Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:12:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunelm

Andy's mango 'songs' are beyond shit. That is all.

Quote from: robhug on February 10, 2020, 12:25:23 PM
The latest episode had seemingly a perfect Scottish tale natural ending, but no, Andy pipes up with a diabolical rushed fucking mango song that tainted the WHOLE episode for me.

Yeah, that was absolute torture. Surely to god bob recoils at some of the dogshit he churns out.

The guru is one of the only Andy things that's amused me the first time it was introduced. However,  I've never understood why he flips from the guru's voice to that Tourette's type Scouse(?) growl. It's just another little indicator that the bloke has no fucking clue what about the character may be tolerable and what is utter drivel.

I really really hate him.

Ferris

Quote from: robhug on February 10, 2020, 12:25:23 PM
The latest episode had seemingly a perfect Scottish tale natural ending, but no, Andy pipes up with a diabolical rushed fucking mango song that tainted the WHOLE episode for me.

Yes, to all of this.

mr. logic

Thought the latest episode was pretty poor, tbh.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Bob asks The Guru what sort of music he likes. The Guru replies, "Reggae". Bob cackles.

At the risk of sounding like Iain Lee, that was funny.

phantom_power

Which 3 utter arseholes gave that video a thumbs down?

Quote from: phantom_power on February 22, 2020, 09:02:35 AM
Which 3 utter arseholes gave that video a thumbs down?
Could be a solitary Mackem.

the

Quote from: bgmnts on February 21, 2020, 11:38:47 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2VoHdpj2ZA bit of Barry.

Those were great. Where did they come from, has Bob been releasing them through Twitter or something?

phantom_power

I think he has been putting them out on Twitter or Instagram on a semi-regular basis for a few months

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 21, 2020, 11:34:40 PM
Bob asks The Guru what sort of music he likes. The Guru replies, "Reggae". Bob cackles.

At the risk of sounding like Iain Lee, that was funny.

Yes it was. I didn't mind the mangoes song either.

Can I just confess: I don't like The Nonsense Potter
Ta.

Dewt

It's all about his "this is beyond the pale" rage voice. Very middle-class pathetic British man thing.

Blue Jam

It just doesn't do it for me, sorry. Very sick of Bob's quizzes too.

Thought the last episode was pretty poor, apart from Jurgen Jorgen Klopp. A bit of Kloppo is always welcome.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 24, 2020, 02:21:17 PM
Very sick of Bob's quizzes too.

Yeah, they were shit early on IMO. The show as a whole can still be incredible of course, but I do tend to start fast forwarding though various bits I don't like, which on a bad day can account for almost half of it. Long and short of it is that Andy is absolutely fine, vital even, as an assistant to Bob, but he just isn't funny enough to come up with original characters and write funny material for them, especially when he'd doing it cheek by jowl with one of the best to ever do it.

Now that I think about it, the last thing they did that had me literally convulsing and gasping for breath is the first appearance of Adrian Lewis, which they ran into the ground within a couple episodes.

bgmnts

Wow, I can't think of anything of Bob's that doedn't work for me.

The Nigel Pearson in the latest nonsense pottery was brilliant.

Swoz_MK

Andy seems to fucking hate that Train Guy is getting popular among those that don't seem to know that Mince/Barry exists

Oh christ, really? Fucking hell, he needs to calm down and realise he's already punching above his weight by creating content with Bob at all.

Maybe he should roll out Two Large Mangos on his own Twitter, I'm sure it won't go down like a lump of shit like it does in the pod.

(Fair fucks, the guru still gives me the odd chuckle, but I am also dreading the "Best of the Guru Vol.1" that will inevitably be released on Parsnips.)

DrGreggles

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on February 25, 2020, 09:20:56 AM
I am also dreading the "Best of the Guru Vol.1" that will inevitably be released on Parsnips.

I think we'd all take that over a Lenny Biscuits compilation.

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 25, 2020, 09:22:52 AM
I think we'd all take that over a Lenny Biscuits compilation.

Good point. Also Andy does seem to have awareness that nobody wants his bits in compilation format.

beanheadmcginty

I barely read Twitter so only just saw how Bob's videos really seem to have taken off. They've got millions of views. The curious thing is that he doesn't seem to be making any attempt to inform people that the character is called Barry Homeowner rather than "Train Guy". Maybe he's actually doing it to wind Andy up. Train Guy is an incredibly shit name though. Completely unworthy of Bob.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 28, 2020, 11:36:16 PM
I barely read Twitter so only just saw how Bob's videos really seem to have taken off. They've got millions of views. The curious thing is that he doesn't seem to be making any attempt to inform people that the character is called Barry Homeowner rather than "Train Guy". Maybe he's actually doing it to wind Andy up. Train Guy is an incredibly shit name though. Completely unworthy of Bob.

I think that's the beauty of it. Bob can knock up some brilliant comedy totally off-the-cuff without the need to dress it up or really think it through.

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on February 28, 2020, 11:53:39 PM
I think that's the beauty of it. Bob can knock up some brilliant comedy totally off-the-cuff without the need to dress it up or really think it through.

Yeah, but the point is that Train Guy is Barry Homeowner from Athletico Mince, which most people who enjoy Bob's videos won't be aware of. It's Bob's character, he can do what he likes with it, but I guess it would be quite nice if he acknowledged the podcast in some way.

bgmnts

I think Bob is just free and easy with reusing characters and material. like the Palmer brothers and rodney plonket and stuff.

I agree, it's fine, but I get why Andy might want fans of Train Guy to check out Athletico Mince. Seems fair enough to me.

magval

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 28, 2020, 11:36:16 PM
I barely read Twitter so only just saw how Bob's videos really seem to have taken off.

Enough people were talking about it the last time he posted that it was 'trending', which is something I don't fully understand but at its basic concept seems to reflect a high volume of chatter. Just the words 'Train Guy' at the side of the screen alongside the usual stuff (Trump, Covid etc).

I was so surprised when I clicked on it to see it was him. I agree the acknowledgment of Barry and the podcast in some way would be nice.

phantom_power

How little effort did Andy put into that Amazon review quiz on the latest Parsnips? It is a shit idea anyway but all of the answers were genuine so he couldn't even be bothered to think up realistic fake ones.

Ferris

Quote from: phantom_power on February 29, 2020, 10:44:16 AM
How little effort did Andy put into that Amazon review quiz on the latest Parsnips? It is a shit idea anyway but all of the answers were genuine so he couldn't even be bothered to think up realistic fake ones.

His attempt to turn "powerful" into a running joke were pitiful. He shoehorned it in after every segment regardless of whether it made any sense, but Bob didn't engage and just let it die on its arse. And then, weirdly, he made the choice to leave those bits of floundering material in the final podcast (or at least couldn't be arsed to edit them out).

Add to that, it was Bob's little phrase in the first place. I see he's started receiving .wav files as well. A perfect microcosm of the comedic imbalance between the two hosts.

beanheadmcginty

I'm no Andy hater. I think he's perfectly decent in the role he's found himself in. But I have started to wonder whether Bob is subconsciously asserting dominance. That man is so inherently and effortlessly funny he can thrive in whatever social media he decides to adopt. He could drop Mince tomorrow and it would have no effect on his life, whereas it would destroy Andy.

the

Ah, the power struggle - this happens in all comedy duos apparently, and isn't usually in the imagination of bored comedy fans or anything.

They've got AM live dates coming up, just for a bit of context.

(That said, it wouldn't surprise me that much if Mince came to an end sometime soon, 100 episodes worth of stuff is a fair body of work and a bit of a milestone.)