Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:06:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Superior

https://audioboom.com/channel/athletico-mince

New football podcast from Bob Mortimer with apparently the fella who does Get In The Sea.

3 episodes so far. I'm working through the first and it's full of quality Bob moments.

Anyone listening?

Mobius

Yeah I like it. Nice languid pace, no frills. No idea who the other bloke is but Bob's his usual brilliant self.

DeGrise

Listened to the first one. Thoroughly enjoyed it, although I always enjoy a comedic reference to lobsters.

Haven't found time to listen to two and three yet.

I will keep you updated.

pandadeath

Listening to the first episode now and it's great but you can hear Bob smoking at times, it's worrying that he still smokes considering his heart surgery. Stop smoking Bob!

Ron Superior

I'm pretty sure it sounded to me like a vape pen. I certainly hope so.

His stories of his various runins with footballers were all great. It does sound fun to be Bob.

Paaaaul

It definitely sounds like a vape pen rather than fags.
I listened to the first one and thought it was dreadful. I'll give it another go though.

Started off a little bit shaky but it's improved as each episode has passed. The other guy Andy Dawson is a good foil for Bob's stuff.

Ron Superior

Yes, by the latest episode it's really found its stride.

I think the first few episodes, Bob actually seemed pretty anxious about whether it was going well, cutting bits short, questioning whether planned bits would be good, but it seems he's relaxed in to it and it's all the better for it.

amnesiac

Do you need to know or even like football to enjoy this? are there lots of references to names of players? do you need to know about the 'race for the title of the Premier'? the only thing I know is that Leicester are going to win it against all odds and with the backing of a multimillionaire sponsor and broke the FA rules on spending/debt through a series of dodgy deals i.e. a real fairytale story.

Paaaaul

Quote from: amnesiac on April 18, 2016, 10:10:35 AM
Do you need to know or even like football to enjoy this? are there lots of references to names of players? do you need to know about the 'race for the title of the Premier'? the only thing I know is that Leicester are going to win it against all odds and with the backing of a multimillionaire sponsor and broke the FA rules on spending/debt through a series of dodgy deals i.e. a real fairytale story.

They boast of a 4% football content, and that's about right. You may need to Google the names of historic Middlesbrough players that Bob met once.

Ron Superior

Quote from: amnesiac on April 18, 2016, 10:10:35 AM
Do you need to know or even like football to enjoy this?

Nope.  I know nothing about football.  They do talk about football a good bit, but usually with their Own Sideways View on things.

great_badir

You need to know as much about football to enjoy this as you do American sports to enjoy Baseketball.  Nothing.

DeGrise

I think it's more important to have a keen interest in denim.

iamcoop

These have quickly become a must listen for me. Now they've settled on a nice dynamic they're becoming very funny. The best bits for me are usually the non football stories like Bob exposing himself infront of the Treaty of Versailles and their ongoing fascination for denim. I guess it would help to know a bit about football but their references tend to be obscure players from north east clubs which is where the humour comes from I guess.

The whole
Spoiler alert
"Don't worry little guy, I was shit"
[close]
bit from Bobs "salsa dancing with the Brazilian footballer Emerson" story really made me laugh.

Viero_Berlotti

Like Mid Morning Matters is great because it's Alan just being Alan, this podcast is great because it's just Bob being Bob. I love how the 'wondering what Steve McClaren is up to' is becoming a regular feature.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on April 18, 2016, 08:51:01 PM
Like Mid Morning Matters is great because it's Alan just being Alan, this podcast is great because it's just Bob being Bob. I love how the 'wondering what Steve McClaren is up to' is becoming a regular feature.
It's a "What's on the end of your stick, Vic?" for the millennials.

Parkin

Hearing Bob Mortimer say footballers' names slightly wrong is such an utter joy.

Crabwalk

The way Bob thinks is just magical. The little turns of phrase he effortlessly comes out with in the middle of a seemingly mundane chat are wonderful.

Quote from: Parkin on April 19, 2016, 06:20:25 PM
Hearing Bob Mortimer say footballers' names slightly wrong is such an utter joy.

