Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sponk

Quote from: magval on June 25, 2019, 08:57:09 PM
Well, at one stage he was just an actor, and reasonably likeable in things like Starter for Ten if I remember right?

Do I?

Am I the cunt?
I didn't send him a death threat after Cruise of the Gods so he must have been at least tolerable in that

trabuch

Bob is a beeautiful and funny man. It's awful that a thread about his work descends into who is the biggest cunt. I nominate myself.

Captain Z

Ask me my best Andy criticisms - go on!

Not keen on many of the items at the moment. Alderman and Slaughters have never done anything for me. The price quiz was tolerable in Bob's hands but less so now Andy has commandeered it. New Vardy thing is amusing but I'm yet to buy into it. Only really laughed at Phil Jones' "thank you!".

bgmnts

Quote from: Captain Z on June 26, 2019, 01:13:54 AM

Not keen on many of the items at the moment. Alderman and Slaughters have never done anything for me. The price quiz was tolerable in Bob's hands but less so now Andy has commandeered it. New Vardy thing is amusing but I'm yet to buy into it. Only really laughed at Phil Jones' "thank you!".

No words.

phantom_power

My only problem with the Alderman is that his voice seems to have changed. Loving the new Crime Files bit. The nonsense potter is another great new characters. And the man looking around the footballer's houses bit is great as well

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on June 26, 2019, 06:27:00 AM
My only problem with the Alderman is that his voice seems to have changed. Loving the new Crime Files bit. The nonsense potter is another great new characters. And the man looking around the footballer's houses bit is great as well

This is even funnier since I've been made aware that it's based on a real presenter.

The voice suits him perfectly!

sutin

Quote from: Captain Z on June 26, 2019, 01:13:54 AM

I'm also speechless. I only have to think of the Alderman or especially Slaughters to be proper crying with laughter.

sutin

Quote from: phantom_power on June 26, 2019, 06:27:00 AM

Yes, the change in the Alderman's voice was disappointing to me too.

Quote from: sutin on June 26, 2019, 10:40:10 AM
I'm also speechless. I only have to think of the Alderman or especially Slaughters to be proper crying with laughter.
I thought the first Slaughters was hysterical. It hasn't made me laugh since though. Just more of the same.

sutin

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on June 26, 2019, 10:46:41 AM
I thought the first Slaughters was hysterical. It hasn't made me laugh since though. Just more of the same.

I actually thought it took a couple to get hysterical. The first Ron Craggs one was incredible.

DrGreggles

Yes, of course the Craggs.

dunelm

Found first Slaughters brilliant. Been really diminishing returns since then. Seems too formulaic.

I think if you don't like Alderman you're probably never going to find Bob funny.

Just going back and re-listening to old Mince. I love how Bob starts doing John John Shelvey as a Cockney then stops himself, mid-flow, and turns him into a vampire.

Like so much of Bob's brilliance, it makes no sense and perfect sense at the same time.

SteveDave

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on June 28, 2019, 02:51:38 PM
Just going back and re-listening to old Mince. I love how Bob starts doing JonJo Shelvey as a Cockney then stops himself, mid-flow, and turns him into a vampire.

I've just looked him up (having no idea what he looks like) and he's totally bald from alopecia due to falling down a staircase as a baby and other "childhood trauma". Hmmm. Bob Mortimer is #cancelled.

Chollis

He's bald from alopecia totalis, an auto-immune thingy. Similar to Matt Lucas

petril

Quote from: Chollis on June 28, 2019, 03:25:37 PM
He's bald from alopecia totalis, an auto-immune thingy. Similar to Matt Lucas

and the patron saint of the condition, Duncan Goodhew

GentleJoshing

Started a re-listen to Mince back catalogue from episode one recently. Weighing in on above debates I think it's glorious how the Alderman evolved from a generic fat bloke with no discernable voice, to being the plummy toned, tight-slacked administrator we know and love. It's great to hear Bob feeling around an idea until he nails it. Just the idea of a short sleeve, comfort fit shirt from BHS on a premier league manager is wonderful. Also Bob never seems overly snidey, even when talking about Sunderland or tinned beef burgers. What a beautiful man. It is a shame that when listening back to these Andy's scripted bits are so dire as to require skipping, worse even than the adverts.

magval

Quote from: petrilTanaka on June 28, 2019, 07:23:03 PM
and the patron saint of the condition, Duncan Goodhew

From the twin worlds of swimming and no hair.

Quote from: SteveDave on June 28, 2019, 02:59:49 PM
I've just looked him up (having no idea what he looks like) and he's totally bald from alopecia due to falling down a staircase as a baby and other "childhood trauma". Hmmm. Bob Mortimer is #cancelled.

Bob calls him 'John John' throughout the bit. Part of the charm is Bob getting all the names slightly wrong.

DrGreggles

Are vampires famously bald then?
You'll be saying Mark Rashford isn't a real Southern Belle next!

Anyway, "This is a shit onion."

bgmnts

Nosferatu is probably the second most famous vampire (maybe not now, fuckin' Twilight) and he's bald.

DrGreggles

Never heard of him, so he's below Ray Reardon is the pecking order.

petril

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 29, 2019, 05:44:41 PM
Never heard of him, so he's below Ray Reardon is the pecking order.

you don't remember him doing betting tips? MONTHTA MONTHTA MONTHTA

Twed

Been listening to lots of old Mince.

Something wonderful I noticed about Bob is how little he relies on his comedy history. He just doesn't draw from past work often, his material is fresh and doesn't trade on his reputation or nostalgia.

bgmnts

Rodney Plonker is a direct rip from Catterick no?

Twed

Obviously he's going to say some things he has said before in previous things, but it really does not make up much of the content and it's never done just to reference himself. If anything it works better if people have forgotten it was used before.

Twed

I immediately went and listened to the next episode of Mince only to hear Bob song all of Trapped In My Flat from Smell Of.

dunelm

Quote from: Twed on June 30, 2019, 04:10:22 AM
I immediately went and listened to the next episode of Mince only to hear Bob song all of Trapped In My Flat from Smell Of.

Which Mince song sounds like Trapped In My Flat?

Twed

The song "Trapped In My Flat".

https://athleticomince.com/2016/07/31/episode-13-bobfest-revealed/ 38 minutes in

Hardly a transgression, just funny to come across this right after I said he never does it.

dunelm

Quote from: Twed on June 30, 2019, 07:13:48 AM
The song "Trapped In My Flat".

https://athleticomince.com/2016/07/31/episode-13-bobfest-revealed/ 38 minutes in

Hardly a transgression, just funny to come across this right after I said he never does it.

He literally just redid the exact same bit. First time I've seen him do that. Always enjoyed that song, Vic at the end, 'If you do get trapped in your flat, try not to get trapped in your flat'.