Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:23:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunelm

Quote from: the on July 23, 2019, 11:47:14 AM
The methodology and complexity of shooting studio TV comedy and recording a podcast are completely different, not sure what conflating the two achieves.

They are identical in this regard, the decision to re-perform material for whatever reason. Doesn't matter if it's in front of a camera or a mic, it's all performance.

Wet Blanket

I saw them film the pilot of House of Fools and was struck by how much effort they put into creating something so apparently ramshackle. They did about a dozen retakes of Bob comedy stretching a set of bollocks. I think Bob's mentioned before that the in the original run of BNO even the fluffs were scripted.

However I get the impression Athletico Mince is just bashed out in one go with no rehearsals or owt. Andy's laughs sound genuine, like he's as taken by surprise by Bob as we are.

non capisco

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 23, 2019, 01:45:26 PM
However I get the impression Athletico Mince is just bashed out in one go with no rehearsals or owt. Andy's laughs sound genuine, like he's as taken by surprise by Bob as we are.

His massive belly laugh at 'Bras for men' in the last episode being a good example. I have the definite sense that Andy hasn't heard or even read any of Bob's segments before Bob performs them.

dunelm

It was either Bob or Andy that said they redid the first Athletico Parsnips because they weren't happy with it, so they are are re-doing stuff if they're not happy.

I'm sure Bob deliberately left the Sean Dyche song in with the 'mistakes'.

I'm a bit behind on episodes of this (Ep 62 up next) is the Parsnips stuff a Patreon exclusive and is it worth subscribing?

the

Quote from: dunelm on July 23, 2019, 01:26:44 PMThey are identical in this regard, the decision to re-perform material for whatever reason. Doesn't matter if it's in front of a camera or a mic, it's all performance.

In a studio, the decision to re-perform material is usually a technical one (line fluff, sound problem, camera shot problem, effects problem). The decision could be made by someone other than the performer (usually the director). And if you're doing something with lines and a narrative (like HoF), everyone has to ensure that you get certain moments in the can in order for it to work when assembled. Recording a free-flowing podcast has none of this.

dunelm

Quote from: the on July 23, 2019, 02:44:36 PM
In a studio, the decision to re-perform material is usually a technical one (line fluff, sound problem, camera shot problem, effects problem). The decision could be made by someone other than the performer (usually the director). And if you're doing something with lines and a narrative (like HoF), everyone has to ensure that you get certain moments in the can in order for it to work when assembled. Recording a free-flowing podcast has none of this.

I didn't say it had, you're overcomplicating it. I'm merely pointing out the simple fact both are performing recorded material which the performers or anybody else could have an issue with and want to redo.

It's all the same, being unhappy with the performance in any aspect and wanting to redo, be it podcast, TV show, Film, YouTube etc. Any form of recorded performance can feature re-takes, re-records or whatever you want to call it.

the

Differing concepts which share an element are wholly the same.

dunelm

Quote from: the on July 23, 2019, 03:10:17 PM
Differing concepts which share an element are wholly the same.

Never said they are wholly the same, your words, that would be ridiculous clearly. Just pointing out where an aspect is identical.

phantom_power

It feels very much like they turn up and spout shite for an hour and then go home. Some might get lopped out if it doesn't work but I would be surprised if they retook specific elements

wooders1978

I can't really cope with Andy's relentless unfunniness anymore - what the fuck is that Roy hodgson shit? Is there a better example of one half of a double act being carried by the other ?

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 25, 2019, 09:20:18 AM
I can't really cope with Andy's relentless unfunniness anymore - what the fuck is that Roy hodgson shit? Is there a better example of one half of a double act being carried by the other ?

That's a thread all by itself. I'm sure in one of the earliest Soccer Aid matches, Diego Maradona was paired in midfield with Gordon Ramsay. Not strictly a double act, I grant you, but it's the only fitting comparison I can think of...

thugler

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 25, 2019, 09:20:18 AM

I like the Hodgson bit. More tiresome than his (admittedly not the strongest) bits is the endless moaning about him

Chollis

Quote from: thugler on July 25, 2019, 11:06:19 AMMore tiresome than his (admittedly not the strongest) bits is the endless moaning about him

nah

Replies From View

Quote from: thugler on July 25, 2019, 11:06:19 AM
More tiresome than his (admittedly not the strongest) bits is the endless moaning about him

This would be instantly solved if he stopped being so shit, though.  Win-win.

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on July 25, 2019, 04:36:26 PM
This would be instantly solved if he stopped being so shit, though.  Win-win.

Valid point. Has he tried not being shit I wonder?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: phantom_power on July 23, 2019, 08:44:19 PM
It feels very much like they turn up and spout shite for an hour and then go home. Some might get lopped out if it doesn't work but I would be surprised if they retook specific elements

The bits where Bob can't quite a voice right and takes another run up do suggest that, as you say, they don't sit there for hours slaving over each recording. It sounds very informal. I suspect that the most they ever do in terms of rehearsal is telling each other on the day of recording that they've written a Beardsley or Hodgson etc. "Can you cue me up for that?" is probably as far as it goes. 

wooders1978

Quote from: thugler on July 25, 2019, 11:06:19 AM
I like the Hodgson bit. More tiresome than his (admittedly not the strongest) bits is the endless moaning about him

Sorry Andy didn't know you posted here

Quote from: wooders1978 on July 25, 2019, 06:28:42 PM
Sorry Andy didn't know you posted here

It is possible to like Andy while agreeing that his bits aren't as good as Bob's, you know.

Anyway, I'm apparently some sort of rank and file Andy apologist, so feel free to ignore this.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 25, 2019, 06:02:18 PM
The bits where Bob can't quite a voice right and takes another run up do suggest that, as you say, they don't sit there for hours slaving over each recording. It sounds very informal. I suspect that the most they ever do in terms of rehearsal is telling each other on the day of recording that they've written a Beardsley or Hodgson etc. "Can you cue me up for that?" is probably as far as it goes.

Also you'd think that if they treated every episode like they were making Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band they'd put a bit more work into ensuring Andy wasn't a giant wall of shit.

That's no way to talk about Within You Without You.

Sin Agog

Only listened to two or three handsful of eps, but I kinda warmed to Andy when he freaked out his neighbour's children by playing The Associates' Sulk in the garden.

Twed

And the Gregg Wallace song to the tune of Prefab Sprout - King of Rock And Roll

"I feel nothing"

dunelm

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 25, 2019, 06:49:49 PM
It is possible to like Andy while agreeing that his bits aren't as good as Bob's, you know.

I'm of this view. Andy is likeable and occasionally in general chat he can be funny. It's just when he tries to do his own scripted stuff it goes north. Easily skipped!

Cuellar

Several big laughs from me this time.

John Joe Shelvey(?) saying yoghurt makes his 'tits go chaotic'

The sotto voce 'bras for men'

I also, surprisingly, found Jeremy Corbyn shouting 'OWNED' quite funny. Just the use of 'owned', seemed to come from a more innocent internet age.

Captain Z

I've never heard Mike Ashley speak but I can't help thinking with a bit of Bob's writing there could be a great character for Andy to play there.

non capisco

QuoteJohn Joe Shelvey(?) saying yoghurt makes his 'tits go chaotic'

Ha ha, forgot all about that one!

Jittlebags

John Joe and the blood sausage was an absolute classic. It had a certain poeticness.

kidney

new Mince

lovely little McClaren bit to kick things off

shiftwork2

Not seeing it so guessing you're a patreon parsnips supporter?  Either way mince lands soon.  The mince landings.