Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Random scraps of movie news/rumours/trivia!

Started by Glebe, March 08, 2016, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Peter Rabbit with Corden in it.

https://youtu.be/7Pa_Weidt08

Missed a chance at tolerableness not having Capaldi as Macgregor. Maybe there'll be a fan edit.

Steven

So Mike Flanagan is directing a sequel to The Shining, preliminarily starring Ewan McGregor as Danny Torrance returning to The Overlook, based on King's Dr Sleep novel.

Are people angry at the mere premise and all ready to declare `Shit 4 Cuntz' or pleasantly looking forward to it?

"Here's Danny!"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Christ , this means McGregor will be failing yet again to do a convincing American accent, doesn't it? Why do film-makers insist on hiring him to play American characters?

I can only hope that, after their terrifying ordeal at the Overlook Hotel, Wendy and Danny emigrated to a peaceful little town in Perth and Kinross, thereby explaining adult Danny's lilting Scottish brogue. Voila, problem solved.

Steven

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 16, 2018, 06:17:11 PM
Christ , this means McGregor will be failing yet again to do a convincing American accent, doesn't it? Why do film-makers insist on hiring him to play American characters?

It must be a horribly incestuous business where deals are made between productions companies, studios and managers etc just depending on who knows who, so certain actors get roped in to being attached to films which clearly they shouldn't be starring in. I'm thinking of Coppola being stuck with Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder for Dracula here for example.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That must be what happens, yes. To use the example you cite, I just can't imagine Coppola saying to his associates, "You know who'd be perfect for the role of haunted 19th century Englishman Jonathan Harker? Keanu Reeves!"

bgmnts

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 16, 2018, 08:52:57 PM
That must be what happens, yes. To use the example you cite, I just can't imagine Coppola saying to his associates, "You know who'd be perfect for the role of haunted 19th century Englishman Jonathan Harker? Keanu Reeves!"

Thankfully Keanu aced it and it was a triumph but some films arent that fortunate.

Famous Mortimer

Head Gardener

I picked up these 2 great, original mid 70's film festival posters at the car boot yesterday - £5 each!

Head Gardener

Quote from: Steven on June 16, 2018, 03:23:07 PM
So Mike Flanagan is directing a sequel to The Shining, preliminarily starring Ewan McGregor as Danny Torrance returning to The Overlook, based on King's Dr Sleep novel.

Are people angry at the mere premise and all ready to declare `Shit 4 Cuntz' or pleasantly looking forward to it?

"Here's Danny!"

I just hope they don't try to imply that this is a sequel to Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. At best it's a sequel to the terrible nineties TV movie.

mothman

Well, it's based on King's sequel novel, so it doesn't have to be either. So really the film has two options, either directly reference the look and unique elements of Kubrick's film (I wouldn't be surprised if they did, it's the kind of half-arsed bullshit you expect Hollywood to pull) or you go all out and do your own thing. Because who remembers or cares about the 90s version?

That said, didn't King not like the film? He'd likely have the inclination - and the power - to demand any adaptation of Dr. Sleep ignore Kubrick's version.

I think they'll try to have their cake and eat it. They know that "The Shining" means the Jack Nicholson film for at least 90 per cent of people.

In King's book the hotel explodes at the end. I bet they'll skirt around this and anything else that didn't happen in the Kubrick film. Like the living hedge animals/Dick Hallorann surviving. The only alternative is to include new "flashback" scenes and just go for an all-out reboot.

This'll be shit I reckon.

Avril Lavigne

The thing is, Dr. Sleep the novel is nothing like The Shining in any way, shape or form, so unless they're completely changing the plot, the antagonists and the supporting characters, the movie is never going to resemble 'The Shining 2'.  It might still be shit, but if they stick to the source material it'll be weird shit about astral projection and a teenage girl battling a travelling gang of white-trash psychic vampires.

Head Gardener

samadriel

Head Gardener

Never trust meme's found on Random blogs, or me, I smoke a pipe

Blumf

It might be the year the Vortex was created. Been a while, so I can't remember if it was explicitly mentioned.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 25, 2019, 09:52:13 AM
Never trust meme's found on Random blogs, or me, I smoke a pipe

Modern day philosophy just ain't what it used to be.

Glebe

SteveDave

fucking ponderous

Despite my disdain for Tarantino I'm strangely psyched for this. I think it's because there's never been a good Manson movie (would love to be corrected if there has been) and I haven't seen a proper epic movie in a theater in a while, as in an epic movie with a sprawling cast and large scale and themes, not a Marvel or Judd Apatow movie that's 2 1/2 hours long for no good reason.

St_Eddie

Quote from: fucking ponderous on March 07, 2019, 09:31:55 PM
Despite my disdain for Tarantino I'm strangely psyched for this. I think it's because there's never been a good Manson movie...

It's not really a Manson movie though.  It's far from centered around that.  It's only one aspect of a larger story.

Custard

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 22, 2018, 12:11:29 PM
I think they'll try to have their cake and eat it. They know that "The Shining" means the Jack Nicholson film for at least 90 per cent of people.

In King's book the hotel explodes at the end. I bet they'll skirt around this and anything else that didn't happen in the Kubrick film. Like the living hedge animals/Dick Hallorann surviving. The only alternative is to include new "flashback" scenes and just go for an all-out reboot.

This'll be shit I reckon.

And Danny will turn up on the same bike from the first film