Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

If you look in the credits for the Countryfile spoof in Smell of.. one of them is "Crab with brass hand." I think he just finds certain things really funny and likes to say them for a laugh.

the

Japery involving brass hands was also mentioned by Vic in the R&M Omnibus documentary from 1997.

jimboslice

He also reused the song he wrote for Taskmaster. There are definitely a few bits and pieces here and the there but it's not like anyone's about to accuse him of laziness.

Replies From View

There was also the time on Would I Lie To You he referred to a kid with a big head as "a sniper's dream" - seemed a great ad-lib but it later appeared on the new Big Night Out which was presumably filmed a bit before.

Not complaining or owt.

Captain Z

I think 'sniper's dream' popped up once on AM too.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on July 01, 2019, 04:01:35 PM
There was also the time on Would I Lie To You he referred to a kid with a big head as "a sniper's dream" - seemed a great ad-lib but it later appeared on the new Big Night Out which was presumably filmed a bit before.

Not complaining or owt.

The WILTY performance predated BNO by a few years.

bgmnts

The Sean Dyche song was brilliant today.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on July 01, 2019, 07:06:33 PM
The Sean Dyche song was brilliant today.

I went from "not sure about this" to "actually this is pretty good" to "this is fucking brilliant" during it.

non capisco

A belting episode all round. The bleak Beardsley tale, Mark Lawrenson and Steve McLaren, the Sean Dyche "song" and Crime Files all really made me laugh. Hell, even Roy Hodgson was quite funny this week.

the

Since Acast have fucked around with how they host the podcast file, I'm having to grab it using a different method, and I'm hearing adverts for the first time (which has made me realise why the sting sometimes plays twice in a row). But worse than that, this new episode is now half the bitrate and in mono.

phantom_power

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 01, 2019, 07:10:17 PM
I went from "not sure about this" to "actually this is pretty good" to "this is fucking brilliant" during it.

I love the cheap, queasy synth sound on it, as well as the lyrics obviously. If you don't spew up, we won't win the cup

Really great episode. I love the nonsense potter's voice. I don't know how he comes up with so many unique voices.

Dyche song was top class. The chirping bit of synth when it kicked in was brilliant.

gmoney

I've listened to Bob's appearance on Richard Herring's podcast and his couple of Buxton ones and cherish them dearly. Does anyone know of any other ones he's done?

jimboslice

Quote from: gmoney on July 03, 2019, 06:28:37 PM
I've listened to Bob's appearance on Richard Herring's podcast and his couple of Buxton ones and cherish them dearly. Does anyone know of any other ones he's done?

There's a Desert Island Discs podcast with him, and his Chain Reaction episodes on BBC Sounds too with Reece Shearsmith and Vic.

poodlefaker

The brass hand bit goes back to Vic and his mates wandering round the streets of Darlington. I seem to remember Bob using it in an advert for a bank (?)

Twed

It seems he has repurposed it to specifically mean something very singular that the observational comedian character in Mince puts in every joke as if it's something everybody relates to (unless that is how it was used before, which seems unlikely)

Have been listening back to some old ones of these, and they really hit their stride on the early 50s episodes. Currently on 58, but the quality is sky high from about #50. We've got the beginnings of Beardsley, culminating in the episodes where his wife starts to take shape and Peter starts to read from his joke book; the British managers lunch club; Sunderland songs; Mick McCarthy starting to appear...

I'm tempted to say 55 - Mouse on the bonnet - is the best of the bunch. Beardsley fretting about the ginger cat and the Albanian fella moving the soil, and if not the first jokes, maybe the best - Goldfish, two school bags, booking at the gym, Batman Forever, buying a kettle. Lots of corpsing throughout.

I recall a bit of a dip in quality in the 60s , though there's a chance I just wasn't paying attention. Won't be long for me to find out.

sponk

Anyone listened to the Gone Fishin audio book? It doesn't have Andy Dawson on so I don't know if I'll bother.

thugler

Quote from: sponk on July 13, 2019, 08:43:51 PM
Anyone listened to the Gone Fishin audio book? It doesn't have Andy Dawson on so I don't know if I'll bother.

Yes, enjoyed it despite no interest in fishing.

DrGreggles

New Mince tomorrow for Club Parsnips members!

Pseudopath

Ha ha! Even the intro to that Sean Dyche motivational song made me roar!

QuoteEffort without guile,
Endeavour without pleasure.
Nothing fancy, nothing girly,
If you're that way inclined, have a Curly Wurly.

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 15, 2019, 10:19:28 PM
New Mince tomorrow for Club Parsnips members!

For once, I thought it was a pretty poor episode. Don't know what was going on with the Dyche song. Bob missed pretty much every note. The only saving grace was Mark Hughes who was utterly brilliant.

non capisco

And this bit from the Gangs of the ELP segment when they were playing charades.

HARRY KANE mimes operating a film camera
JORDAN HENDERSON: "Food mixer!"

phantom_power

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on July 17, 2019, 08:24:45 AM
For once, I thought it was a pretty poor episode. Don't know what was going on with the Dyche song. Bob missed pretty much every note. The only saving grace was Mark Hughes who was utterly brilliant.

The Dyche song was fucking amazing, partly because it was so ramshackle

dunelm

Quote from: phantom_power on July 22, 2019, 08:33:34 PM
The Dyche song was fucking amazing, partly because it was so ramshackle

He obviously kept that take and didn't redo it because he thought it was funny. The episodes ebb and flow as you'd expect. For me there's always laughs each one, occasionally you'll get something sublime from Bob. Actually more than occasionally.

phantom_power

I am not sure they have "takes" do they? It is done pretty much live I thought. Some of his bits are pre-recorded but not that song

dunelm

Quote from: phantom_power on July 23, 2019, 10:33:42 AM
I am not sure they have "takes" do they? It is done pretty much live I thought. Some of his bits are pre-recorded but not that song

I guess ultimately we'll never know if they re-do stuff unless they discuss it. Vic and Bob like to run it as close to live for their stuff. I don't know if they re-do stuff, I've never been to a recording of their shows to know. Maybe somebody that's been to the recent shows can comment.

the

Last night I was listening to episode 31, featuring one of Bob's early Scottish dirges. The long trail of hilarity created by the first mention of the coffee shop lassie was really something.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dunelm on July 23, 2019, 10:43:14 AM
I guess ultimately we'll never know if they re-do stuff unless they discuss it. Vic and Bob like to run it as close to live for their stuff. I don't know if they re-do stuff, I've never been to a recording of their shows to know. Maybe somebody that's been to the recent shows can comment.
I did see them film an episode of House of Fools, and there was an element of filming certain scenes a few times with variations of dialogue.

the

The methodology and complexity of shooting studio TV comedy and recording a podcast are completely different, not sure what conflating the two achieves.