Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Bob as Peter Beardsley reciting crap old jokes is a 100% reliable formula for tearful hysterics. The bit where Andy broke on the "funfair dismissal" punchline, jesus.

Completely agree with the poster upthread who said that the Mark Lawrenson stories are irritating because of Andy having to repeat the lines, I've always been of that opinion and I'd thought they'd ditched them long ago. Bring back Steve McLaren and Casper!

One recent-ish aspect of the podcast I enjoy is their unironic TV and film recommendations, where it suddenly turns into a completely different type of podcast for a minute and a half or so. Glad to hear Bob's a fan of last year's cinematic highlight 'A Ghost Story'.

NEW PAGE Y'KNAAAAAMMNN

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: non capisco on April 15, 2018, 11:26:57 PM
The bit where Andy broke on the "funfair dismissal" punchline, jesus.

Andy's reactions to the Beardsley joke-book jokes are just so bloody lovely and joyous.

easytarget

Quote from: non capisco on April 15, 2018, 11:26:57 PM
Bob as Peter Beardsley reciting crap old jokes is a 100% reliable formula for tearful hysterics.

This is as good as podcasts get. I thought the Peter Beardsley stuff was great initially but a bit too dark, sad and grim.
Tacking these jokes on the end and singing "one Peter Beardsley" really cuts through the bleakness.

Povidone

The way Bob gleefully soars into the chorus 'Sunderland is FUCKING NIGHTMARE' is a thing of beauty.

Anyone else think there was a bit of genuine frustration from Bob in the middle of the Mark Lawrenson bit?

spamwangler

Quote from: easytarget on April 16, 2018, 05:57:23 AM
This is as good as podcasts get. I thought the Peter Beardsley stuff was great initially but a bit too dark, sad and grim.
Tacking these jokes on the end and singing "one Peter Beardsley" really cuts through the bleakness.

Yea i think Bob has warmed to the character he created, - i think thats part of why bobworld is so charming and funny - hes always curious and admiring of his characters, where as in Andy's world he often has to have the last laugh

The thing I love most about his relentless slating of Sunderland is the clear self awareness that being from Middlesbrough it's definitely a case pot calling the kettle black but he just doesn't care one iota and Andy lets it slide as any straight man should. Having been to both places many times I'd struggle to decide which was the worst shithole.

bgmnts

I also miss McClaren and Casper. I dont know why McClaren doesnt make an appearence in British Managers Club. I think McClaren definitely fits the criteria.

East of Eden

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2018, 12:50:38 PM
I also miss McClaren and Casper. I dont know why McClaren doesnt make an appearence in British Managers Club. I think McClaren definitely fits the criteria.

That would be good, McLaren and his mid-hair oxbow smashing through the doors.

Bhazor

Mid head ox bow remains the best thing to come out of the whole series.

Do you feel me?

spamwangler

have any of the footballists mentioned on the show talked about being sent up on it?

Wet Blanket

Quote from: spamwangler on April 16, 2018, 03:25:19 PM
have any of the footballists mentioned on the show talked about being sent up on it?

What's a belinda wipe?

spamwangler

Povidone

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 16, 2018, 12:35:10 PM
The thing I love most about his relentless slating of Sunderland is the clear self awareness that being from Middlesbrough it's definitely a case pot calling the kettle black but he just doesn't care one iota and Andy lets it slide as any straight man should. Having been to both places many times I'd struggle to decide which was the worst shithole.

Related to this is Bob's tendency to do completely overblown accents for yer Geordies and Sunderlanders even though being from the northeast himself he can probably do something more subtle you get yer Robson Greenes and the two jakeys in the toilet from Scenes from Sunderland.

bgmnts

How great would it be if in the last ever episode it was just 30 minute story incorporating every character Bob does. Maybe some football award ceremony in Stockton or something.

That would be amazing.

GentleJoshing

Quote from: Bhazor on April 16, 2018, 02:20:01 PM
Mid head ox bow remains the best thing to come out of the whole series.

Do you feel me?
I feel you quite well. McClaren and Sean Dyche doing the observational comedy battle is a thing of beauty. https://youtu.be/4juEa2qjYzI "it was his first day so he wears a nice, short sleeved, comfort fit shirt in powder blue" - those mundane touches that Bob adds to his characters are just fucking ace. Beardsley never quite does it for me as much as McClaren though, can't get past the voice.

The Bumlord

I'm enjoying Beardsley's new Native American style noises.

spanky

Beardsley's enthusiasm for a chicken wrap always gets me. Lovely and lumpy

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: bgmnts on April 16, 2018, 10:30:06 PM
How great would it be if in the last ever episode it was just 30 minute story incorporating every character Bob does. Maybe some football award ceremony in Stockton or something.

That would be amazing.

I do not want to countenance the thought that there will ever be a last episode...

Ghost Dad

I've listened to Mick McCarthy's bastard rant about 5 times now. Every time he said 'bastard' it was still funny. Every single time.

phantom_power

No mention of Bob saying there will be a new series of BNO? That's big news, or was it already well known?

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on April 18, 2018, 08:58:14 AM
No mention of Bob saying there will be a new series of BNO? That's big news, or was it already well known?

I think it was mentioned on here (somewhere) around Christmas time.
It was announced that there would be a series on BBC Four before the BNO 'one-off' was even broadcast.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

bgmnts

The Sunderland song was great.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 20, 2018, 03:49:39 PM
The latest episode is up: https://www.acast.com/athleticomince/ep.58-honktheconch?autoplay

Peter Beardsley's Humpty Dumpty gag was so unexpectedly puerile, I nearly gave myself a hernia.

petril

good Derek voice turning up for a bit this time

ColinPopshed

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 20, 2018, 04:15:24 PM
Peter Beardsley's Humpty Dumpty gag was so unexpectedly puerile, I nearly gave myself a hernia.

I have just screamed at that bit, and possibly alarmed my neighbours

Ferris

Sunderland song exceptionally good this week.

spamwangler

OVER FIFTY GRAND BRO-O-O--O-O-O-O-O-O-O

wooders1978

Unfortunately I only really like the peter Beardsley bits now - fucking amazing

Ferris

Beardsley won me round by the end. Fantastic.

Cackling like a mad thing at work.