Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:54:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Random scraps of movie news/rumours/trivia!

Started by Glebe, March 08, 2016, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Ban on smoking in movies 'infringes free speech', says MPAA.

Hmmm... that's an interesting one.

How Matt Damon Really Feels About Team America: World Police.

QuoteI was always kind of bewildered by Team America, I think because it's hard for us to understand what our images are in public, I think we're not good judges of that, and when I saw myself on screen just only able to say my own name and not really that well, I kind of wondered "Wow, is that how people perceive me?" At that point I just kind of was like, I'm a screenwriter and an actor, and like really? I can barely say my own name? So I was always bewildered by that, and I never talked to Trey and Matt about that. And incidentally, I believe those two are geniuses, and I don't use that word lightly. I think they are absolute geniuses, and what they've done is awesome and I'm a big fan of theirs, but I never quite understood that one. But I will say this. Those of us who were parodied in that video were parodied because we were against the Iraq war, and we went on the record against that War, and so history is on my side not theirs.

I don't think it was pro-war, though... a lot of the humour came from the gung-ho attitude of the team and their wanton destruction... American... fuck yeah!

NEW PAGE RANDOM SCRAPS.

Glebe

Trailer round-up:

Zhang Yimou's Matt Damon-starring The Great Wall.

Looks beautiful, if a little cliché-laden.

Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge.

Based on the life of conscientious objector Desmond Doss, apparently. Must of been a very brave and honourable man. The bit where he's shown batting away a grenade looks a bit cheesy, though.

Floyd Norman: An animated Life.

Looks interesting.

Christopher Gans' French, non-Disney Beauty and the Beast.

Nothing too original by the looks of it, but it looks like a visual feast.

The Meg Ryan-directed Ithica.

They're all directing now! Doesn't look particularly enthralling.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Glebe on July 21, 2016, 01:18:39 AM
How Matt Damon Really Feels About Team America: World Police.

I don't think it was pro-war, though... a lot of the humour came from the gung-ho attitude of the team and their wanton destruction... American... fuck yeah!

In Team America, yes I think it attacks both sides. But in South Park, leading up to the invasion of Iraq, the running joke was Saddam was definitely hiding all his WMDs and anyone who couldn't see that was an idiot. Maybe a lot of people thought it likely that whether Iraq should be invaded or not, Saddam probably had some WMDS hidden about. That turned out not to be the case, so that run of South Park could be said to have cheerleaded the Iraq War to an extent.

Glebe

Oh yeah, and a trailer for M. Night Shyamalan's latest, Split. Hopefully a return to form, but James McAvoy is gurning it up a storm there, so let's hope the cheese factor doesn't overwhelm.

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 29, 2016, 09:34:20 AMIn Team America, yes I think it attacks both sides. But in South Park, leading up to the invasion of Iraq, the running joke was Saddam was definitely hiding all his WMDs and anyone who couldn't see that was an idiot. Maybe a lot of people thought it likely that whether Iraq should be invaded or not, Saddam probably had some WMDS hidden about. That turned out not to be the case, so that run of South Park could be said to have cheerleaded the Iraq War to an extent.

Fair enough.

Glebe

Glebe

In 1983 Steven Spielberg gave a Japanese TV crew full access to his home, Amblin's offices, and the set of The Twilight Zone movie and now you can watch this incredible documentary in full!

Very interesting watch, that.

Oh yeah, and RIP Eric Bergren, who scripted The Elephant Man and who I must shamefacedly admit I hadn't consciously heard of.

Glebe

The Great Wall director addresses Matt Damon whitewashing controversy — exclusive.

