Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,209
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 05:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

I'm going to defend Andy too. People have turned against him because he sometimes acts the bell on Twitter, and he flounders when he tries to do his own stories or skits, but he's more or less abandoned that to just act as a foil for Bob, which he does pretty well. I like how he audibly pisses himself at Bob's stories. As you could see on that Paul Whitehouse fishing programme, up against another professional comic the dynamic is totally different.

Also he's obviously the brains behind the operation when it comes to actually making the podcast happen, it wouldn't exist at all if it wasn't for him

Depressed Beyond Tables

Andy has reined in his contributions to the pod noticeably in the past months/year. There was a while there where it was getting out of hand.

phantom_power

He has also stopped cutting Bob's ideas down before they have had a chance to blossom. That used to piss me off a lot

bgmnts

New Mince!

Says it has Lawro, Beardsley and Gangs. Bang tidy!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm glad people are saying nice things about Andy for once.

I've mentioned before that Andy is a Twitter pal of mine, so I'm obviously MASSIVELY BIASED, but he's an excellent foil for Bob. They've settled into such a nice "groove" now. Andy prompts Bob's flights of fancy and interjects as and when interjections are required. He keeps the conversation moving, but sits back when Bob is in full flow. Also, his spontaneous laughter adds to the overall jollity of proceedings.

They obviously enjoy each other's company, they've developed a good dynamic, and the podcast wouldn't be nearly as funny if Bob didn't have Andy to bounce off.

spamwangler

yea ive changed my mind on andy now, hes great

SteveDave

This week I laughed heartily at

Vardy (at the back): "Racist"

and

"WELCOME TO MY TED TALK!"

phantom_power

The Beardsley story was a peach. It is great the way he has built up this life and personality pretty much from scratch. The staring, the puffa puffa jacket, the poachies. Not heard much about lovely lovely chicken wraps lately. Maybe the wife has banned them. I like how we have started to see the affectionate side of his wife so she isn't just some two-dimensional battleaxe.

Cuellar

I laughed at the Tunisia team being described as 'boots mcfancies'

and at Beardsley's wife calling him a 'fucking creep'

Chollis

YE FOCKIN DOYLE always gets me

SpiderChrist

"Yerra good lad, Peetah" gets me every time.

PaulTMA

Quote from: phantom_power on June 22, 2018, 11:46:48 AM
The Beardsley story was a peach. It is great the way he has built up this life and personality pretty much from scratch. The staring, the puffa puffa jacket, the poachies. Not heard much about lovely lovely chicken wraps lately. Maybe the wife has banned them. I like how we have started to see the affectionate side of his wife so she isn't just some two-dimensional battleaxe.

I see this as her more being a bit sociopathic / bipolar

Depressed Beyond Tables

Well I think the fact that Beardsley is roundly considered to have been a gifted footballer makes him fair game for a piss-ripping. I know a few things have come out lately to paint him as a bit of a shitter but playing-wise he'll be remembered as a rare gem.

On that basis, he's ripe for a slagging and the 'wife' stuff is just extras and not really personal/nasty.

Replies From View

Quote from: spamwangler on June 21, 2018, 10:42:08 PM
yea ive changed my mind on andy now, hes great

Well I haven't.  You have yet to fool me.

Yes it's good that he's more quiet now, but that's not really a tick in his box per se.

phantom_power

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on June 25, 2018, 12:16:15 AM
Well I think the fact that Beardsley is roundly considered to have been a gifted footballer makes him fair game for a piss-ripping. I know a few things have come out lately to paint him as a bit of a shitter but playing-wise he'll be remembered as a rare gem.

On that basis, he's ripe for a slagging and the 'wife' stuff is just extras and not really personal/nasty.

As with all of Bob's impressions, it is so far from reality that it can't possibly be personal or nasty. He takes some sort of feature about the way a person looks or talks and builds a character from scratch out of that. Harry Kane sounds nothing like Bob's version of him, but he looks like he should

Quote from: phantom_power on June 25, 2018, 09:02:07 AM
As with all of Bob's impressions, it is so far from reality that it can't possibly be personal or nasty. He takes some sort of feature about the way a person looks or talks and builds a character from scratch out of that. Harry Kane sounds nothing like Bob's version of him, but he looks like he should

If ONLY Raheem (Raheed?) Sterling actually spoke like Davey Stott the world would be a more glorious place.

gmoney

Quote from: Replies From View on June 25, 2018, 06:53:43 AM
Well I haven't.  You have yet to fool me.

