Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:03:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Just for the record, I found Andy so shit (and such a colossal twat on the internet) that I gave up listening at about episode 20. And I'd been in from the start, singing the show's praises here and elsewhere. He just started overpowering the whole thing with his awfulness.

I'm aware I've missed out on tons of Bob brilliance as a result. Which just makes me dislike Dawson more.

Edit: Just found this on page two of the thread.

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 28, 2016, 08:06:35 PM
Andy needs to stop trying to match Bob's stories. His attempts with the likes of the Corbyn bits look awfully weak by comparison. He's fine when they're both sparring but he needs to be more a facilitator figure for Bob'a genius than positioned as any kind of equal in a double act.

phantom_power

I think he is quite popular in "the real world". He has plenty of fans on Twitter and that other Bobless podcast he does gets a lot of listeners

dunelm

Quote from: phantom_power on June 20, 2019, 01:46:20 PM
I think he is quite popular in "the real world". He has plenty of fans on Twitter and that other Bobless podcast he does gets a lot of listeners

He's not trying to do scripted comedy though on those, which he clearly can't. This is the problem, writing.

SteveDave

I thought Bob's Sweden story was going to be what Andy thought it was going to be too.

gmoney

Do we reckon Bob's actually ever been to South Africa?

bgmnts

Quote from: gmoney on June 21, 2019, 10:27:53 PM
Do we reckon Bob's actually ever been to South Africa?

You bet, blue!

kidney

'if I see a tan, I'll thrash that man'

thugler

Andy is not that bad, I don't particularly like him but he doesn't do that many bits and he doesn't dominate proceedings. He's not as good as bob, but who is.

Genuinely do people despair that much at his bits? They are sometimes okay, sometimes shit. He's also done the odd good bit, I like slaughters, the new age guy and even the corbyn bits aren't that bad.

Replies From View

Quote from: thugler on June 21, 2019, 11:58:13 PM
Andy is not that bad, I don't particularly like him but he doesn't do that many bits and he doesn't dominate proceedings. He's not as good as bob, but who is.

Genuinely do people despair that much at his bits? They are sometimes okay, sometimes shit. He's also done the odd good bit, I like slaughters, the new age guy and even the corbyn bits aren't that bad.

I honestly hate everything he does.  What he does is take a podcast with Bob Mortimer in it and make it largely unlistenable, which is an extraordinary feat of subtraction.  It means that he is more dreadful than Bob Mortimer is great.

sponk

I've listened to about 45 episodes, some twice, and Andy has never made me laugh

McFlymo

His corpsing over Bob's bits sometimes makes me smile, in a warm hearted "aww it's two mates just having a laugh with themselves" sort of way.

Andy's general chat is ok. I genuinely love hear him laugh at Bob too.

His own sketches I've learned to just skip past. The Bananarama stuff was absolutely brutal. Vince Parsnips, Corbyn...both unlistenable. As soon as he chirps in with 'Seen You' I fucking wince. Surely Bob can't actually find them funny.

phantom_power

Corbyn was quite amusing as a one off, but he pretty much repeats the same thing over and over with no escalation, deviation or any sort of reason to do it more than once

dunelm

Andy can't write. This is what we've learned.

TBF in the latest parsnips he does a reasonable job performing Slaughters with multiple voices, but again he's just delivering Bob's material.

It's the comic mismatch of recent times, which is why it's soo jarring.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: McFlymo on June 22, 2019, 01:35:49 AM
His corpsing over Bob's bits sometimes makes me smile, in a warm hearted "aww it's two mates just having a laugh with themselves" sort of way.

Yes. Andy's corpsing tends to trigger the joy of hearing Bob's high-pitched giggle. He makes an actual 'hee hee' sound, it's lovely.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: phantom_power on June 22, 2019, 07:55:49 AM
Corbyn was quite amusing as a one off, but he pretty much repeats the same thing over and over with no escalation, deviation or any sort of reason to do it more than once

Yes, much like the South Africa stories, which are brilliant.

The comic tension in the air when one of Bob's everyday anecdotes threatens, at any moment, to become a South African gangbanger story is one of life's greatest pleasures.

alan nagsworth

It was really cute on the Buxton podcast when Paul Whitehouse remarked how he twigged early on that one of Bob's bits would be a South African story. Much as I understand and overanalyse the dynamics of comedy, there's something about hearing one comedy genius talk fondly and anecdotally about another that swells me up with joy.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 22, 2019, 10:10:35 AM
It was really cute on the Buxton podcast when Paul Whitehouse remarked how he twigged early on that one of Bob's bits would be a South African story.

"Oooh, there'll be something going up his anus in a minute!"

sponk

Biggytitbo or Paulie Walnuts should show up in this thread and tell everyone that Bob is shite and Andy is the only reason AM works. That's the kind of contrarian trolling I could really respect.

Twed

Shut your cunt mouth

phantom_power

Quote from: alan nagsworth on June 22, 2019, 09:53:23 AM
Yes, much like the South Africa stories, which are brilliant.

Do you mean there is no escalation or deviation? Because there is

DrGreggles

New BenPics vid up on Parsnips.

I've just watched the Mince Live in London 2017 video for the first time. There's a great moment when Andy mentions James Corden and Bob says, with tremendous venom, "James Corden is a cunt." He's not joking, it's obviously his actual opinion. That heartfelt sentiment is somehow more satisfying coming from cuddly funster Bob Mortimer than from the permanently disdainful Stewart Lee. It's so unexpected.

Mind you, Bob's impression of Dara O'Briain is brutal isn't it? He usually manages to imbue his characters with a certain degree of warmth, but the sole joke there is is that O'Briain is a shit comic who makes that fucking annoying "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr" sound all the time.

I'm pretty sure there's been a thread about this, but you hardly ever hear comedians taking the piss out of fellow pros in public, do you? I'm all for it.

Twed

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 25, 2019, 06:26:36 PM
I've just watched the Mince Live in London 2017 video for the first time. There's a great moment when Andy mentions James Corden and Bob says, with tremendous venom, "James Corden is a cunt." He's not joking, it's obviously his actual opinion. That heartfelt sentiment is somehow more satisfying coming from cuddly funster Bob Mortimer than from the permanently disdainful Stewart Lee. It's so unexpected.
In one of the first episodes (maybe the first) Bob mentions how Corden could be a cunt. Maybe he thought he is one, but was editing himself for the podcast.

The live show cunt-calling might be a callback to that, but I think the most likely explanation is that Bob does hate the cunt James Corden.

Yes, I just don't think Bob would say that about someone if he didn't actually mean it.

sponk

In one of Bob's Vines he had what I thought was a quite vicious dig at Corden. Probably still on YouTube.

magval

He also says in one of Andy's What's Behind The Door bits that he wouldn't want to breathe the same air as James Corden.

alan nagsworth

Think about it, though, has James Corden ever been anything but a cunt?

magval

Well, at one stage he was just an actor, and reasonably likeable in things like Starter for Ten if I remember right?

Do I?

Am I the cunt?