QuoteIn many ways The Great Wall is the opposite of what is being suggested. For the first time, a film deeply rooted in Chinese culture, with one of the largest Chinese casts ever assembled, is being made at tent pole scale for a world audience. I believe that is a trend that should be embraced by our industry. Our film is not about the construction of the Great Wall. Matt Damon is not playing a role that was originally conceived for a Chinese actor. The arrival of his character in our story is an important plot point. There are five major heroes in our story and he is one of them — the other four are all Chinese. The collective struggle and sacrifice of these heroes are the emotional heart of our film. As the director of over 20 Chinese language films and the Beijing Olympics, I have not and will not cast a film in a way that was untrue to my artistic vision. I hope when everyone sees the film and is armed with the facts they will agree.

Okay, but Damon is the still the star. But on a more positive note:

With 'A Wrinkle In Time,' Ava DuVernay will pass a milestone.

QuoteIn Hollywood, there are few measures that connote a director's power greater than budget. This week, it became clear that Ava DuVernay has passed a power-player milestone, becoming the first woman of color to direct a live-action film with a production budget over $100 million, Disney's upcoming "A Wrinkle in Time."

Glebe

Arrival teaser.

Nice and mysterious, but I'm fully prepared for this to be a lot of cack.

Glebe

Glebe

'The Dark Knight' dominated the #fav7films hashtag on Twitter.

QuoteThe top 15

1. The Dark Knight: 5,056
2. Pulp Fiction: 4,966
3. Shawshank Redemption: 4,910
4. Empire Strikes Back: 4,772
5. The Godfather* (all films): 4,604
6. Goodfellas: 3,877
7. Alien* (all films): 3,730
8. Fight Club: 3,574
9. Harry Potter* (all films): 2,757
10. Jaws*: 2,622
11. Forrest Gump*: 2,530
12. Jurassic Park*: 2,356
13. Blade Runner: 1,862
14. The Big Lebowski: 1,860
15 Rocky* (all films): 1,807

No Lord of the Rings?

QuoteSuicide Squad saw more mentions than The Force Awakens

Hmmm...

Assassin's Creed | The Leap of Faith [HD] | 20th Century FOX.

Wow.

Zoom trailer.

Anyone heard about this? Reckon it could be any good?

Blumf

There's a film coming out about Monster Trucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQrj2M-2Uiw

Actual trucks that have monsters take over their internals like some kind of parasite. Except it's a family film and the monster is cute.

Actually looks okay, stupid, but okay. I'll probably never watch it.

Glebe

Quote from: Blumf on August 19, 2016, 01:29:58 PMThere's a film coming out about Monster Trucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQrj2M-2Uiw

Actual trucks that have monsters take over their internals like some kind of parasite. Except it's a family film and the monster is cute.

Actually looks okay, stupid, but okay. I'll probably never watch it.

Should have been a horror. Not bothered, mate.

Oh yeah, here's our first look at John Tuturro in his Big Lebowksi spin-off!

Glebe

See More Modern VHS Covers for 'Stranger Things', 'Ready Player One', 'Creed' & More.

Come on lads, bring back video... it's the vinyl of the film world![nb]Except not better quality.[/nb]

Glebe

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Glebe on August 23, 2016, 12:27:27 PM
See More Modern VHS Covers for 'Stranger Things', 'Ready Player One', 'Creed' & More.

Come on lads, bring back video... it's the vinyl of the film world![nb]Except not better quality.[/nb]

Apparently there's a cinema in Victorville, CA that only does VHS screenings. A lot of film production moving there.

Glebe

Jackie Chan, Frederick Wiseman to Receive Honorary Oscars.

Fair play, Jackie mate.

Ron Howard & Brian Grazer On The Beatles, 'Dark Tower' And 30 Years Together.

QuoteDEADLINE: There is a photo of a young Sigourney Weaver at a Beatles concert in the film. How in the world did you find that?

HOWARD: Paul Crowder, our editor, was sorting through all the fan footage, because the fans were very important to me. I kept saying I wanted to look at it from three perspectives: from inside the bubble and how The Beatles viewed the odyssey; outside, and what the social pressures were; and what they meant to fans of that era. We began searching and searching and found this footage and we literally blew it up and he said, "I think that's Sigourney Weaver." We asked. Lo and behold, we were told yes and she did an interview. Whoopi Goldberg came about because I was going on The View. I've known her for years and she asked what else I was doing and I told her and she told this story about how she'd seen them and it made me emotional and I told her I'd like to put a camera on her at some point. It all grew out of wanting to look at a phenomenon from three perspectives.

