Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: shiftwork2 on June 26, 2018, 01:03:00 PM
True, the first or second 'get me jokebook out' segment with the aquarium / borrow Batman forever / Kenwood gags was made by Andy's reaction.

Absolutely. Andy laughing just before Bob delivers the deliberately shit and predictable 'Batman Forever' punchline makes it even funnier.

spamwangler

was just listening to the latest peter beardsley story whilst doing something else, and was presented with this catchpa:

Chills.

SteveDave

lebowskibukowski

For months now I have been telling my wife how fucking amazing Mince is and, finally, on a three hour drive back from Wales, she relented and said she was prepared to listen to it. So I played her the new episode.
She has told me to never take the piss out of The Big Bang Theory again. Damn you Mortimer for the first weak episode in months!

bgmnts

Yeah will be honest I don't remember anything about this episode.

magval

I remember Vardy saying "at a boozy do", a beautiful use of English.

DrGreggles

Gangs of the EPL and Beardsley hit every time for me.

Pebble_Mill

Thought the gangs of the EPL was a total mess in this episode. Beardsley was great tho, "you fuckin dozy fuckin clown"

Pseudopath

Quote from: Pebble_Mill on July 17, 2018, 08:45:03 AM
Thought the gangs of the EPL was a total mess in this episode. Beardsley was great tho, "you fuckin dozy fuckin clown"

Mrs Beardsley never fails to amuse: "The boiler inside a Scotch is just a sweaty fuckin' prisoner trapped in a cage of cheap Scottish fuckin' meat. It's lost all its fuckin' clout. I'd rather eat a fuckin' dog egg!"

phantom_power

What is the music in the background of the Beardsley stuff? It is beautiful

Pseudopath

Quote from: phantom_power on July 17, 2018, 06:57:24 PM
What is the music in the background of the Beardsley stuff? It is beautiful

Bob also used it in the background of a scene in his fishing show. I imagine it must be from some audio library, but I'd love to know too.

the

I don't know where the Beardsley tune is from, but I do know that the Chinese theme is called Ambershire, and is from the Danosongs library.

SteveDave

lebowskibukowski

No spoilers but the long story is a belter!

Pseudopath

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on July 20, 2018, 04:22:48 PM

Thank Christ it was because Andy's bits were woeful. "Aye...I'll be fuckin' glad of the break from you, you fuckin' creepy prick!"

magval

The first 18 minutes of this episode is the worst I can remember Mince ever being. Bob's in really nasty form and Andy's never good unless they're both in a good mood. Really, really dreadful stuff. I love this show to pieces but if this was the first one I heard I'd reconsider listening again.

Like you've all said, the (only) Bob story is really good, but I'd not hesitate to recommend skipping the first 18 minutes unless you love Andy's songs and when they do their own advertising.

DrGreggles

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on July 20, 2018, 04:22:48 PM

That story is peak Mince!

Thanks for the heads up about which part to skip. I've started to not be too bothered about AM these days, the quality is too patchy and I think they should knock it on the head.

non capisco

I think they still have the capability to knock it out of the park, the Gangs Of The EPL a couple of episodes back was one of the finest ever. Maybe go on hiatus for a bit while Bob's still working on Big Night Out though? His heart clearly wasn't in the the latest one, the only remotely good section was his extended story and even that wasn't quite as spectacular as it should have been given that it was a big multi-character worlds colliding epic like the final episode of 'Limmy's World Of Glasgow'. (I did love the 'ring sting?' joke though) And 'Steve from South Shields' was probably the Andy nadir, which is saying something.

SteveDave

I laughed so hard at Mrs Beardsley's "Nice cock by the way...Peter's looks like (something that I've forgotten)" that my wife thought I was drowning.

I was listening to it in the bath.

niat

"Like a chicken wing" It's the title of the episode!

Bhazor

Quote from: SteveDave on July 23, 2018, 01:58:51 PM
I laughed so hard at Mrs Beardsley's "Nice cock by the way...Peter's looks like (something that I've forgotten)" that my wife thought I was drowning.

I was listening to it in the bath.

Still not as good as "I heard it looks like a toffee hammer when it's on the bonk"

DrGreggles

Mrs Beardsley is stealing the show these days.

Ferris

"Yer a good lad, Peter"

Always gets me laughing.

Bhazor

Good episode that. I like that Peter Beardsley's wife and South African anal fiend are starting to soften up. Get the feeling Bob just likes his characters. It also had a bit more air between skits which does help it flow better than when its just Bob reading out monologues one by one.

Am missing the songs though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, Bob has obviously grown fond of these characters. Even the South African gang-banger has a touch of pathos about him these days.

Bob's comedy is generally warm and benign, but I did find it quite uncomfortable when he started pressing Andy about his love life. I know he was just messing about, there was no malicious intent, but that bit skirted too close to 'real life' for comfort. Fair play to Andy for keeping it in, but Athletico Mince works best when it's just the pair of them talking nonsense. We don't want to intrude upon their actual lives.

Bob started to pull back when he realised that Andy didn't feel like mining that subject for laughs, but it was still rather awkward. 

bgmnts

I will be a bit of a downer and say the last few havent really been doing it for me like they used to.

Saturday night I chucked on Steve's Restaurant Showdown and I was just laughing out loud in Asda. Maybe that's when they peaked who knows.

Still enjoying Beardsley, though.