Author Topic: Athletico Mince  (Read 108947 times)

Re: Athletico Mince
« Reply #1080 on: July 01, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
If you look in the credits for the Countryfile spoof in Smell of.. one of them is "Crab with brass hand." I think he just finds certain things really funny and likes to say them for a laugh.

the

« Reply #1081 on: July 01, 2019, 03:08:04 PM »
Japery involving brass hands was also mentioned by Vic in the R&M Omnibus documentary from 1997.

« Reply #1082 on: July 01, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
He also reused the song he wrote for Taskmaster. There are definitely a few bits and pieces here and the there but it's not like anyone's about to accuse him of laziness.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #1083 on: July 01, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »
There was also the time on Would I Lie To You he referred to a kid with a big head as “a sniper’s dream” - seemed a great ad-lib but it later appeared on the new Big Night Out which was presumably filmed a bit before.

Not complaining or owt.

Captain Z

• Oh yeah my cholesterol's going down
« Reply #1084 on: July 01, 2019, 04:04:00 PM »
I think 'sniper's dream' popped up once on AM too.

« Reply #1085 on: July 01, 2019, 06:28:24 PM »
There was also the time on Would I Lie To You he referred to a kid with a big head as “a sniper’s dream” - seemed a great ad-lib but it later appeared on the new Big Night Out which was presumably filmed a bit before.

Not complaining or owt.

The WILTY performance predated BNO by a few years.

« Reply #1086 on: July 01, 2019, 07:06:33 PM »
The Sean Dyche song was brilliant today.

« Reply #1087 on: July 01, 2019, 07:10:17 PM »
The Sean Dyche song was brilliant today.

I went from "not sure about this" to "actually this is pretty good" to "this is fucking brilliant" during it.

non capisco

• A+ in arson class
« Reply #1088 on: July 01, 2019, 07:53:27 PM »
A belting episode all round. The bleak Beardsley tale, Mark Lawrenson and Steve McLaren, the Sean Dyche "song" and Crime Files all really made me laugh. Hell, even Roy Hodgson was quite funny this week.

the

« Reply #1089 on: July 02, 2019, 01:03:03 AM »
Since Acast have fucked around with how they host the podcast file, I'm having to grab it using a different method, and I'm hearing adverts for the first time (which has made me realise why the sting sometimes plays twice in a row). But worse than that, this new episode is now half the bitrate and in mono.

« Reply #1090 on: July 02, 2019, 06:30:53 AM »
I went from "not sure about this" to "actually this is pretty good" to "this is fucking brilliant" during it.

I love the cheap, queasy synth sound on it, as well as the lyrics obviously. If you don't spew up, we won't win the cup

« Reply #1091 on: July 03, 2019, 12:47:15 PM »
Really great episode. I love the nonsense potter’s voice. I don’t know how he comes up with so many unique voices.

Dyche song was top class. The chirping bit of synth when it kicked in was brilliant.

gmoney

• Hug a jug of wine
« Reply #1092 on: July 03, 2019, 06:28:37 PM »
I've listened to Bob's appearance on Richard Herring's podcast and his couple of Buxton ones and cherish them dearly. Does anyone know of any other ones he's done?

« Reply #1093 on: July 04, 2019, 08:34:35 AM »
I've listened to Bob's appearance on Richard Herring's podcast and his couple of Buxton ones and cherish them dearly. Does anyone know of any other ones he's done?

There's a Desert Island Discs podcast with him, and his Chain Reaction episodes on BBC Sounds too with Reece Shearsmith and Vic.

« Reply #1094 on: July 05, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »
The brass hand bit goes back to Vic and his mates wandering round the streets of Darlington. I seem to remember Bob using it in an advert for a bank (?)

Twed

• I need you so, Medieval Zone, you don't need me
« Reply #1095 on: July 05, 2019, 01:15:18 PM »
It seems he has repurposed it to specifically mean something very singular that the observational comedian character in Mince puts in every joke as if it's something everybody relates to (unless that is how it was used before, which seems unlikely)

« Reply #1096 on: July 12, 2019, 01:05:14 PM »
Have been listening back to some old ones of these, and they really hit their stride on the early 50s episodes. Currently on 58, but the quality is sky high from about #50. We've got the beginnings of Beardsley, culminating in the episodes where his wife starts to take shape and Peter starts to read from his joke book; the British managers lunch club; Sunderland songs; Mick McCarthy starting to appear...

I'm tempted to say 55 - Mouse on the bonnet - is the best of the bunch. Beardsley fretting about the ginger cat and the Albanian fella moving the soil, and if not the first jokes, maybe the best - Goldfish, two school bags, booking at the gym, Batman Forever, buying a kettle. Lots of corpsing throughout.

I recall a bit of a dip in quality in the 60s , though there's a chance I just wasn't paying attention. Won't be long for me to find out.

« Reply #1097 on: July 13, 2019, 08:43:51 PM »
Anyone listened to the Gone Fishin audio book? It doesn't have Andy Dawson on so I don't know if I'll bother.

« Reply #1098 on: July 13, 2019, 11:36:40 PM »
Anyone listened to the Gone Fishin audio book? It doesn't have Andy Dawson on so I don't know if I'll bother.

Yes, enjoyed it despite no interest in fishing.

« Reply #1099 on: July 15, 2019, 10:19:28 PM »
New Mince tomorrow for Club Parsnips members!

« Reply #1100 on: July 16, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
Ha ha! Even the intro to that Sean Dyche motivational song made me roar!

Effort without guile,
Endeavour without pleasure.
Nothing fancy, nothing girly,
If you're that way inclined, have a Curly Wurly.

« Reply #1101 on: July 17, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »
New Mince tomorrow for Club Parsnips members!

For once, I thought it was a pretty poor episode. Don’t know what was going on with the Dyche song. Bob missed pretty much every note. The only saving grace was Mark Hughes who was utterly brilliant.

non capisco

• A+ in arson class
« Reply #1102 on: Yesterday at 01:26:55 PM »
And this bit from the Gangs of the ELP segment when they were playing charades.

HARRY KANE mimes operating a film camera
JORDAN HENDERSON: “Food mixer!”