and it's pretty okay, at least in places, but not the cult classic some have claimed it to be. It's an anthology piece with four different directors, and the stories loosely connect with each other. The rest is pretty Spoiler heavy:

Spoiler alert
Story 1: So we start off with some blokes trying to leave a small motel, but who keep on returning to it in a crazy weird supernatural way. Then some mardy skeletal death creatures turn up and things don't go well. It's a brief episode, but quite effective.

Story 2 - After that three girls in a jazz band leave the motel, but soon afterwards have a flat tire. This eventually leads to dinner with cult-y types, and it plays out fairly predictably. There's some fun moments, but it's nothing special.

Story 3 - So after accidentally running over a poor lady, a surprisingly decent guy desperately tries to help her. Really liked this one, it was tense and effectively unpleasant, especially during the surgical scenes.

Story 4 - An old man continues his search for his sister in a bar where not all the patrons are quite human. Yeah, alright I suppose. A bit silly in places, but the gore's all good clean fun and the ending doesn't disappoint.

Story 5 - A nice middle class family go away for the weekend to a rented apartment, but then a few blokes in weird plastic masks turn up and try to kill them. And then in a "Woah, this is sort of an impossible timeline" kind of way it turns out they're the guys from the first story, and this one explains why those weird skeletal death things wanted to kill them. It's an okay way to end it I guess, but it left me feeling a bit meh about the whole thing.
[close]

So yeah, I dunno, it's a nice idea and has some merit, and I vaguely enjoyed it overall, but I'm not raving about it. Best watched if bored and you've nothing else to do but don't want anything too taxing, which as it happens was how I viewed it today.