Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:57:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Cuellar on August 15, 2019, 09:25:03 AM
I wanted to find the first appearance of the Alderman and I think it's in episode 15, one of Andy's questions to Bob is 'Does the dirty Alderman insist that you call him daddy or is it the other way around?'

To which Bob says 'who did you say, the Alderman?... My relationship with the Alderman is purely business/professional'
Andy: 'Is that why you kissed him at a charity function'

So I think Andy did originate both the alderman and the kissing, but Bob made it sing.

I need to hear it to judge for myself, I guess.

Old Nehamkin

The miserable axe-grinding over every single thing Andy does is so fucking boring.

Old Nehamkin

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 15, 2019, 09:38:07 AM
The miserable axe-grinding over every single thing Andy does is so fucking boring.

It is a thread for discussing Athletico Mince.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 15, 2019, 09:38:54 AM
Episode 15, there you go:

https://athleticomince.com/2016/07/31/episode-15-my-jambon-hell/

Thanks.  I have it all on my podcast app so I wasn't asking for someone to link to it; I'll go back a couple of episodes earlier to see if it crops up before this, as well.

the

First mention of an Alderman is in episode 12 (11:50), the conversation about kissing him is in episode 13, (33:20). Can somebody draw a little forensic map of how this proves that someone is good and someone is crap please, thanks perspective-free maniacs x

dunelm

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 09:43:50 AM
It is a thread for discussing Athletico Mince.

Quite. Plus the issue is his shitness presents itself every single week.

Replies From View

Quote from: the on August 15, 2019, 09:44:51 AM
First mention of an Alderman is in episode 12 (11:50), the conversation about kissing him is in episode 13, (33:20). Can somebody draw a little forensic map of how this proves that someone is good and someone is crap please, thanks perspective-free maniacs x

No need to be forensic about it but that does show Bob originating both parts of the puzzle before Andy repeated them in episode 15.

It's good to get these things straight I think.  People were beginning to credit Andy for something good that he hadn't actually done.

Old Nehamkin

Thank Christ we managed to avert sonething vaguely positive being said about him.

Cuellar

Yes fair enough, it was Bob after all.

"Do you have an alderman up in Sunderland, who fiddles with kids and stuff?" haha

Replies From View

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 15, 2019, 09:59:22 AM
Thank Christ we managed to avert sonething vaguely positive being said about him.

I'm sure there will be another "get in grave" out there for him to steal one day.  Most people won't notice so he will get the undue positivity you want him to receive.

dunelm

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 15, 2019, 09:59:22 AM

I and others have said positive things about him. It's balance. He's mostly shit, hence on a thread discussing him you're mostly going to get 'he's shit' comments.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 09:17:28 AM
If "Alderman" was already floating around in the improvisations and Andy merely added the "kiss" bit I can picture it.  But I'd say it's a stretch to give him credit for the whole thing after just plonking together pieces that were already sitting there.

That is a stretch, yes, hence why I clearly wasn't giving him credit for the whole thing, I was merely stating that the phrase "kiss the alderman" came from Andy. Everything else about those sketches is 100% Bob. I can only assume that you misunderstood my post.

Natnar

Andy as the waiter in that first Slaughter's sketch is still the funniest thing i've heard in Mince.

Cuellar

Yeah that's true. Maybe not funniest thing, but it's very funny.

dunelm

Quote from: Natnar on August 15, 2019, 10:23:02 AM
Andy as the waiter in that first Slaughter's sketch is still the funniest thing i've heard in Mince.

First time I'd laughed at his performance. 70 odd eps in. Though coming fast around the corner was shit show of shit shows that was the bananarama 'bit'.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 15, 2019, 10:21:46 AM
That is a stretch, yes, hence why I clearly wasn't giving him credit for the whole thing, I was merely stating that the phrase "kiss the alderman" came from Andy. Everything else about those sketches is 100% Bob. I can only assume that you misunderstood my post.

I wasn't saying anything that you had done.  I was referring to the broader discussion that Andy had originated these things.

Cuellar

God I'm loving listening to these earlier minces: his song about Noel Edmonds in episode 14 is hilarious.

"He turned me on and spit me out. He made he his bitch with his love machine"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 10:33:56 AM
I wasn't saying anything that you had done.  I was referring to the broader discussion that Andy had originated these things.

