Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: phantom_power on January 17, 2020, 10:36:20 AM
I don't really get the Omsk stuff. Like most of Andy's stuff the comedy is unfocused. His music sounds nothing like the sort of trance that he would produce and the other stuff is just lolrandom. It's the same with Mark Lawrenson's lists. What are they trying to do?

The Lawrenson lists are indeed garbage. The Omsk stuff I see as a pretentious DJ constantly trying to think outside the box as a point of difference. It's not highbrow, or even clever, but it's funny.

phantom_power

I can see what he is trying to do but I think it isn't specific or funny enough, and the style of music is all wrong. I suppose it doesn't help that he shares a podcast with the master of creating a fully-realised character with minimal details

Blinder Data

£30 for an hourlong show is taking the piss. It feels like a deliberate choice so they can cram two shows in a night.

However, my friend bought me a ticket so now I think it's gonna be great

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: phantom_power on January 17, 2020, 10:36:20 AM
I don't really get the Omsk stuff. Like most of Andy's stuff the comedy is unfocused. His music sounds nothing like the sort of trance that he would produce and the other stuff is just lolrandom. It's the same with Mark Lawrenson's lists. What are they trying to do?

based on his other tunes, i assume they sound like that because he dosent really know what hes doing with music software, which makes me laugh, the idea of him lobbing a load of stuff into audacity, saying 'fuckin hell man' to himself at the result

lebowskibukowski

Very much looking forward to the Brighton 9pm show tonight. Give me Mrs.Beardsley, Neil Hunt and maybe a South African and I will be a very happy boy.

sutin

Has anyone been to a live show yet? Would love to read a review. I'm going on Thursday to the Bristol show.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: sutin on January 21, 2020, 08:23:41 PM
Has anyone been to a live show yet? Would love to read a review. I'm going on Thursday to the Bristol show.

I watched and enjoyed the video they made of one of their 2016 shows. It's on their Patreon site, if you have access to that.

As you'd expect, it's more or less a live version of the podcast. Songs, sketches, Bob and Andy having a daft (albeit scripted) chat, all the usual Mince ingredients. There's visual element too, it's not just the pair of them sitting on chairs.

sutin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 21, 2020, 08:35:08 PM
I watched and enjoyed the video they made of one of their 2016 shows. It's on their Patreon site, if you have access to that.

As you'd expect, it's more or less a live version of the podcast. Songs, sketches, Bob and Andy having a daft (albeit scripted) chat, all the usual Mince ingredients. There's visual element too, it's not just the pair of them sitting on chairs.

Yeah, i've had that video for a few years. I was talking about the current tour.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: sutin on January 21, 2020, 08:23:41 PM

I've got to say I was slightly disappointed. There were some very, very funny bits but I'm not quite sure that the 'banker' bits were as good as they could've been. It's hard to put a finger on. As a long time dismisser of Dawson, I also have to hold my hands up and say that he was actually pretty good, although there were a brief couple of tumbleweed moments.
I am probably being too harsh as I fuckin' love Mince, and I spent most of the night laughing - there was just the nagging feeling that it could've been better. Solid 7/10

Swoz_MK

Went on Sunday, the mask alone was worth the entrance fee. And Bob's face while doing certain characters.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 22, 2020, 08:45:28 AM
Went on Sunday, the mask alone was worth the entrance fee. And Bob's face while doing certain characters.

Oh yes, the mask is excellent :)

dunelm

There's several moments in the recorded live show where Andy is going through the motions and is getting no response. Painful to watch. You do wonder why Bob doesn't say to him beforehand, 'Andy, that's shit, don't do it'.

the

Are you going to any of these live shows dunelm?

dunelm

No the, wouldn't be able to skip Andy's sections.

the

How come you didn't skip them when you were watching the video?

dunelm

I started off giving him the benefit of the doubt, then he did a few 'mini dies' and then I skipped.

the

Well, once you know what's coming... :)

You could apply that timesaving logic of swerving predictability more generally

SteveDave

To quote my friend Tim

Bob did this bit where he was dancing and plays an air horn and everyone was in hysterics. Andy did the exact same bit later to stoney silence

Stoneage Dinosaurs

https://twitter.com/lukedady92/status/1221871511298101248?s=19

QuoteBBC using the Peter Beardsley music from @AthleticoMince as a backdrop for their Auschwitz photos was a difficult watch for different reasons...

Jittlebags

The version without the clock obviously adds more gravitas,

Dog-dirt.

petril

cannot WAIT for all incidental music to be Peter Beardsley. Trickle about to become a flood

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTuJeCFBu18

Background music here! "I pick the team, from the adults in the squad!"

SteveDave

I laughed (out loud) at something Andy did on the latest episode.

DrGreggles

Quote from: SteveDave on February 09, 2020, 08:48:52 PM
I laughed (out loud) at something Andy did on the latest episode.

Guru?

phantom_power

The guru is another Andy character that goes nowhere after the first couple of appearances, and the less said about those fucking mango songs the better

It was a great Homes Under The Hammer and Crime Files this week though. Bob's Nigel Pearson was another character masterclass

boki

Quote from: phantom_power on February 09, 2020, 10:22:55 PMIt was a great Homes Under The Hammer and Crime Files this week though. Bob's Nigel Pearson was another character masterclass
That Crime File almost had me cracking up at the bus stop this morning.  I look weird and awkward enough as it is, without Bob's help.

dunelm

Andy said something last episode that made me laugh. Can't remember what it was though, other than it occured in general chat rather a character bit.

It was odd because after I laughed, I thought 'Fuck me, Andy just made me laugh!'. It was the noteableness of it. 

robhug

The latest episode had seemingly a perfect Scottish tale natural ending, but no, Andy pipes up with a diabolical rushed fucking mango song that tainted the WHOLE episode for me.