Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Still a mixed bag, not so keen on the South Africa stories but on the other hand I do like Barry Homeowner. And gangs of the EPL is still holding up.

phantom_power

I have just started listening to this and absolutely love it. Bob Mortimer is one of the most naturally funny people on the planet. His way with word, accents and voices is delightful. The other blokes doesn't really bother me but doesn't add much to the proceedings. Gangs of the EPL and the South Africa stories are my favourite bits. I love how he has started asking if the stories are like some unrelated film, and the odd "that's nice innit" when talking about some added touch or other.

DING DONG! LANDLORD HERE!

doppelkorn

I think this is hitting what will probably be its peak period. Bit disappointed the "surplus of tut" Scottish island stories have gone quiet though.

The mid-head ham oxbow lake song floored me last week (or whenever it was).

Cuellar

Mid-head oxbow was definitely a highlight of recent episodes.

Also the intermittent appearance of the machine that shags you.

Blinder Data

Barry Homeowner's song was strangely moving.

I love Bob's facking South African stories - ya gotta love 'em!

Enzo

I nearly lost it with the dodgy chinese accent on "gangbangers, you gotta ruv'em"

doppelkorn

He wanted to change the channel by kicking you up the arse

Enzo

There was also this. I can't not hear Bob's Harry Kane when I see him.

Quote from: doppelkorn on August 29, 2017, 02:43:11 PM
I think this is hitting what will probably be its peak period. Bit disappointed the "surplus of tut" Scottish island stories have gone quiet though.

I haven't listened for a while, what week number would you say is the best to jump back in?

Ferris

Got up to ep 11 in a few days, think it's cracking so far. Just some mad people from the north east having a chat about mad stuff. Would recommend. 8/10.

phantom_power

Quote from: Enzo on August 29, 2017, 10:27:23 PM
There was also this. I can't not hear Bob's Harry Kane when I see him.

This has left me feeling very fluffery buffery and no mistake.

I started with the latest few and have started on the first ones now as I need a fix. The early ones are very different aren't they. They actually talk about football

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on August 30, 2017, 08:07:34 AM
The early ones are very different aren't they. They actually talk about football

They mention football in the early ones, but not much.
My girlfriend hates football, but loves Athletico Mince, so they can't talk about it often.

I find it baffling that anyone would listen to these out of sequence. The running jokes must make even less sense.

phantom_power

For some reason I thought there were hundreds so I listened to the latest few to see if they were any good and now I am working my way from the start, while listening to the latest ones as they arrive

doppelkorn

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 29, 2017, 10:46:46 PM
I haven't listened for a while, what week number would you say is the best to jump back in?

Maybe 35?

Enzo

The Peter Beardsley "song" in the latest episode... I had to pause it to breathe through the laughter.

dr beat

Latest one is an absolute corker.

phantom_power

As much as I don't find Andy as offensive as others on here, he really is dead weight on this podcast. Any time spent on his stuff us leaves you wanting another Mortimer flight of fancy

spamwangler

I quite like Andy in this, I don't usually like podcasts where one person gets bullied every week, but Andy is such a pratt I'm ok with it

phantom_power

I don't think he is bullied. They both rib each other. Andy has his blue drink and dippers and Mortimer is a millionaire with servants

spamwangler

Quote from: phantom_power on September 27, 2017, 10:37:00 PM
I don't think he is bullied. They both rib each other. Andy has his blue drink and dippers and Mortimer is a millionaire with servants

Maybe not bullied, but I feel that Andys shots at bob glance off him where as Andy can't help but get a bit wound up by the blue drink stuff. That's how I like to imagine it any rate

Enzo

Despite my dislike for Andy on social media, I don't mind him too much on the podcast. Used to enjoy the Corbyn stories (which mysteriously stopped after the General Election results) and he gives things a good go rather than just sitting there laughing at Bob for the entire podcast, which is pretty much what I would do.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

They have a good rapport, listening to them ramble a load of old nonsense is a lovely way of spending an hour.

As Enzo says, if all Andy did was laugh at Bob's flights of fancy, his role would be redundant. But I think he does a good job of joining in while remembering to sit back when Bob is on a roll. Without him, it would just be Bob wittering away to himself, which wouldn't really work. He needs a foil, someone to bounce off.

Bob is obviously one of the funniest men in the world, I think I'd be too in awe if I somehow found myself co-hosting a podcast with him. Andy clearly adores him, but he's not afraid of taking the piss. The balance of power is roughly equal, they both needle each other in a good-natured way.

asids

Andy may be a dick on Twitter but he's generally pretty great on the actual podcast. The Dominic Littlewood stuff on the latest episode was brilliant.

phantom_power

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 27, 2017, 11:47:59 PM

But I think he does a good job of joining in while remembering to sit back when Bob is on a roll.

He is a lot better at this than he used to be. I have been going back to the earlier ones and it is frustrating when he cuts Bob down in mid-flow to server his "surly bastard" persona. He definitely doesn't do that as much any more

SteveDave

I stopped listening to this because of Andy Dawson but I downloaded the latest and almost choked on my plate of chips n beans at his train station announcements.

DrGreggles

I fucking love Athletico Mince.

rapid relief

yeah his dominic littlewood accent really tickled me.
hope he becomes a regular character

Quote from: asids on September 28, 2017, 12:23:00 AM
Andy may be a dick on Twitter but he's generally pretty great on the actual podcast. The Dominic Littlewood stuff on the latest episode was brilliant.

Depressed Beyond Tables

It would be great if Andy was just the straight man, maybe tell a few anecdotes, real life stories, and leave Bob to be Bob interjecting in his own way. You can't compete with Bob's absurd notions, and if you try to it only highlights your shortcomings.

spamwangler

i love andys german/northen songs, and the absolute revulsion they instill in bob

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 28, 2017, 02:49:26 PM
I fucking love Athletico Mince.

Me too. It's fucking lovely. Bob is probably the most effortlessly funny human currently incarnated. Don't really get people griping about Andy, he seems alright to me. He's necessary for the dynamic, gets involved but lets Bob weave his magic. The light hearted piss taking between the two is fucking great as well and is one of the things that really makes me laugh, just the odd interjected "fuck off" or Bob talking about Andy's tits is enough to set me off.

As mentioned above it wouldn't work with Bob just waffling away by himself, he needs someone to bounce off and Andy provides that well, sometimes being amusing himself without trying to take the limelight too much.

But yes. Fucking love it. Missing the Scottish songs/tales as well though.

"Tuts to spare"