I now realise, thanks to this thread, that the Club Parsnips compilation I listened to last night begins with the third appearance of the alderman. I haven't listened to the original episodes since they went out, so I'd forgotten that Bob did indeed introduce the kissing the alderman business. Andy picks it up again in episode 15, and Bob takes it from there.

Bob does laugh in a slightly surprised way when Andy references it again, though, which suggests that he'd forgotten about that throwaway bit of nonsense. So you could argue, fairly I think, that it's a good example of Andy prompting Bob to elaborate on an idea that he may have abandoned otherwise. 

non capisco

Quote from: Cuellar on August 15, 2019, 11:35:55 AM
God I'm loving listening to these earlier minces: his song about Noel Edmonds in episode 14 is hilarious.

I should really go back and listen to some of the early ones again. The sheer bliss of experiencing something catching comedic fire along with them when they started up with the brass hand business. I sense Bob's inspiration for Mince peaking and troughing at times but I think it's in one of those golden periods again with the introduction of Crime Files and his obvious amusement at his own choice to evolve Steve McLaren into basically Mavis from Coronation Street.

Jittlebags

Mis-ter Fer-nan-dessss.

non capisco

I should add I've always found Steve McLaren and Casper's devotion to each other genuinely touching. I wish I had a devoted pet who would opportunistically vomit in order for me to gain favour in an obscure situation.

DrGreggles

The Crime Files on the latest Parsnips is fucking amazing.

trabuch

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 20, 2019, 09:55:24 PM
The Crime Files on the latest Parsnips is fucking amazing.

Moving and violent

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 09:57:57 AM
No need to be forensic about it

yes that would be hellish wouldn't it, if someone were to drag a farty minuscule detail right out through the mud and brambles in the most pedantic and tedious way possible. you'd hate that i bet, if someone did that.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: non capisco on August 15, 2019, 10:38:48 PM
I should really go back and listen to some of the early ones again. The sheer bliss of experiencing something catching comedic fire along with them when they started up with the brass hand business. I sense Bob's inspiration for Mince peaking and troughing at times but I think it's in one of those golden periods again with the introduction of Crime Files and his obvious amusement at his own choice to evolve Steve McLaren into basically Mavis from Coronation Street.

i've been introducing my partner to mince and i went back into some early ones and picked a few at random to find some good bits. i forget which one it was exactly but i managed to land on one in which bob is at a social function with the alderman, bumps into peter beardsley and his wife and has an encounter with the south african caterer all in the same story. could not believe my luck, it's a scorcher.

bgmnts

I actually find Beardsley's first incarnation much funnier, with his proper geordie mumbling. It obviously wouldnt work for the long monologues but when he meets Peter at the football and he says something like: "Sobobhowoftendoyougetouttowatchthefootball" I burst out laughing.

non capisco

Quote from: bgmnts on August 20, 2019, 11:31:05 PM
I actually find Beardsley's first incarnation much funnier, with his proper geordie mumbling. It obviously wouldnt work for the long monologues but when he meets Peter at the football and he says something like: "Sobobhowoftendoyougetouttowatchthefootball" I burst out laughing.

Yeah, you forget he was deliberately nigh on incomprehensible when he was first introduced. I still maintain one of the first Beardsley appearances when he finds the poem his son has written about him ("Whatever I am I'm not that man") is one of the most heart-rending things that's ever gone out under the guise of comedy.

alan nagsworth

Bob has a brilliant knack for bringing certain characters back around - like the Alderman in one of the recent episodes, or the completely fresh new iteration of wispy-voiced McLaren and the hero Casper - so I like to think that wasn't the last we'll hear of Beardsley's son.

With Beardsley there's a real living breathing story in my head now and I can't ever listen without pondering the total tragic absurdity of the whole thing after each new story. A hideous, horrible woman who actively despises her husband but would be nothing without his round-the-clock love and attention. And then it's coupled with a wanton appetite for eggs and leg juice and burping up slugs on puffer jackets. It's brilliant on a number of levels.

Replies From View

Quote from: alan nagsworth on August 20, 2019, 11:26:11 PM
yes that would be hellish wouldn't it, if someone were to drag a farty minuscule detail right out through the mud and brambles in the most pedantic and tedious way possible. you'd hate that i bet, if someone did that.

Yeah or if someone who sneering sought to have an aloof air on the subject dredged it up again for no reason after it had been put to bed, that would be a pain in the arse.

phantom_power

The last two crime files (Mince and Parsnips) have been fucking amazing and Neil Hunt is another Bob creation that seems like nothing on paper but in his hands is comedy gold.