The way he pronounced Fabricio Coloccini recently was hilarious, and one of the few times he's cracked up on this. That made me guffaw very loudly.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Anyone else still listening to this? Im still enjoying it a lot, especially since it's become much less about football and more about Bob's run-ins with
Spoiler alert
the Alderman
[close]
and observational comedy about
Spoiler alert
brass hands.
[close]

Blinder Data

I am enjoying this whenever I listen to it. Bob's ramblings are a joy - the other guy, not so much. Maybe that's because I'm such a fan of Bob pretty much anything he says makes me laugh. His observational comedy and songs are brilliant.

Quite a lot of chaff though. I might edit together some best bits and put it on YouTube.

Two Headed Sex Beast

Quote from: Blinder Data on July 29, 2016, 12:34:22 PM
I am enjoying this whenever I listen to it. Bob's ramblings are a joy - the other guy, not so much. Maybe that's because I'm such a fan of Bob pretty much anything he says makes me laugh. His observational comedy and songs are brilliant.

The swearing in the upbeat song about
Spoiler alert
Steve McLaren's shirts
[close]
had me on the floor. The Scottish song on the most recent ep is like an epic saga.

Viero_Berlotti

It's a mixed bag and some of the 'features' are getting tiresome now. I will still listen to it though just for the snippets of Mortimer genius therein.

The Good:

The Alderman Tales
Steve McClaren, The Big Lass and the Corn Snake
Consumer Product Advice
Bob's general anecdote's and stories

The Bad:

Memory man
Millionaire questions
Observational Comedy ('have you ever noticed?' it's just too close to Coogan's Duncan Thicket)
Most of Andy's contributions

hedgehog90

Nothing makes me giggle more than Bob's observational club comic with the brass hand.
Considering him and Vic are doing a sketch show next, I'd love to see this character in a series of  R&M sketches.

I haven't seen Steve Coogan's apparently similar character, but I'm guessing he just sounds a bit similar to Bob's.
To state the obvious - the brass hand is the key element to what makes it so funny, not the Bernard Manning like delivery, it seems a shame that you overlooked it, Viero_Berlotti.

Quote from: Crabwalk on April 19, 2016, 08:48:48 PM
The way Bob thinks is just magical. The little turns of phrase he effortlessly comes out with in the middle of a seemingly mundane chat are wonderful.

Ditto. My thoughts exactly.

hedgehog90

I think perhaps my favourite bit of Bob's was when Steve McLaren's spewing snake got inside a vending machine.
Tbh I can't remember much more than that, but I remember laughing quite a lot :)

Ron Superior

Yep, still really enjoying this a lot.

They've basically completely abandoned the football aspect apart from Steve, the Big Lass and the todding snake.

Love Bob's songs.
Spoiler alert
Bright Lights, Bright Fucking Music
[close]
could be a disco hit.

Just nice to visit Bob's brain for an hour a week.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on July 29, 2016, 01:34:30 PM
The Good:

Bob

The Bad:

Andy

More or less. That's a bit harsh, but this comedy character of an overly harsh friend is just not funny and often a bit irritating and dull (the "Bob, as a millionaire etc." stuff has hopefully stopped now because fuck it was a dead end, and his observational comedy bits are awful.)  If he just gave it up and accepted a role as a straight man, there to prompt and laugh in response to Bob, it'd be much better.  All the best stuff - the songs, the initial brass hand stand-up, the jambon problem - is just Bob running free.

DrGreggles

I love the whole glorious thing.

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 29, 2016, 10:50:15 PM
I love the whole glorious thing.

I think it's fantastic, both Bob and Andy are great. Just wish I'd got into it before their live show in September had sold out.

DrGreggles

iamcoop

Andy can genuinely be funny sometimes, and I've no doubt Bob genuinely finds him funny but his flights of fancy can sometimes be a bit of a struggle. He's a very good "salt of the earth" style straight man, and I think it works best when he goes down this route and just leaves the surreal stuff to Bob (does anyone do it better?)

I love it all, although I do struggle with the observational section at times, even bob's brass hand. The millionaire stuff is tired too I think.

But what do I know? I would happily listen to Bob just talking about steam irons, separate grill tops and fridge freezers for hours and be happy. He really is a man that could read the phone book out and have me giggling like a madman.

On a seperate note, not sure who would be interested as it ran its course ages ago but Andy is doing a Get in the sea reading at the stand for any northeast verbwhores. I'll probably go as its cheap and down the road from me although it's mainly in the desperate hope he mentions how Casper is getting on.