Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:56:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutin

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on November 01, 2019, 12:45:12 AM
The latest collection is out for those of you fond of self harming. Corbin Collection Volume 1. Who in their right fucking mind is downloading that one?!

Cancelling my Parsnips subscription.

DrGreggles

Just wait until the Lenny Biscuits compilation...

dunelm

Banarama compilation would be the absolute bottom of the barrel. I'm not even going to call it comedy because it isn't.

Popped this on in background at work as I sometimes think I'm being too harsh on Andy, Bob enjoys his company so there must be something there.

Only made it through the first clip. Dire.

Twed

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on November 01, 2019, 12:45:12 AM
The latest collection is out for those of you fond of self harming. Corbin Collection Volume 1. Who in their right fucking mind is downloading that one?!
It was a good reason to test the "delete episode" button in my podcast app.

non capisco

Just listened again to one of Bob's old 'Come To Sunderland' songs and was delighted once more by the spoken word interjection "How mate, ya can't park on the hard standing, that's where me Alsatian does his lovemaaaakin'!"

There was an early-ish Steve McLaren and Casper segment where they visit a hospital containing the sentence "And of course he made a beeline for the vending machine". That to me is a kind of alchemy, every word in that sentence, particularly "and of course" and the idea of a snake making a "beeline" for anything. 

Twed

Andy is getting out of control. Him using the "free sweeties" and "Marlene" as eranu and uvavu are dripping with "please like me" desperation, it's really painful to listen to.

sponk

Quote from: non capisco on November 06, 2019, 10:57:54 PM
Just listened again to one of Bob's old 'Come To Sunderland' songs and was delighted once more by the spoken word interjection "How mate, ya can't park on the hard standing, that's where me Alsatian does his lovemaaaakin'!"

There was an early-ish Steve McLaren and Casper segment where they visit a hospital containing the sentence "And of course he made a beeline for the vending machine". That to me is a kind of alchemy, every word in that sentence, particularly "and of course" and the idea of a snake making a "beeline" for anything.

I find a lot of Bob's material to be quite snobbish and genuinely contemptuous of the working class, but I can't help but laugh. He's a very wealthy and priviliged man so I should hate hearing him attack impoverished people but he's so funny and absurd I can't hold it against him.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I don't find that material contemptuous at all. It is, as you say, so utterly OTT and absurd, there's no way you could accuse him of "punching down". Well you could, but you'd be wrong to.

Harry Hill sneering at working-class single mums was genuinely nasty. Bob's stuff takes place in daft fantasy Bobworld, a world partially rooted in his own working-class background. There's no malice.

The Culture Bunker

I always took the joke as Sunderland being slagged off for being a dump by someone from, of all places, Middlesbrough.  Mackem Town is pretty much civilised compared to Smoggieland.

Was reminded of it today on the way to work when I saw a bus ad with the slogan "look at this blue drink", though it was for some fruit shake type nonsense.

And his "Sounds of Newcastle Train Station" sketch from a while back was completely brilliant.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 07, 2019, 09:27:33 AM
I always took the joke as Sunderland being slagged off for being a dump by someone from, of all places, Middlesbrough.  Mackem Town is pretty much civilised compared to Smoggieland.

That's pretty much it.

Speaking as someone who grew up in the shadow of the 'boro, this is what made all the songs and questions about dogs in prams so great.

Ferris

I miss the "Sounds of..." sketches.

"Sounds of a Sunderland funeral" is my favourite sketch so far.

dr beat

Only just got round to listening to the latest one, but I'm glad Neil Hunt got a win this time.

Liked the Jurgen Klopp rap, but God luv im and all that, he's a bloke who almost beyond parody.

gmoney

The lyric "The lasses stride around like the prawns in District 9" goes through my head every so often and never fails to make me smile.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on November 07, 2019, 07:05:23 PM
Speaking as someone who grew up in the shadow of the 'boro, this is what made all the songs and questions about dogs in prams so great.
Well, yeah, I grew up in West Cumbria, which is complete Bandit Country even compared to the Boro. Teeside Tintin is like Jane Austen to us lot, but the stuff Bob comes out with about his fellow Northern hicks is familiar and hilarious. I never get the feeling he's punching down, just playing up to our absurdities.

dunelm

Quote from: sponk on November 07, 2019, 01:32:01 AM
I find a lot of Bob's material to be quite snobbish and genuinely contemptuous of the working class, but I can't help but laugh. He's a very wealthy and priviliged man so I should hate hearing him attack impoverished people but he's so funny and absurd I can't hold it against him.

This is total bullshit. Anybody that has followed Bob's work over the years knows this is not even remotely true.

sponk

Quote from: dunelm on November 07, 2019, 11:20:11 PM
This is total bullshit. Anybody that has followed Bob's work over the years knows this is not even remotely true.

It's not bullshit, he is funny no matter what you say. .

That's the entire joke, yes. Bob knows that, Andy knows that, everyone who doesn't have a tin comedy ear knows that.

Quote from: sponk on November 07, 2019, 11:23:39 PM

It is bullshit. What Bob's doing there is a straightforward funny joke: Bob makes fun of Andy's hometown, safe in the knowledge that everybody listening understands that Bob's hometown is a bit shit too. Most towns are shit. And from thence the humour arose.

Quote from: Twed on November 07, 2019, 01:09:32 AM
Andy is getting out of control. Him using the "free sweeties" and "Marlene" as eranu and uvavu are dripping with "please like me" desperation, it's really painful to listen to.

He even manages to cock that one up by aligning his two phrases to 'true' and 'false' rather than acknowledging whether Bob got the right or wrong answer.

It's telling that the two phrases used are pretty much the only two things he's come out with that were genuinely funny.

dunelm

Quote from: sponk on November 07, 2019, 11:23:39 PM

Bob's comedy has never been vicious or nasty towards any particular group, you've got this one the wrong way round.

Bob and Andy both take the piss out of each other, it's just an expression of that. I think you've made 2 + 2 = 487. 

wooders1978

Just listened to the 442 interview - Andy comes across really well I thought, as he is not trying to hard at something he's not particularly good at I.e keeping up with bob in the "madcap" stakes
I think he should try and do more "straight man" stuff in the eps and it would really improve the podcast

sponk

Quote from: Twed on November 07, 2019, 01:09:32 AM

Ah coulda nicked this, but ah DIIIIIIDDDD!

non capisco

The first three quarters of the latest episode got virtually no reaction out of me BUT THEN the closing Beardsley segment was just bullseye after bullseye.

phantom_power

The Beardsley bit was amazing. I had to stop listening in the queue at the sandwich shop as I was giggling too much. "Eggy memories" sent me over the edge

phes

Sean Dyche yesterday, threatening to kick Dwight McNeil if he doesn't smile more

QuoteI told him this week I'd kick him somewhere if he didn't start smiling a bit more. I think he's enjoying his football and that's the main thing for me."

dunelm

Quote from: non capisco on November 09, 2019, 08:54:26 PM
The first three quarters of the latest episode got virtually no reaction out of me BUT THEN the closing Beardsley segment was just bullseye after bullseye.

I find when Mince lands it really really does land. I know we've all said how brilliant Bob is many times but l'll say it again, he's the funniest human alive.

Hahaha Bob's new impressions in today's ep are sublime. Another cracking Crime File.