MIND BLOWN.

Glebe

Alexis Arquette, transgender sibling of the Arquette clan, has died aged 47. He/she was best known for playing the Boy George guy in The Wedding Singer, and appeared in other films such as Last Exit to Brooklyn, Pulp Fiction and Bride of Chucky.

Glebe

Paul Verhoeven on His Twisted Dark Comedy 'Elle' and What the 'Robocop' Reboot Got Wrong.

QuoteAt this point aside from Showgirls all of your Hollywood movies have sequels or remakes or both. I always wondered if you watch them and what you think about them?

VERHOEVEN: Oh sure, I watch them. Somehow they seem to think that the lightness of say Total Recall and Robocop is a hindrance. So they take these somewhat absurd stories and make them much too serious. I think that is a mistake. Especially in Robocop when he awakens they gave him the same brain. He's a horribly injured and amputated victim, which is horrifying and tragic from the very beginning. So we didn't do that in Robocop. His brain is gone and he has only flashes of memory and needs to go to a computer to find out who he even is. I think by not having a robot brain, you make the movie much heavier and I don't think that helps the movie in anyway. It becomes more silly or absurd, but in the wrong way. Both those movies needed the distance of satire or comedy to situate it for audiences. Playing it straight without any humour is a problem and not an improvement.

Well, that's why I miss you making those sorts of movies. No one else even tries to do that sort of thing.

VERHOEVEN: It's interesting, I just heard that they want to...when I did Robocop they immediately wanted to do a sequel the next year. This was Orion who went bankrupt, but that's ok. So I was interested. In the United States they make sequels. I get it. So myself and Michael Miner started working on ideas. We were really thinking about it because I feel a sequel has to go further. I think one of the best sequels is Star Wars 2, probably. That is a sequel that's good. Normally they aren't good because it's so difficult to find that inspiration. So I really wanted to take some time and develop something that deserved to exist and was different. But Orion didn't want to wait, so they used other people. But I just heard that MGM was thinking of picking up the ideas that we were working on in '87 (Laughs). I don't know if they'll do it, but they are talking about it.

I still haven't seen the Robocop remake. And I probably never will.

Sam

GLEBE TO STAR IN NEW STUDIO GLEBEY FILM

QuoteHollywood heart throb and cattle prod repair-woman Glebe Gleberton is to star in Glebe - A tale of woe, the last film made by Hey-o! Meayaksee before he fell off a quayside. The stout Irishman was heard muttering about Yen near an ailing takeaway.  Neighbours spoke of the reclusive bovine beauty leaving his conservatory to bound around in the garden with great gaiety.
"He was knocking over sunflower pots left right and centre, if you please, squawking about his role as a magic vole. Clive had to shut the windows." Later reports of the starlet having sex with a bin through a slot have yet to be verified.

Glebe

Quote from: Sam on September 15, 2016, 08:05:12 PMGLEBE TO STAR IN NEW STUDIO GLEBEY FILM

Hollywood heart throb and cattle prod repair-woman Glebe Arbuthnot Braithwaite Gleberton III is to star in Glebe - A tale of woe, the last film made by Hey-o! Meayaksee before he fell off a quayside (in Dorset). The extremely stout Irishman was heard muttering about Yen near an ailing takeaway (The Golden Tiger, allegedly).  Neighbours (Barry and Ada Grimshaw) spoke of the reclusive bovine beauty leaving his conservatory to bound around in the garden with great gaiety.
"He was knocking over sunflower pots left right and centre, if you please, squawking about his role as a magic vole. Clive (our dog) had to shut the windows." Later reports of the starlet having sex with a bin through a slot have yet to be verified [THEY HAVE BEEN VERIFIED].