Yes it's good that he's more quiet now, but that's not really a tick in his box per se.

He still had a shit song in this week, and an excruciating Corbyn bit a couple of eps ago.

Ferris

Quote from: gmoney on June 25, 2018, 10:07:56 PM
He still had a shit song in this week, and an excruciating Corbyn bit a couple of eps ago.

Agree that he is shite. The fact that he gets better the less he says is an argument for why Birmingham is nicer the further away you get. These are not strong points in their favour.

the

I don't get what people ceaselessly complaining about Andy actually want. As pointed out, Athletico Mince would cease to exist without him.

Enjoyed the bread song (though appallingly executed), but regardless of that it lasted about 45 seconds. If you literally cannot be subjected to 45 seconds of Andy then you should probably stop listening for your own sake. Bob's never going to talk to himself, nor record such a thing. Accept the fucking setup.

gmoney

Quote from: the on June 26, 2018, 07:46:33 AM
I don't get what people ceaselessly complaining about Andy actually want. As pointed out, Athletico Mince would cease to exist without him.

To not:

Do songs
Do his own segments

I should point out that I am fine with Andy as a foil, and even doing Mark Lawrenson's voice, which he's actually good at. Athletico Mince is probably the podcast I look forward to the most, so I guess I also want to criticise the shit bits (Andy's).

DrGreggles

I thought the artisan bread song was OK.

Chollis

As others have said, he needs to stop doing his own songs/bits as they are almost always cringeworthy and shit. He's fine as the straight man but not as the comic. I do like his barely contained laughter in the Beardsley monologues and how that makes Bob crack up too though.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Chollis on June 26, 2018, 09:59:13 AMI do like his barely contained laughter in the Beardsley monologues and how that makes Bob crack up too though.

True, the first or second 'get me jokebook out' segment with the aquarium / borrow Batman forever / Kenwood gags was made by Andy's reaction.  Wish he wouldn't go on 'dogdirt' every time though.  A minor quibble.

yesitsme

Mrs Beardsley puts me in mind of Sid Smutt's mum.

ya' fukin' Doyle!

*why Doyle?

Captain Z

Jamie Vardy looks vaguely like someone I went to school with, but Bob's caricature is now moving him almost exactly in line with that person so I'm finding it hilarious.

hermitical

Quote from: yesitsme on June 26, 2018, 01:07:54 PM
Mrs Beardsley puts me in mind of Sid Smutt's mum.

ya' fukin' Doyle!

*why Doyle?

I grew up near the Teesside area and "doyle" was an insult used when I was a kid. I hadn't heard it in 25 years until I heard Mrs Beardsly use it and it really made me happy in a proustian way. I have no idea why it is used though.

Hecate

Been years since I've heard it, it's a bit old fashioned I think.

Quote from: yesitsme on June 26, 2018, 01:07:54 PM*why Doyle?

Might it be related to doylem?- https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/127127/etymology-of-doylum

The Culture Bunker

Teeside Tintin uses 'doyle' as an insult, so I assume it is still used in such parts.

Ferris

Enjoyed the bread song (though appallingly executed), but regardless of that it lasted about 45 seconds. If you literally cannot be subjected to 45 seconds of Andy then you should probably stop listening for your own sake. Bob's never going to talk to himself, nor record such a thing. Accept the fucking setup.

If you can't even defend the 45 seconds of his "appallingly executed" original content, maybe it's valid to criticize him.

He's a very effective foil to bounce off, but he sort of needs to recognize that and not bother with 7 minute segments around Jeremy Corbyn (itself a lazy theft of Bob's The Alderman, but overdone, underwhelming, and unfunny - with the kicker of also being centrist-dad).

I think he's a naturally funny guy and has his moments, but doing whimsical improv opposite Bob Mortimer is always going to be a tough gig. It's ok to just be the straight man and chuck in the odd line to keep the pacing right.

In fairness to him (and to you), what the fuck do I know? I'm just some bloke on the internet so take my opinion for what it is worth.